Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended provider for ~6 months?

• 08-07-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Myself and a mate have moved in to a new place and we need to get a connection sorted out. We're in Dublin 6 so presumably have a choice of all providers. The thing is our lease is for 6 months, so we want the option of just closing off the account if and when we leave, without any hassle or extra cost. We don't have the landline activated either but there are phone connections in the wall.

We don't need an amazingly fast connection, just something that is good value and good enough for two moderate users.

Help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

i would recommend USB broadband if you dont need somethin too quick

I think 3 are doin deals for 9.99 a month at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for the reply. We need to be able to be online at the same time though, so I think for 20/month we could get something a lot better than USB broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Re: USB dongles and O2, 3, Vodafone or Meteor.
    It's not Broadband. Sometimes fast dialup over Mobile Phone network.

(Imagine Wimax or Clearwire may not give Broadband performace either)

You might need to pay a final charge and take initally a 1 year contract.

Try UPC (you don't need their TV service) or Digiweb Metro or Magnet fibre (unlikely unless they already feed building). Otherwise it's a phone line + DSL you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

juansheet wrote: »
    i would recommend USB broadband if you dont need somethin too quick

I think 3 are doin deals for 9.99 a month at the moment

That's not broadband, and pretty much useless for sharing. For 9.99 a month, you get 2GB of data, which is crap.

Cianos, you're not going to get real broadband for less than a 12 month contract. Some ISPs will charge a small fee for terminating the contract early, others will charge you for all remaining months of the contract. You'll have to check them out to see what's what. You have nothing to lose by asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jor el wrote: »
    That's not broadband, and pretty much useless for sharing. For 9.99 a month, you get 2GB of data, which is crap.

Slight correction you actually get 1GB per month which makes it even worse:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If you can get it I'd recomend going with UPC as their early termination charge is only €100 (which you would probably make over the 6 months in the difference between them and DSL). You do have to let them know that you want to terminate a month in advance though.

After that your only option is a 3G connection. It is possible to share them out over a number of people (although the equipment for that would cost at least €50 I'd say) but as others have said, its a bit crap. Wouldn't be my first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

O2 will do a 6 month contract, 15GB allowance p/m for €19.90 p/m.
    O2 'Broadband'

You could pick up one of these:
    Edimax 3G Wireless Router

And share the 3G BB.

I know it adds an extra layer of cost, but if its 6 months you're looking for, that will be all you'll get.

You could also share the internet through one of your computers wireless or ethernet connections to allow you both online at the same time.

Knasher - UPC even for the 5MB will cost €29.75 p/m, plus the €100 termination charge. Thats pretty much a full years worth of costs. Plus, you'll have to pay for the router on that 5MB package.

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/mobile/

You could go for Eircom mobile BB for €19.99 p/m (its a 12 month contract, don;t know what it is to get out of it), but you will get free Wifi access too, so if you're near a hotspot.....

Eircom's 3Mb will cost you €29.99 p/m
    http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/2/?view=Standard

Free router, first month free, and the free Wifi too. So could be the better option if available... (though once again, not sure of the termination charge).

One thing about the Mobile BB is though, you can just bring it with you when you leave... And if you chose the Eircom one, as stated, you'll get free Wifi for the year.

O2 will do a 6 month contract, 15GB allowance p/m for €19.90 p/m.
    O2 'Broadband'

It's not remotely Broadband.
    • High latency
    • May not connect
    • Minimum speed is 0.12Mbps or even 0.05Mbps
    • No control over contention
    • Sites are blocked.
    • Some applications may not work.
    • It's rapid Dialup on demand, NOT always on
    • Can "randomly" drop connection/sessions

It's "midband" and Mobile Internet via their 2.5G EDGE and 3G HSDPA, both of which piggy back on their Mobile Phone Network. It's likely that when busy that voice calls have priority
    One thing about the Mobile BB is though, you can just bring it with you when you leave... And if you chose the Eircom one, as stated, you'll get free Wifi for the year.
    But that is Mobile Dialup Internet, Not BB (Not Broadband).

watty wrote: »
    It's not remotely Broadband.
    • High latency
    • May not connect
    • Minimum speed is 0.12Mbps or even 0.05Mbps
    • No control over contention
    • Sites are blocked.
    • Some applications may not work.
    • It's rapid Dialup on demand, NOT always on
    • Can "randomly" drop connection/sessions

It's "midband" and Mobile Internet via their 2.5G EDGE and 3G HSDPA, both of which piggy back on their Mobile Phone Network. It's likely that when busy that voice calls have priority

I am well aware of what is it. The link was provided for all to see.

Hence the 'Broadband'

There really is no need for your post, you're just repeating what you;ve already correctly pointed out further up the thread, and I was merely giving the options, within the OP's budgetary constraints.

The fact is, OP is not going to get proper BB for €20 p/m, and not on a 6 month contract.

**edit, oh and Mobile BB is what it is generally referred to as, whether its 'actual' broadband or not.

Well I won't "conspire" to help mis-advertise. If the Government was not trying to make us look better than we are, the ASAI and Comreg would not allow it.

What I'm saying can't be said often enough and loud enough. In fact I did not repeat but elaborate on my post.

http://irelandoffline.org/2009/08/is-mobile-midband-in-ireland-destroying-broadband-infrastructure/

I won't help destroy real Broadband by encouraging sales of voice call subsidized inferior non-Broadband products.

I shall continue to refer to it as Mobile Internet, A "Midband" product.

The Moderator Viewpoint: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66811905&postcount=5

You were just repeating an earlier post with a different vendor who is no better (02). Eircom Mobile Internet uses Meteor (same company) which still has poor 3G coverage. Nor did the original post specify a price. Real Broadband for six Months taking into account termination charge of a 1 year contract may work out about €80 a month.

Partly because we have the highest Line Rental in the World and often high back haul costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can probably get eircom broadband (or from any of the resellers), with a 12 month contract, then when you move in 6 months time it's quite likely that you can move the account to the new address. As long as DSL is available at the new address, there shouldn't be much in the line of charges. Same applies to UPC or wireless like Metro/Breeze.

Check it out anyway, as if you want real broadband this is the best route to take. Buying a 3G connection, with all it's problems, and then sharing it with someone else to make it even more problematic, should be a last resort.

Well I won't "conspire" to help mis-advertise. If the Government was not trying to make us look better than we are, the ASAI and Comreg would not allow it.

What I'm saying can't be said often enough and loud enough.

http://irelandoffline.org/2009/08/is-mobile-midband-in-ireland-destroying-broadband-infrastructure/

I won't help destroy real Broadband by encouraging sales of voice call subsidized inferior non-Broadband products.

I shall continue to refer to it as Mobile Internet, A "Midband" product.

The Moderator Viewpoint: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66811905&postcount=5

You were just repeating an earlier post with a different vendor who is no better (02). Eircom Mobile Internet uses Meteor (same company) which still has poor 3G coverage.

It was better, hence I posted it. 15GB allowance, and a 6 month contract available.

It is referred to as 'mobile broadband' hence my post. There is no reason to be pedantic about it.

Once again, I was posting the options available to the OP for the budget stated.

If anything, I was providing solutions to the problem, while not providing the 'best' broadband, but solutions none the less.

No, that sort of solution is compounding the problem.

No, that sort of solution is compounding the problem.

Not for the OP, who:

a) requires internet access
    b) by admission, is not a heavy user
    c) is not a regulator / does not have any regulatory influence on the problem of broadband provision in a country with a small population.

It provides a solution. It provides internet access. It provides the 6 month contract asked for. It provides this for the €20 p/m quoted.

It may not be the modt desirable solution, but it is a solution nonetheless.

Unless of course you can give info on an an ISP who will provide a 6 month contract, for €20 per month, for real broadband - please keep your pedantry elsewhere.

This thread is not for the discussion of the shortcomings of BB provision or mobile internet services as far as I'm aware.

Cianos wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. We need to be able to be online at the same time though, so I think for 20/month we could get something a lot better than USB broadband.

No, the OP didn't specify a limit. The OP specified a desire for something much better than Mobile.

Dublin_Gunner
    It's attitudes like yours to services that is destroying this country and letting International Companies ride rough-shod over consumers. Your suggested solution simply has a higher cap. It's the same inferior rubbish offering as rejected by Cianos.

No, the OP didn't specify a limit. The OP specified a desire for something much better than Mobile.

Dublin_Gunner
    It's attitudes like yours to services that is destroying this country and letting International Companies ride rough-shod over consumers. Your suggested solution simply has a higher cap. It's the same inferior rubbish offering as rejected by Cianos.

What attitude? I personally hate mobile broadband/midband/internet whatever the hell you want to call it.

In some cases though, it provides a solution.

We do not have country wide WiFi, and in general BB provision is poor.

Just because BB services in this country are poor, is no reason to blame me for suggesting an alternative.

You make sure you go off now this evening, and ensure high speed, BB access for all by tomorrow morning, and I'll advocate your product - for €20 a month.

Were you duped by a mobile provider at some stage? Until you provide a solution that meets the requirements, instead of harping on about mobile providers and BB provision, I can really only assume a mobile provider ate a relative of yours or something. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for the replies to this. We still haven't gotten a package yet unfortunately, but I think we're more open to getting a longer term subscription so the whole 6 month term constraint doesn't really apply now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

im in dublin 6 and use magnet adsl (not fibre) brilliant service ALWAYS 10meg down with 1 meg up (i only pay for .5dup) no cap ,no throttling , I couldnt recommend more
    i pay 55ish euro a month which is 14 a week split between 2 ppl its almost free :)

it does have a years contract though but worth considering

Advertisement