Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same IP address

Options
  • 08-07-2010 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Ok I'll be the first to admit that I know relatively little about the inner workings of computers so I need a bit of help here :confused:

Every time I switch on my laptop a message pops up saying something along the lines of 'Another computer in the network has the same IP address as you etc etc'

What does this mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Simple Explanation

Your IP is like your Home Address. (John Doe, 43 MyHouse Street, Dublin 1)

Computers send packages to your IP for your computer to deal with.

When you log on to a network, your PC either has a Static IP or a Dynamic IP.

If you have a Static IP, it means you told the computer what IP you need\want.

Most computers would have a DHCP IP, this means that when your computer starts it realises that you havent given it a Static IP, and says to the Network "hey, Ive no IP, can you give me one?" In which case the DHCP Server will say yes, and the details will Automatically be assigned to your computer.

The Error you are seeing is when two computers have been given the SAME IP address, so the network doesnt know where to deliver packages.

Some likely scenarios are that one PC, has been given a Static IP and because the DHCP Server doesnt know about it, it will try to give out that IP again...

If you go to a command prompt by clicking on Start, Run, and in the box type "CMD", a little black box will pop in. In that black box, type "IPCONFIG /all"

This will tell you if you have a DHCP or Static IP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Thank you :) I actually understood that! I know you had to dumb it down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Simple Explanation

Your IP is like your Home Address. (John Doe, 43 MyHouse Street, Dublin 1)

Computers send packages to your IP for your computer to deal with.

When you log on to a network, your PC either has a Static IP or a Dynamic IP.

If you have a Static IP, it means you told the computer what IP you need\want.

Most computers would have a DHCP IP, this means that when your computer starts it realises that you havent given it a Static IP, and says to the Network "hey, Ive no IP, can you give me one?" In which case the DHCP Server will say yes, and the details will Automatically be assigned to your computer.

The Error you are seeing is when two computers have been given the SAME IP address, so the network doesnt know where to deliver packages.

Some likely scenarios are that one PC, has been given a Static IP and because the DHCP Server doesnt know about it, it will try to give out that IP again...

If you go to a command prompt by clicking on Start, Run, and in the box type "CMD", a little black box will pop in. In that black box, type "IPCONFIG /all"

This will tell you if you have a DHCP or Static IP
    ^^
    Should be Stickied!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to Net & Comms.

Perfect answer Static M.e.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

I've alway's enjoyed static's posts - i suspect you have been in some sort of training / teaching role before - if not .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yep it does indeed sound like one PC has a static IP in the DHCP pool range.

Advertisement