Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good vets in Portarlington or around?

Options
  • 08-07-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi all

recently got a gorgeous new dog and we want to bring him for a checkup... I know there's a vets on Patrick St - can anyone recommend them or any other vets in the area?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I've never had a problem with the vets in Patrick Street. I'm going to them now 5 years and the dogs have been vacinated, tagged & spade there and never a problem. They only do certain hours though as their main HQ is in Monasterevin.

genie_us wrote: »
    Hi all

recently got a gorgeous new dog

By the way, I saw you out walking him the other day. I swear I'm not stalking you :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Roaster wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with the vets in Patrick Street. I'm going to them now 5 years and the dogs have been vacinated, tagged & spade there and never a problem. They only do certain hours though as their main HQ is in Monasterevin.

Ah cool thanks a mil - just made the appt they're open til half 7 which is handy
    :)

Edit -
    I only noticed it was you after you passed by!

Ah cool thanks a mil - just made the appt they're open til half 7 which is handy
    :)

Edit -
    I only noticed it was you after you passed by!

It was my ass wasn't it ;)

eehhmmmmmm..... sure! Why not! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

On that point, my mother recently found out that if you bring your pet to them in the morning treatment is cheaper! Don't know exactly how much cheaper but suffice it to say our dog will be visiting in the mornings if at all possible!

littlebsci wrote: »
    On that point, my mother recently found out that if you bring your pet to them in the morning treatment is cheaper! Don't know exactly how much cheaper but suffice it to say our dog will be visiting in the mornings if at all possible!

No way! That's mad I'll defo test that out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

No way! That's mad I'll defo test that out anyway

Yeah I thought is was nuts! Think she was quoted different prices for his year injections! Honestly don't know about other stuff though.

littlebsci wrote: »
    Yeah I thought is was nuts! Think she was quoted different prices for his year injections! Honestly don't know about other stuff though.

Well if they do I'll let you know :)

I know they do a social welfare rate too, if you know someone who would bring him in.

The one thing I would say is that they are not the cheapest but they are very good.

• Advertisement

Roaster wrote: »
    I know they do a social welfare rate too, if you know someone who would bring him in.

The one thing I would say is that they are not the cheapest but they are very good.

Even if I bring the dog in tonight and then someone else brings him another time?

Even if I bring the dog in tonight and then someone else brings him another time?

Not sure about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

Do your dog a favour and stay clear, the main vet while good is very rude to clients, dont seem to like small animals. Is not loyal to his clients has been struck of the dogs trust nuetering for charging people €50 instead of €20.
    His prices have gone down on a TUE, Wed and Thur morning because no one is going to him.
    His boarding kennels sre a discrace, well they where 2 yrs ago i seen it myself.
    also time keeping aint great, u could be left sitting in waiting room for over an hr.
    Do ur dog a favour go to the vet in Mountmellick. always pleasent and has the pets welfare always top most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Santysarah

Hi Roxiesmammy,

Can you tell me where in Mountmellick the vet is. Think my dog has an ear infection and was going to take him to the one in Port - but not so sure now after reading your post.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

Santysarah wrote: »
    Hi Roxiesmammy,

Can you tell me where in Mountmellick the vet is. Think my dog has an ear infection and was going to take him to the one in Port - but not so sure now after reading your post.
    Thanks
    the vets is by centre garage on the tullamore rd. will post the fone no up later, cant find my fone at the moment.
    def would go to them the only prob i find with them iss they havent got great hrs but if emergency they will see u

Just to say, I brought our fella down to the vets on Patrick st and found them lovely, I'd have no problems going back there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Santysarah

Cheers to you both - but had to act on the day - turned out he'd got ear mites and have bein given him the drops prescribed so all good. thanks anyway :) BTW the vet i took Scamp (my dog) to is a retired vet surgeon in Mountmellick - he gave Scamp the full M.O.T. and given he was dumped on me 3 months ago, and we've no idea about his vacs etc - he gave Scamp all he needed Vacs wise and a lot more for a VERY good rate - I've always had dogs and cats etc so I'd be fairly choosy as to who looks after my pets.I've only lived in the area 3 months so still sussin things out lol! If anyone is interested I'll keep ye posted on how Scamp is doin - first update - mites are gone but his ears smell like hell lol. got to leave him a while before I can bathe him, but the discolourment around his ears tells me somethin is happenin in terms of what was there is comin out and he seems happier - chat soon!!!!

Ah that's great that you found a vet in the end hopefully scamp recovers soon! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MorrisMinor

Hi,

I have to agree with RoxiesMammy, I've had dreadful experiences with the vet at the bottom of Patrick St.

My Dad has a 12 year old cat who wasn't eating, kept flinching from its food when it tried to eat. Took her in and he didn't even look into the cat's mouth, gave her some antibiotics and sent us on our way (if not better, bring back in a week). Brought her back in a week, got a lot of crap about how the cat is old, too weak, kidneys and liver probably failing, not much hope, but gave more antibiotics and told if not better in one week then prepare for the worst......

I live in Athy, so suggested we bring thr cat there for a second opinion. They checked her over, found a bad tooth, did a 2 hour operation, plus a kidney and liver test (all fine). The cat is now right as rain, running around the garden!!!

Plus we got two 6 month old's neutered there @ a year ago, they gave us back the cats with wounds still bleeding and totally disorintated.

Stay well clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Polly Pocket123

Hi All,

I am living in the town the last few years and used the vets on patrick street. to be honest id rather go somewhere else. My dog wasnt himself for a few days and took him to get checked out, and the vet assured me he was ok. after a few days, he still wasnt well, took him to a vet id used before in dublin and turned out he had a severe infection under the skin which wasnt picked up by the vet in portarlington.

I informed the vets in portarlington later what had happened and his attitude wasnt great so ive taken my business elsewhere. id use them in an extreme emergency, which hopefully wont happen anytime soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement