Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents committee getting landlords addresses

Options
  • 08-07-2010 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

First time posting so not sure if I'm definitely in the right place.

We are an estate of 51 houses, surrently still in the ownership of builder, in the process of handover to the council. There is no mamagement company involved.
    We have a residents comittee who collect monies each year for grass cutting as builder will not do this. There are approx 20 rental properties in the estate and we need to get landlords addresses to write to them re their contribution. Is there any central place we can access this information. In some cases we have the phone numbers of the landlords from the tenants but we are getting nowhere with this.

I have tried the PRTB, but they will not issue this information to residents associations. 13 of these houses are registered with PRTB.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Id suggest your probably wasting your time. Landlords are business people and therfore their thought process will be dont spend money that will affect your return.

They have no obligation to pay a contribution so why would they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Keep an eye on daft and myhome for any of the properties being up for rent, you might get a landlord's name and phone number that way.

You could also look up http://www.irishpropertywatch.com/ and you might find old ads with phone numbers on them.

I wouldn't expect to get money out of them though but I'm sure it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

residents comittee have no rights for anything really. no one is under any obligation to pay them anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

As stated, you have no way of getting the information, without someone (tenant or estate agent) providing it to you. Even then, the estate agent, and PRTB are restricted from providing you with third party information under the Data Protection Act.

Aside from that, a resident's committee can only request a contribution, and the unit owners are under no legal obligation to provide a cent towards anything. I wouldn't expect any landlord to give over money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You spend your time trying to get the builder to do it rather than the local. Does he not have an obligation to do this kind of thing until the council accepts ownership?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JMichelleR

Understand they are under no obligation to pay, just hoping to even get a few to pay something, appeal to their better nature, explain where the money is spent and why that is of benefit to them. Or at least to explain to the owner occupiers that we have done our best to get something.

Builder is refusing to pay anything, we are currently trying to establish if this would have been part of the conditions of the original planning permission pending handover to council, and whether this would give us a case for the small claims court re payments we have already made. Anyone any experience of this? Builder is in the middle of the taking in charge process at the moment. The county council don't cut the grass after handover anyway, so we'll still have the same problem.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, anyone any other suggestions re getting addresses?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

The best to way of contact is to post a letter in the letterbox of the rental house to be forwarded to the owner. Make sure that you state it is in their interest that the estate be well maintained, you realise it is voluntary and you will forward an official receipt.
    I am a landlord and am happy to pay such fees as long as they are reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why will the council not cut the grass after handover? It is the council's obligation to do it, once they control the estate, surely.

I don't think the small claims court would deal with such an issue. You'd have to take a case to the district court.

Sounds like a real mess.

Discuss the issue with your local councillors and try to get them on your side. Also, talk to the council planning enforcement dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Paulw wrote: »
    Why will the council not cut the grass after handover? It is the council's obligation to do it, once they control the estate, surely.

Not in these days. Councils generally won't take on any landscaping or grass cutting when they take estates in charge. They don't have the money, and will put a clause into the taking in charge documents exempting them from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JMichelleR

Think we'll initially go down the route of letters to the houses themselves to be forwarded to the landlords. See how we get on with that.

Don't know what it is like in other council areas but Wexford county council specifically exclude maint of green areas from obligations after taking in charge. We have just got one of our local councillor involved so hope to get somewhere re council / builder obligations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask the tenants are they willing to contribute. If they aren't, give them a letter to pass on to their landlord.

How much are you looking for and what else will it cover but the grass cutting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A tenant won't pay for this.
    Letter seems the best option but even then you may never get a reply from the landlord

And I wouldn't be handing out names, addresses and phone numbers to someone who came to my door so let the tenant forward the stamped letter.
    Better promise a receipt too for any monies paid

Advertisement