Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd/4th Place Playoff - Germany v Uruguay - Who wins? Paul decides

• 08-07-2010 5:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Forget Klose. Forget Forlan.

This game is about one thing only - can Paul keep his 100% record?

octopus_630.jpg

After shamefully doubting him in the semi finals, I'll be fully behind our friend the cephalopod.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Let the little bastard try to guess the winner of 1 league game from a different league in Europe every week, then we'll see!

Germany for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Germany, but will wait for Paul to decide.

All hail Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Hope Klose can get two goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

a99.jpg

Uruguay -v- Deutschland

Match 63- 3rd place play-off
    Port Elizabeth
    Saturday 10th July
    7.30 PM

• Advertisement

_Bella_ wrote: »

I hope NOT, he did nothing against Spain so he doesn't deserve such acclaim to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

'Cos every player performs every match. Only Forlan and Villa have matched his workrate at this WC.

He wasn't even first choice for Bayern last season. Ronaldo was first choice for Real Madrid, Pele for Santos, Muller for Bayern.

An accolade of that honour doesn't deserve to be beholded upon a player who doesn't get his game for his club IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

CorkMan wrote: »
    He wasn't even first choice for Bayern last season. Ronaldo was first choice for Real Madrid, Pele for Santos, Muller for Bayern.

An accolade of that honour doesn't deserve to be beholded upon a player who doesn't get his game for his club IMO.

An accolade of that honour deserves to go to the person who scores the most goals. The fact that he's had a torrid time and yet been able to turn it on in the World Cup is even more remarkable. If he does it he will most certainly deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Who gives a flying f*ck about club football?

Richard Kingson has been released by Wigan after being third choice. Had a great World Cup.

Mark Paston only played for New Zealand because their first choice was suspended. He was excellent.

Who was Vincent Enyeama six weeks ago? Barely known outside Football Manager.

They've all upstaged better players in their position just like Klose.

If players can turn it on for their country then fair play to them. They put in a better showing than the 'superstars' and deserve the plaudits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If players can turn it on for their country then fair play to them. They put in a better showing than the 'superstars' and deserve the plaudits.

spot on dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Fair play to Paul I heard he is English and arrived in Germany like a lot of his countrymen in a tank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its a pointless match........so yes let the octopus decide, probably more entertaining anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Don't expect Klose, Podolski et al to be playing. Both teams will have the guts of their subs benches playing.

They only thing to look forward to in this match is Paul and Apres Match

flanzer wrote: »
    Don't expect Klose, Podolski et al to be playing. Both teams will have the guts of their subs benches playing.

Nah Klose will definitely play. It will probably be his last WC match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I went against that octopus last night. :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I want Paul to play up front with Klose.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

That_Guy wrote: »
    I went against that octopus last night. :(

You fool!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i see germany taking the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I hope not Ronaldo been my favourite soccer player ever, pure awesome, Klose is brilliant in world cups too though and no doubt he will be starting i think he will defo get at least one goal unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Can see this match being a far better spectacle and exhibition of football than the final tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

flanzer wrote: »

By the way RTE are doing a Apres match special, i.e the whole show will be Apres match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Germany by a distance. Klose hat-trick to finish it off as it started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I hope Klose does not score in the joke 3rd/4th place playoff. I would hate to see him equal Ronaldo's record in a game where you get reserves playing and there is no pressure.

I hope either Villa or Sneidjer win the Golden Boot.

Reports are saying Miroslav Klose appears to be doubtful for Saturday's match against Uruguay after sustaining a back injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

eagle eye wrote: »
    I hope Klose does not score in the joke 3rd/4th place playoff. I would hate to see him equal Ronaldo's record in a game where you get reserves playing and there is no pressure.

I hope either Villa or Sneidjer win the Golden Boot.

I'm sure there was tons of pressure on Ronaldo in 2006 when - against the mighty Japan - he scored two on the last day of the group stages with Japan sitting on one point from their nil all and Brazil being through already on 6 points.

I like Ronaldo myself, but if Klose gets it he deserves it. It's not as if he scored against minnows only or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Reports are saying Miroslav Klose appears to be doubtful for Saturday's match against Uruguay after sustaining a back injury

That is according to goal.com, will be gutted for him if he doesn't play, i want him to atleast to equal the record, would love him to break it.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/07/08/2016156/world-cup-2010-germany-striker-miroslav-klose-could-miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Who was Vincent Enyeama six weeks ago? Barely known outside Football Manager.

But everyone that did play FM tipped him love it :D Cherno Samba was just short of ripping it up as well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    That is according to goal.com, will be gutted for him if he doesn't play, i want him to atleast to equal the record, would love him to break it.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/07/08/2016156/world-cup-2010-germany-striker-miroslav-klose-could-miss
    And BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8802187.stm

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Paul knows all. He also predicted Spain to win the final. Im not one to doubt Paul but his prediction history has only been for German games but what do i know :D

1270783_full-lnd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Paul goes for the colours man....does he kick the ball around his Garden I wonder? I'd like to be there:) uruguay to win!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

lordgoat wrote: »
    I want Paul to play up front with Klose.

He'd probably make a better keeper ;)
    prinz wrote: »
    Can see this match being a far better spectacle and exhibition of football than the final tbh.

Always are, the pressures off both teams so it usually ends in the best game of the tournament!
    1270783_full-lnd.jpg

Why is it that any picture of seen of this fella he picks the tank on the right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly! There is no mystery to this. Just luck.

Anyway Germany to try and get Klose into the record books tonight I think. He certainly won't get another chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

mike65 wrote: »
    Exactly! There is no mystery to this. Just luck.

Anyway Germany to try and get Klose into the record books tonight I think. He certainly won't get another chance.

Bring him to Facepalm 2014 and sub him on in the event of a penalty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr Moon wrote: »
    Why is it that any picture of seen of this fella he picks the tank on the right??

15660247_crop_340x234.jpg?1278424395

How the hell did this all START??? Did the manager point at the octopus and think "I zink he's zyshic" and judge his supernatural abilities by predicting Germany results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Next week i want to see Paul as a contestant on Deal Or No Deal!

See how the little fcuker gets on there!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

How the hell did this all START??? Did the manager point at the octopus and think "I zink he's zyshic" and judge his supernatural abilities by predicting Germany results?

From Wiki
    According to Sea Life's entertainment director, Daniel Fey, Paul demonstrated intelligence early in life:

There was something about the way he looked at our visitors when they came close to the tank. It was so unusual, so we tried to find out what his special talents were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Hope he predicts all the forthoming bundesliga games,

I sense a huge accumulator whopper

Sorry if this has been posted already, just heard

The Apres Match lads are presenting the entire game tonight instead of Bill and the lads, should be worth a watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

[quote=[Deleted User];66849080]Sorry if this has been posted already, just heard

The Apres Match lads are presenting the entire game tonight instead of Bill and the lads, should be worth a watch[/QUOTE]

I've been looking forward to it all week.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

21029472.jpg

Lineups suggest Germany dont seem to bothered - I count 4 changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Wow. Neuer, Lahm, Podolski and Klose all on the bench.

LoL - Paddy Power have just shortened Uruguays odds and lengthened Germanys since the lineups were announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Underdog tends to always win the 3rd place playoff if past memories are anything to go by - Croatia, Germany (were unfancied against Portugal), Turkey (against the home nation) and Sweden (arguable).

Uruguay to win and Forlan to score any time for me having seen those lineups.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Uruguay to win and Forlan to score any time for me having seen those lineups.
    Backed Uruguay myself, then remembered I went against Paul :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement