Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races!!

Options
  • 08-07-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

2 weeks to go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cactus86

am i the only one who cant stand them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Guys with cheap suits and even cheaper women on their arm putting a euro each way on an odds on favourite. Whats not to like!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

Tugboats wrote: »
    Guys with cheap suits and even cheaper women on their arm putting a euro each way on an odds on favourite. Whats not to like!:)

barack-obama-arrogant1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

cactus86 wrote: »
    am i the only one who cant stand them?

No :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Maja wrote: »
    No :D

Why don't you like them?

• Advertisement

Tugboats wrote: »

I have seen that but i've also seen nice people enjoying themselves there and other people have quite sizeable bets there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Most Galwegians I know just think it's a tough week of work if in an industry busy that week or a week away if they're not! I'll be away.

Most Galwegians I know just think it's a tough week of work if in an industry busy that week or a week away if they're not! I'll be away.

Each to their own my friend.
    I have really fond memories of the races and i love the buzz around the city during them. I went to Spain a couple of years ago during the races just for a change and because i got a bargain but it felt weird being away that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

I agree, I live near enough to the races and would want to avoid a lot of them heading that direction ! I know lots of people enjoy the races but some of the lads "up from the country" remind me of buck lepping cattle that have just been let out after the winter. Maybe it's their only outing for the year and they cut completely loose, same as my Dad's loves the National Ploughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wall to wall drunks:

races20050803.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭LowOdour

My favourite day is thursday when i come out of work to see hoards of 14 year old drunk youths, with their shirt and ties, clinging on to their cans of cider....a site to behold!

Other than that its a load fo ****e....people still want to show how flash they are....even if they are swaping the helicopters for the bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stick a tenner e/w on every Weld horse esp first two days and you should be well up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mike65 wrote: »
    Stick a tenner e/w on every Weld horse esp first two days and you should be well up!

When he has 2 or 3 runners in some races that's not a great strategy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

However you view the Races , it's brilliant for Galways Economy.
    I love Horse Racing but to be honest the racing is pretty poor quality but the craic is brilliant (weather provided).
    And there's always a great vibe in the town.

I really wish they'd make more of an effort to make it more of a festival like the Ocean Race though. Live bands in Eyre Square with Lots of food stalls etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Zzippy wrote: »
    When he has 2 or 3 runners in some races that's not a great strategy!

Well if he is mob handed it won't work true, unless the odds are long enough.

Wanders off to do some prep work...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Any idea what accomodation is going for this year? looking to book a house or apartment for 4 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

biko wrote: »
    Wall to wall drunks:

...but easy sex.

Which is nice.

amiable wrote: »
    Why don't you like them?

-few reasons:

*horses (I dont think they enjoy it at all - have seen one few years ago with leg open fracture - horror)

*it's a gambling - dont like the idea of it at all.

*the whole background of it is just such a kitsch.

Its just a cheap enteintainment thats it.

(there are bigger horse races in town when I come from and nobody cares really (just some really interested people) and thats because there is more interesting things to do (for young people) that going to horse races!)

:cool:

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    ...but easy sex.

Which is nice.

-easy sex is not a sex at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Maja wrote: »
    -few reasons:

*horses (I dont think they enjoy it at all - have seen one few years ago with leg open fracture - horror)

*it's a gambling - dont like the idea of it at all.

*the whole background of it is just such a kitsch.

Its just a cheap enteintainment thats it.

(there are bigger horse races in town when I come from and nobody cares really (just some really interested people) and thats because there is more interesting things to do (for young people) that going to horse races!)

:cool:

Where are you from? Cheltenham?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Monday to Wednesday are great days at the track and the atmosphere is town is good. Thursday is a nightmare (never enjoyed it) and town is like a metal hospital. Fri, Sat, Sun are a bit meh at the track the atmosphere is gone at that stage but town is still pretty good but the D4s have arrived fr the long weekend :pac:
    Can't say i agree with gailgegrinds about galwegians not liking it, its the one week of the year i get to see an awful lot of old faces from school.

Not all locals dislike it. I go once a year usually, sometimes twice.
    I wear a shirt rather than a tshirt to minimise the risk of sunburn.

I avoid Wednesday and Thursday and the Quay Street / High Street area.

If I do go to town after I don't drink so I don't have to put up with the queues at the bars and toilets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hopefully the Garda will crack down on revellers and adopt a zero tolerance approach just like what happened during Rag week to other adults who keep the economy in Galway going.

I cannot wait, The lads in work are laughing at me as I have been more or less counting down since Christmas. I have been racing at least 6 of the 7 days for a lot of years now its my highlight of the year.

Racing then the craic on the streets in town after, bring it on!!!!!

Hopefully I will at least break even on the betting. Its an expensive week but in reality (with the benefit of being from Galway and not paying for accommodation) its no worse than paying for a holiday abroad and I know where id rather spend my money.

biko wrote: »
    Wall to wall drunks:

races20050803.jpg

Its images like this that make Galway such a legend of a place!!

snubbleste wrote: »
    Hopefully the Garda will crack down on revellers and adopt a zero tolerance approach just like what happened during Rag week to other adults who keep the economy in Galway going.

1. Rag Week is meant to be about charity, students who would be here at any rate, decide to drink for the week. Lots have showen disrespect towards the city, no surprising as they're not local or mature from the looks of things.

2. ''The Races'' brings 1000's of tourists to the area who otherwise wouldn't have ventured. Most of the tourists are mature and know how to behave themselves(bar the usual cans/bottles thrown around)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Where are you from? Cheltenham?

they are all low grade races tbf. i.e bunch of nags. still wouldn't change it tho. its great craic on in town the whole week :D:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I only ever go on Ladies Day. One of the bitchiest competitions I have ever seen. Always laugh when they pick the contenders. They show them off and you can always hear the bitter losers criticise the poor women.

Basically drink is a must on Ladies Day.

evil_seed wrote: »
    they are all low grade races tbf. i.e bunch of nags. still wouldn't change it tho. its great craic on in town the whole week :D:cool:

Exactly, the races themselves are pretty poor tbh. Mainly because it's a mixed card and all the best flat horses are over in Goodwood and it's off season for the hunt. You'd be hard pressed to know even one or two horses running in the big races.

Saw a page ripped from a magazine in a friends house last week, looked like an english lads magazine, it had the top 10 individual races in the world on it.
    The plate was 3rd ahead, the Arc was down in 10th(can only remember the Arc but all the others after the plate were serious races as you can imagine.
    You'd get better horses running in any feature race on TV at the weekend on C4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

At its core it is a special thing. It stretches way back in tradition. Thoroughbreds thundering along in full flow mounted by jockeys in colourful silk is a peerless sight.

The festival is an anthropological wet dream - the best and worst of Irish life is visible side by side. I'll go on the Friday - throw on a few quid I can afford to say goodbye to - and ignore the showoffery and illmannered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

topper75 wrote: »
    At its core it is a special thing. It stretches way back in tradition. Thoroughbreds thundering along in full flow mounted by jockeys in colourful silk is a peerless sight.

The festival is an anthropological wet dream - the best and worst of Irish life is visible side by side. I'll go on the Friday - throw on a few quid I can afford to say goodbye to - and ignore the showoffery and illmannered.

Well put. I used to dislike it but if you can ignore all the fake flashiness that goes with it it's an enjoyable day out. I plan on going at least one day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement