Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest dslr around at the moment?

• 08-07-2010 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

Every other day someone asks for advice on buying their first dslr, and often budget is an important factor. Might be nice to have one thread with any bargains [on new equipment only] you come across in your trawls across the net, or sales you might have spotted locally.

Argos now have the Sony Alpha 230 w/kit lens for €323.99

As an A200 user I can vouch for the IQ, for the price range - I don't like the style/lack of grip on the newer A230, but at that price it is a total bargain! It's never been cheaper to get a brand new dslr. And with Alphas you can hunt for old Minolta lenses [like the legendary 50mm f/1.7 AF, found on ebay for around €100] and because the camera has body IS those old minolta lenses are stabilised automatically.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

That Sony A230, with kit lense, is the cheapest DSLR on the market atm.

The Sony A330 & 18-55mm kit lense is £329stg (€400 approx.), in Jessops NI.

The Canon 1000D with EF-S 18-55mm (non-IS) kit lense is £360stg inc. del., on Amazon.co.uk

The Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm VR kit lense, is £334.70stg inc. del., on Amazon.co.uk

My personal favourite in that segment, is the Nikon D5000 - but it's a fair bit more expensive at £480stg, with 18-55 VR lense, at Jessops NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have to say, if I had a spare 300 odd quid i'd be on that a230 in a heartbeat, ditch the canon no questions asked. my first dslr was a minolta 5d, and i loved it. Stupid thieves. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Where was it stolen from? The feckers. My sister's house was burgled last week, they got her Flat screen tv, camera and a few other bits. Hard enough pay for these things without the horrible feeling someone's been in your home!

The Sony cams are great value in general, they easily match any of their rivals in the same class. The A230 is on the cheap now because they have added a couple of new entry level dslrs to their range

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1006/10060901sonya390a290.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Was stolen (along with a p&S, passport, laptop, wallet...) from a locked boot in Leicester about a year ago. The feckers locked the bloody car again after. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Your poor sis though, that's horrible. :(

it is horrible, not like it 's a terribly cheap investment either, but prices are coming down. I deffo would go back to the minolta/sony system in a heartbeat though, they feel so nice in my hands, and i think the optics are class. But hey, my Dad shoots canon and offered me his old 10D, so needs have as needs must when you're a broke student!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm so glad I bought the A200. Great camera for the price. I'd say its the same with the A230 except for the slightly different grip

• Advertisement
Advertisement