Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"NGB" (Next Generation Broadband), does it improve connection speed?

• 08-07-2010 8:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on 3 Mb, and my DSL router connects at 2 Mb. Once NGB becomes available at my exchange, while I know it will never connect at the full 8 Mb or anywhere near that, is it likely that it will slightly improve the speed at which my DSL router connects at?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

You should post the router stats. Do you know how far you are from the exchange?

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 t_moore

depends how far from the exchange you are its only fibre cable running to the exchange its still copper pair running to your premises so depends on the distance and condition of your line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So called "NGB" does nothing at all for connection speed. It only reduces latency and contention on the shared backhaul.

Some people on heavily subscribed exchanges will see speed increase at peak times. But no increase in sync speed unless they are on a 1Mbps package. The "NGB" package charges by traffic rather than connection speed, so line connects at the fastest it would have reliably supported before "NGB" as the line and DSLAM in exchange is not changed at all. The "8Mbps" is simply top speed with perfect line close to original type ADSL exchange. Average will be 3Mbps and lowest 1Mbps.

Sadly many of the most congested (high contention on backhaul) exchanges seem to be not yet upgraded.

Advertisement