Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to another place - problem with room mate

Options
  • 08-07-2010 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope someone here can help me.

I will move to another appartment soon and it seems like I'm facing some problems.

My room mate and I moved in our apartment on 3rd March 2010. Before that we had contact via e-mail. I explained to her that I will move out around June or July. She said that this would be absolutely no problem.

I explained that I’ll move out this weekend and since she agreed before we moved in, I don’t want to pay the rent for the whole month. Of course she wasn't happy about that, but I told her that I welcome any suggestion how we can handle it but she didn't even go into that offer.

I would really appreciate to arrange this in a positive way, so I think I need some advice.
    Unfortunately I’m not sure for how long I signed the lease contract, but I’ll call my landlord as soon as possible.

If you need any further information to help in this matter (or know any consultant in Cork City) just let me know by answering this post.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

Fyda wrote: »
    Hi all,

I hope someone here can help me.

I will move to another appartment soon and it seems like I'm facing some problems.

My room mate and I moved in our apartment on 3rd March 2010. Before that we had contact via e-mail. I explained to her that I will move out around June or July. She said that this would be absolutely no problem.

I explained that I’ll move out this weekend and since she agreed before we moved in, I don’t want to pay the rent for the whole month. Of course she wasn't happy about that, but I told her that I welcome any suggestion how we can handle it but she didn't even go into that offer.

I would really appreciate to arrange this in a positive way, so I think I need some advice.
    Unfortunately I’m not sure for how long I signed the lease contract, but I’ll call my landlord as soon as possible.

If you need any further information to help in this matter (or know any consultant in Cork City) just let me know by answering this post.

Thanks in advance!

how much notice did you give your flatmate?
    saying you will move out around June or July can mean anytime in
    those two months, did you only tell her this week that you were planning on moving this weekend?

if you dont want to pay the rent for the whole month did you not advertise you room on daft or organsise a replacement to pay your portion
    of the rent?

from the details above it sounds like your leaving your flatmate in the lurch a bit having to cover your rent along with her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

when did you tell her you were moving out thsi weekend ? You ahve to give her valid notice you cannot refer to a conversation saying im moving out june or july before moving in as notice.

if you haven given valid notice you should be paying for the full month of july

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Donno how binding it is if you don't have a lease, but it's typically good form to give people a month from the date of notice before you movie out.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I agree with the post above. Its good practice to give a months notice. Giving a few days notice based on an email sent months ago, if thats what you did, doesn't seem that fair on the other flatmate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

If your lease is with a landlord (as opposed to a sublet from your flat-mate) then I don't understand what it has to do with your flat-mate ... surely it's your landlord you should be informing and trying to avoid paying.

Either way, find out what you signed and act in accordance with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fyda

Thank you all!

To answer your questions:

At first, I only said "June or July", but I told her around 5 weeks ago that I will move out in the first two weeks of July. I also tried to find another next tenant so she doesn't have to pay the whole rent on her own. Unfortunately nobody wanted to move into the room I advertised (altough it's a really nice house). So she actually knew that I intended to move out (which makes the rent for her not cheaper, of course...)

I tried to find a way to solve this in a good way but...it didn't sound like she was interested in this.

Let's see what my landlord suggests. I don't want my room mate to be forced to move out, neither I want to think her that I'm evil or something...but as already said, I told her 5 weeks ago that I will move out and back then it was no problem and now...I'd really like to talk to her but I don't know if that's possible. Both of us have our opinions...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I do not see how this is anything to do with the landlord. You and your room mate are still both liable to pay the rent in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fyda

That's what I actually think too. But...yes. Since we will be still neighbours and work in the same company I hope I'll find a good way to resolve this, I don't want a big public name and shame...:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

I'm sorry but now I'm intrigued :)

Who did you sign the lease with? Who do you pay your rent to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

That's what I actually think too. But...yes. Since we will be still neighbours and work in the same company I hope I'll find a good way to resolve this, I don't want a big public name and shame...:/

Well if you want to stay friends with your flatmate then your only option is to stay there and pay rent until you find someone else to take your room.

Cant really see any other option as otherwise she will have to either pay all the rent or leave the place as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

If the rent is paid by the month what exactly made you assume that you could only pay for part of a month?

I love the way people in houseshares make presumptions about money etc without actually finding out what the exact process should be then come off as the victim.

You say you signed the lease with the landlord and you organised it all with your flatmate, did you avoid talking to the landlord because you knew in the back of your mind you would get hit for the full months rent?

Advertisement