Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

htc evo

Options
  • 08-07-2010 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

anyone know when this is out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

i heard it might not be coming here unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

American market only

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

thats a bit poo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

thats a bit poo :(
    It uses CDMA bands which are only used in the States (and japan iirc).

Very much doubt that HTC are going to make a GSM version.

I agree, it is a bit poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

motorola has just annouced some similar spec'ed devices recently, which should get a european release.

the evo isn't compatible with the european networks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

wont come here unfortunattely...buy the hd2! android build is in development ( not finished for everyday use yet but alot of features working and wont be long till its usable for everyday ) ++ u get to dual boot :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The HTC Desire HD is being rumoured now. The EVO is only suitable for the CDMA market. It's different tech and quite a niche Market compared to GSM/UMTS.

Our networks can provide as good / better connectivity than what Sprint are branding as 4g in the states. using HSPA+ GSM networks really do go pretty fast!

Even on my iPhone I'm getting 6mbit/s in Cork City centre on vodafone. HSPA+ is much faster again.

We'll get an similar handset with better networks behind it than that CDMA / wimax cludge :)

Solair wrote: »
    The HTC Desire HD is being rumoured now. The EVO is only suitable for the CDMA market. It's different tech and quite a niche Market compared to GSM/UMTS.

Our networks can provide as good / better connectivity than what Sprint are branding as 4g in the states. using HSPA+ GSM networks really do go pretty fast!

Even on my iPhone I'm getting 6mbit/s in Cork City centre on vodafone. HSPA+ is much faster again.

We'll get an similar handset with better networks behind it than that CDMA / wimax cludge :)

yeah but the desire IS UGLY ugghhhhh...we want evoooooooooooo

yeah but the desire IS UGLY ugghhhhh...we want evoooooooooooo

The leaks indicate the Desire HD will have a unibody aluminium case like the Legend ! It should look better than the EVO.

Bigger display than desire, 8 mp camera 4gb internal storage, android 2.2 of course etc etc
    http://i.engadget.com/2010/07/15/rumored-htc-desire-hd-specs-surface-4-3-inch-screen-8-megapixe

Desire HD might not be the actual launch name either.

even so desire hd2 doesnt seem to have plans to bring in the 3rd gen qualcomm processors :) so i think il wait for the next hd2 :)

• Advertisement

There's really nothing preventing them from putting a GSM/UMTS radio module into an EVO & marketing to the vast GSM market.

Again those leaks could be wrong. They may be including newer processors. It sounds like they've discovered that people like the legend & think the desire is too plasticy

Big legend, better screen, better processor etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

There's really nothing preventing them from putting a GSM/UMTS radio module into an EVO & marketing to the vast GSM market.

Again those leaks could be wrong. They may be including newer processors. It sounds like they've discovered that people like the legend & think the desire is too plasticy

Big legend, better screen, better processor etc etc

Given the name is actually Evo 4G, it'll be simpler for them to change the design slightly and sell it under a different name. Saves undermining questions about the lack of the 4G part.

Given the name is actually Evo 4G, it'll be simpler for them to change the design slightly and sell it under a different name. Saves undermining questions about the lack of the 4G part.

There are already questions about it's 4G badge :) Sprint is using 3G CDMA and there is a wimax chip in the phone which uses clearwire when that signal is available.

The data speeds are mostly SLOWER than what we call 3G in Europe! Certainly slower than the latest build-out of HSPA+ networks. These are already on air in Ireland.

LTE is true 4G and it's up to 20 times faster than the stuff Sprint us badging as 4G

Remember US networks even branded EDGE as 3G at one stage!

Don't be over-impressed by the marketing hype.

There are already questions about it's 4G badge :) Sprint is using 3G CDMA and there is a wimax chip in the phone which uses clearwire when that signal is available.

The data speeds are mostly SLOWER than what we call 3G in Europe! Certainly slower than the latest build-out of HSPA+ networks. These are already on air in Ireland.

LTE is true 4G and it's up to 20 times faster than the stuff Sprint us badging as 4G

Remember US networks even branded EDGE as 3G at one stage!

Don't be over-impressed by the marketing hype.

I understand the difference, but your post in itself is the very reason to call it something else.

who cares about the 4G we want just the phone :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I understand the difference, but your post in itself is the very reason to call it something else.

I doubt it'll be called evo anyway.

I wonder if part of the issue is an exclusivity deal with Sprint? They probably don't want to see their pride & joy running faster on T-Mobile USA or AT&T's 3G networks than on their "4G" tech :)

European 3G is possibly even more likely to show them up :)

who cares about the 4G we want just the phone :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Given that its one of sprints main selling points and that HTC have included it in the Phones name, i'd imagine quite a few. The phone by it's name, features and marketing makes it impossible to divorce from the radios it carries.

Given that its one of sprints main selling points and that HTC have included it in the Phones name, i'd imagine quite a few. The phone by it's name, features and marketing makes it impossible to divorce from the radios it carries.

oh well :)i have my hd2 now :) and today we got a release fix to make the android on hd2 quite stable soooo :) im happy enough having the hd2 :P

Yeah, but in reality the branding's just branding. The gsm operators at this rate could reasonably call HSPA+ 4G !

oh well :)i have my hd2 now :) and today we got a release fix to make the android on hd2 quite stable soooo :) im happy enough having the hd2 :P

The Hd2 is imho easily the best looking handset on the market today, much better than the Evo 4g, i'd definitely consider one if Android was stable on it.

• Advertisement

yeah well we got a fix for stability for it today where it doesnt have sleep of death issues but lmao we got another one where the backlight doesnt come back up once it goes down :) lol but once they fix backlight it should be pretty much suitable to use all day now

so sit and wait...tbh i preffer HD2 to evo...but i want HDMi out and the 8MP camera and the kickstand ( would be handy when i play ps1 games on my hd2) :)

Advertisement