Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stuffed peppers

Options
  • 08-07-2010 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

I want to find a recipe for stuffed peppers that doesn't include rice or breadcrumbs which is proving to be very difficult. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

How about stuffing it with Bulgar or Cous Cous, both with some herbs and some diced roasted med veg etc?

Qunioa is also awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

lentils.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tufterween

Sorry, I wasn't clear the first time. I'm on a low carb diet and am looking for a stuffing without carbs

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

On occasion Iv made stuffed peppers with nothing but veg and herbs like mushrooms other pepper, chili, mangetout, broccoli, anything thats in the fridge really and just season it. chopped up very small so its nearly like a cous cous of veg! A bit time consuming but very filling and delicious! I aim for nice colours and texture and it always seems to work!

Alternatively, why dont you stuff with minced meat? I know my grandmother used do a gorgeous stuffed beef tomato with a minced lamb concoction. There are probably loads of recipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

tufterween wrote: »
    I want to find a recipe for stuffed peppers that doesn't include rice or breadcrumbs which is proving to be very difficult. Can anyone help?

I came up with something a while back :

Chop and fry 1 onion. Once the onion turns transparent, add ca. 1 cup of red lentils (no need to soak in advance, they'll cook nicely) and 1 tin of chopped tomatoes. Leave to simmer for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft. If the mixture gets too dry, add some stock.

Season with salt and pepper to taste, place the peppers on a tray, stuff them and put into the oven for another 20 mins (to allow the peppers to cook through). Once the peppers are cooked, take the tray out and sprinkle generously with grated cheese (Edam or Gouda is best for this), then return to the oven or under the grill until the cheese has melted and slightly browned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

tufterween wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't clear the first time. I'm on a low carb diet and am looking for a stuffing without carbs

Oh, didn't see that before posting, sorry.

You could try roast vegetables... I'm thinking more peppers, mushrooms, onions, bit of garlic and olives? All roasted and with some Aivar sauce on top for spicing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, spinach or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Try putting chilli, spag bol, mince curry or even cubed chicken in tomato sauce in it. The protein fills you up nicely and it doesn't leak if you make the sauce slightly thicker then normal

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tufterween

Thanks everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 its_just_me

You're probably looking for something with a bit more substance but these are absolutely delish..

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/party-food/accompaniment/piedmont-roasted-peppers.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Barney Magoo

I agree with previous poster. These are delicious. No carbs for you, but for me great with soft white bread to mop up the juices. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Advertisement