Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D90 v Canon 550d

• 08-07-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

As the title says, looking at finally getting a dslr , my faithful sony cybershot finally kicked the bucket. Had more or less decided on a d5000 but then came across the 550d, - the 18 mp and HD video catching my eye and i didnt like the tilting viewfinder on the d5000.

So the D90 is more or less the same price as the 550d , which one should i go for ?

I just want it for general use, nothing particular but want to get one that will last a few years and will not become outdated - hence im leaning towards the newer Canon .

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

They compared those very 2 directly in one of the big mags a few months back. Even though the canon is much newer, they reckoned it a very fair contest as they're very similar in many ways - bar the much higher MP count on the canon. All I remember is the Nikon won in the IQ stakes, but the canon won on features. I think. very close call. Whichever 'feels' right to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

hey cheers for the quick reply , ya im leaning towards the canon , have looked at both and like the feel of the canon, also its a fair bit lighter which i would also prefer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be very wary about using pixel count as a casting vote on a camera - it's good to have, but you'll probably find that the number of times you'll need the extra pixels is quite small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The only advantage I remember them mentioning about the higher mp count was if you like to crop images a lot. Other than that, the D90 was more than a match in terms of IQ.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

i'd be very wary about using pixel count as a casting vote on a camera - it's good to have, but you'll probably find that the number of times you'll need the extra pixels is quite small.

Agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Regardless of the features of each this still boils down to a Nikon Vs Canon debate as whatever you choose you will no doubt be investing all your camera money in lens & equipment for that particular brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Canon 550d has bigger pixel count,good for cropping, bad for the digital noise that gets in picture because of smaller pixels. D90 has little bit bigger sensor, smaller pixel count,i guess bigger pixels, less noise in picture.
    canon can record fool HD quality video, 1080p 30fps. Nikon only 720p
    Hope that of some help.Use google to find out more.
    My opinion nikon would take better picture,but again,lots depends from lenses. Personally I have canon 500d ,chose because of hd video recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

cheers guys , reakon il go with the canon, going to pick one up later in galway

Advertisement