Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I think he/she means in Galway.

She.
    Why does that website list one in Athlone as being in Galway.

Mistake.
    Does the Arts festival have open air concerts or is it just the tent and Raddison, Roisin type venues?

No.
    Bring back Beat on the Street. I believe the original concept of the Arts Festival was concerts show casing local talent...that has since gone out the window.

There is plenty of local talent being showcased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Playing on the main stage or open air? If its just in the Roisin that they are playing then that happens all year?

Playing on the main stage or open air? If its just in the Roisin that they are playing then that happens all year?

Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

"Temple House Festival" :

"As well as live music there will be poetry readings, face painting, holistic therapies, art exhibitions, farmers’ market, vintage clothes and jewellery fair plus a plethora of other carefully selected attractions"

-specially farmers market is very appealing... ;)

I think he/she means in Galway. Why does that website list one in Athlone as being in Galway. Does the Arts festival have open air concerts or is it just the tent and Raddison, Roisin type venues?

Bring back Beat on the Street. I believe the original concept of the Arts Festival was concerts show casing local talent...that has since gone out the window.

-and yes "she" was talking about Galway. Cant belive there is no proper open air music -so sad.. :(

• Advertisement

Maja wrote: »
    -and yes "she" was talking about Galway. Cant belive there is no proper open air music -so sad.. :(

After Westlife at Pearse Stadium maybe it's a good thing!

After Westlife at Pearse Stadium maybe it's a good thing!

Westlife doesnt count as music ... :rolleyes:

Westlife doesnt count as music ... :rolleyes:

Very true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

how much is a student ticket on thursday

It's usually a tenner for most days but I think they up it to 12 for thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Prices are on the web site. http://www.galwayraces.com/

It's usually a tenner for most days but I think they up it to 12 for thursday.

It will be 20 euro Thursday for students as far as I can remember.

As a general rule of thumb its usually about 10 euro less for a student than the full admission.

Tenner off does sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

-few reasons:

*it's a gambling - dont like the idea of it at all.

*the whole background of it is just such a kitsch.

Its just a cheap enteintainment thats it.

(there are bigger horse races in town when I come from and nobody cares really (just some really interested people) and thats because there is more interesting things to do (for young people) that going to horse races!)

:cool:

Yes because the Horse Racing world is inundated with top class polish racehorses! Name me one bigger horse race that is held in Poland?

Horse Racing is a great spectator sport. Would you chastise young people for having an interest in soccer?

It's cheap entertainment yet you are advocating free concerts?

Dont be oversensitive about it. I never said everything is bigger and better. We dont have cliffs and the ocean.. :rolleyes: Racecourse is bigger, but as i said it's not that popular, because people just prefere other types of enterteinment like music for example. There is many open air festivals during the summer with world class musicians - which i dont know why never happens here.. :(

There is so many open to air music festivals in Poland? That's terrific. Maybe if your Government spent less money on that they might be able to better aid employment in the country.

-few reasons:

*horses (I dont think they enjoy it at all - have seen one few years ago with leg open fracture - horror)

*it's a gambling - dont like the idea of it at all.

*the whole background of it is just such a kitsch.

Its just a cheap enteintainment thats it.

(there are bigger horse races in town when I come from and nobody cares really (just some really interested people) and thats because there is more interesting things to do (for young people) that going to horse races!)

:cool:

Thats a lot of rubbish in one post I have to say.

For a start, bigger races in Poland, you must be having a laugh. I have never heard of a polish horse, owner, trainer or jockey!

Why is it cheap entertainment, its a fantastic exciting sport and cheap is certainly not a word you will ever hear associated with racing.

Again ha ha bigger races where you come from. The Galway races is one of the biggest racing festivals in the world, with the Galway plate recently being voted 4th most recognizable horse race ahead of much higher quality races.

Not many events either where you at least have the chance of actually making money, thats the beauty of gambling.

There are very few things if any that I would rather do than spend an afternoon at a horse racing meeting.

Not many events either where you at least have the chance of actually making money, thats the beauty of gambling.

Or losing money..that's the downside of gambling.

Most of her points in the full quote was about why she doesn't like racing. I wouldn't belittle that. I doubt there is bigger racing in Poland though. Still no one has to like the races either. Its great for some and ****e for others. Personally I would prefer the airshow. It was the only event on the Galway calendar that appealed to me and I only got to go once due to working weekends during college. Yuppies are catered for by the races, Hippies like the Arts Festival and Students (who are mostly Yuppies and Hippies anyway) get RAG week. What about us tweeners!?! Dang it

What about us tweeners!?! Dang it

ye tweeners have facebook! water baloon fights and zombie walks!

Most of her points in the full quote was about why she doesn't like racing. I wouldn't belittle that.

In fairness I understand that not everybody likes horse racing however I feel that the whole post was belittling people who like horse racing and saying it is a waste of time and a pointless pass time.

If people don't like it fair enough but no need to basically look down on those that do. I wouldn't cross the road to watch the macnas parade for instance but I was not in the thread saying its a waste of time and that their are much better things to do as for the people who enjoy it it is not a waste of time but its just not my thing.

Thats a lot of rubbish in one post I have to say.

For a start, bigger races in Poland, you must be having a laugh. I have never heard of a polish horse, owner, trainer or jockey!

:rolleyes:

http://www.torsluzewiec.pl/photo/

Can i have my opinion please? Ok, maybe they are not bigger, but as i said its just because people are not that interested in "sport" like this.
    I wont change my mind. Horse races are cheap enterteinment, but it's just my opinion, so why do you care so much? ;)
    I would rather go to theater on the beach or to listen to some music then to watch sweating horses beeing beaten by some guys who want to win riding on someone elses (horses) back.. lol
    I am just surprised people are SO exited about it -thats all... but enjoy if you like it!

:rolleyes:

http://www.torsluzewiec.pl/photo/

Can i have my opinion please? Ok, maybe they are not bigger, but as i said its just because people are not that interested in "sport" like this.
    I wont change my mind. Horse races are cheap enterteinment, but it's just my opinion, so why do you care so much? ;)
    I would rather go to theater on the beach or to listen to some music then to watch sweating horses beeing beaten by some guys who want to win riding on someone elses (horses) back.. lol
    I am just surprised people are SO exited about it -thats all... but enjoy if you like it!

looks like a nice place. like you said yourself theres not much else around here so its one of the few occasions in the Galway calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

It has to be said that the quality of races and horses at the festival in Galway are not in the top drawer of racing. You will see the odd top quality horse but as for saying the Galway Plate is one of biggest races in the world, that's stretching it a bit in my opinion. At the end of the day it's a handicap, as is the Galway Hurdle. It's a big pot so you will get plenty of decent horses....but not the cream of national hunt racing. The best national hunt horses are not even running this time of the year. There are some good races in Galway but there are also some terrible ones with huge fields and little to go on in terms of form other than a rumour of a tip or following one just because it's trained by Weld or some other "big" trainer. The prices can be shocking too but the punters still pile on the cash....everyone wants to say in the pub that they backed "a winner" regardless of how many losers they had. Most bookies will tell you that they make their years wages in Galway.

The Galway Races are more about the whole atmosphere and craic around town, it's not for everyone but it's still a hell of a party and you can join in or stay at home. I still love it anyway and will be doing my best to beat the bookies! :)

gandroid wrote: »
    It has to be said that the quality of races and horses at the festival in Galway are not in the top drawer of racing. You will see the odd top quality horse but as for saying the Galway Plate is one of biggest races in the world, that's stretching it a bit in my opinion.)

I think everyone knows the class of a lot of the races is not the best mainly due to off season for national hunt and Goodwood being on in the UK.

There was a piece recently I think it was in the racing post but I'm not sure but anyway they gave the top 10 races (possibly in europe), It was obviously not the class of the races but I presume how recognizable and popularity of the race etc. I cant remember the exact order but the Galway plate was about 4th and for instance the Prix d'larc de troimphe was 10th.

There was also another piece a friend was telling me about, it was about festivals in europe, Oxygen was no1 I think, but the Galway racing festival was in the top 10 and it was the only racing festival in the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I think everyone knows the class of a lot of the races is not the best mainly due to off season for national hunt and Goodwood being on in the UK.

There was a piece recently I think it was in the racing post but I'm not sure but anyway they gave the top 10 races (possibly in europe), It was obviously not the class of the races but I presume how recognizable and popularity of the race etc. I cant remember the exact order but the Galway plate was about 4th and for instance the Prix d'larc de troimphe was 10th.

There was also another piece a friend was telling me about, it was about festivals in europe, Oxygen was no1 I think, but the Galway racing festival was in the top 10 and it was the only racing festival in the top 10.

Well none of that surprises me, but my point about the racing itself is still valid. It's not about the racing...as the latter part of your post pointed out...but the whole "festival" and craic I assume (and probably numbers attending)....it may or may not be in that list next year....

In purely racing terms it wouldn't hold a candle to most other racing festivals, but it's a little bit more that that.....

gandroid wrote: »
    In purely racing terms it wouldn't hold a candle to most other racing festivals,

Agreed.

It is great craic though and I suppose the fact that I go racing up there every day of the festival adds to the excitement of it which probably makes the racing itself appear better than it is.

Its still my highlight of the racing calender I have to say, closely followed by cheltenham.

Then there is town after the races!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

watch sweating horses beeing beaten by some guys who want to win riding on someone elses (horses) back.. lol

Its clear you know nothing of the sport yet are willing to flaunt your opinion
    anyways, horses are very well looked after throughout Ireland, by the hardworking people in the racing industry, who i am sure work up quite a sweat doing their daily jobs.

Oh look there sweating, how cruel,

I passed by a building site and noticed some polish sweating, whats your take on that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Guess the cost of a bus from the Square to the course?
    ..can travel to the Races for €6 adult single or €9 adult return, while children can travel for €3 and €5

That's a bit high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's a bit high.

High enough for you to enter the market with your own bus?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

topper75 wrote: »
    High enough for you to enter the market with your own bus?

No not that high
    but it's only €1.60 for the regular bus to Mervue or Ballybane or Dougishka and walk the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I hear you snubbleste, but I suppose if they fill the bus at that price then they have chosen the correct price. It is race week after all.

Economists might call it a 'demand-side shock':). Will all be back to normal before we know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    There is so many open to air music festivals in Poland? That's terrific. Maybe if your Government spent less money on that they might be able to better aid employment in the country.

In fairness that's a bit OTT and unnecessary! :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement