Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Yes because the Horse Racing world is inundated with top class polish racehorses! Name me one bigger horse race that is held in Poland?

Horse Racing is a great spectator sport. Would you chastise young people for having an interest in soccer?

It's cheap entertainment yet you are advocating free concerts?

There is so many open to air music festivals in Poland? That's terrific. Maybe if your Government spent less money on that they might be able to better aid employment in the country.

YES -there are many open air festivals and it has nothing to do with Government, because its not for free and people pay for most of them and if you were trying to be sarcastic and malicious it didnt work - i am not the polish Government and it not my fault the economy is unfortunately crap in the country where i was born!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Maja wrote: »
    YES -there are many open air festivals and it has nothing to do with Government, because its not for free and people pay for most of them and if you were trying to be sarcastic and malicious it didnt work - i am not the polish Government and it not my fault the economy is unfortunately crap in the country where i was born!

So these concerts are not free? In that case the country has plenty of these festivals - Oxegen, Electric Picnic, Cois Farrige to name but a few that are some of the best in Europe. People pay for most of them? So who pays for the rest? Are there numerous kind business men that just put them on for free out of the goodness of their heart? I doubt it. Generosity like that hasn't been seen here since Pat McDonagh and Supermacs put on the free sawdoctors concert in the square!

Btw, did you wander down to the ocean race events last yaer?

So these concerts are not free? In that case the country has plenty of these festivals - Oxegen, Electric Picnic, Cois Farrige to name but a few that are some of the best in Europe. People pay for most of them? So who pays for the rest? Are there numerous kind business men that just put them on for free out of the goodness of their heart? I doubt it. Generosity like that hasn't been seen here since Pat McDonagh and Supermacs put on the free sawdoctors concert in the square!

Btw, did you wander down to the ocean race events last yaer?

-and what's your point? :rolleyes: I dont see "plenty of these festivals around Galway... and even if they are somewhere in country they dont host big stars really... and as I said i am not the polish government so... :cool: go somewhere else to debate about polish unemployment... (and about how culture exspenses lead to big emigration) ;)

-and yes i wondered down to ocean race and wasnt to much impressed to be honest, but Galway is cool anyway, they should just organize more music events during the summer -PEOPLE NEED CULTURE (some :pac: )

It's a bit unfair to compare what is available in Warsaw to what is available in Galway - Warsaw is a capital city and is about 40 times bigger than Galway.

There are almost as many people in Warsaw as in the republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

You obviously need to get out of doughiska a bit more!

• Advertisement

-and what's your point? :rolleyes: I dont see "plenty of these festivals around Galway... and even if they are somewhere in country they dont host big stars really... and as I said i am not the polish government so... :cool: go somewhere else to debate about polish unemployment... (and about how culture exspenses lead to big emigration) ;)

-and yes i wondered down to ocean race and wasnt to much impressed to be honest, but Galway is cool anyway, they should just organize more music events during the summer -PEOPLE NEED CULTURE (some :pac: )

You really need to go check up on these events before running your mouth. Tell me, who in the world are bigger at the moment than Eminem, Jay-Z, Kings of Leon, Killers, Lady Gaga, Kasabian etc etc?

Where do you think you live? Paris or somewhere? Its a city of 70,000 people. Does every small city in Poland have free to air music festivals with the biggest music stars in the world playing at them on a regular basis. If so, I'd really love some examples! I have a feeling I might be waiting a while though

It's a bit unfair to compare what is available in Warsaw to what is available in Galway - Warsaw is a capital city and is about 40 times bigger than Galway.

There are almost as many people in Warsaw as in the republic of Ireland.

I dont compare Galway to anything (and i wasnt thinking about Warsaw anyway)

You obviously need to get out of doughiska a bit more!

-and you need to get off your laptop a bit more -you spend to much time on spying on people. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

This has gone completely off topic

Predalien wrote: »

Yes and thats only because some people cant stand little criticism... :rolleyes: and other peoples opinion (specially foreign people).

• Advertisement

Predalien wrote: »

Yes because somebody told us all how bad the races were and that we should replace them with free to air festivals that will somehow attract all the worlds top performers to our small city and that nobody will pay for.

Apparantly there has been many of these (imaginary) festivals in small cities all over a certain country.

If somebody doesnt like the races, why come on the thread?

+1

Anyway back on topic, only a few days left now to the off of the first race!!! Bring it on!

Yes because somebody told us all how bad the races were and that we should replace them with free to air festivals that will somehow attract all the worlds top performers to our small city and that nobody will pay for.

Apparantly there has been many of these (imaginary) festivals in small cities all over a certain country.

Only because i still cant belive this is such a big deal here and everyone is so exited about it, but dont mind me - as long as people are happy, everything is alright...i dont have to be part of it and i wont... :cool: but enjoy your feast!

-and you need to get off your laptop a bit more -you spend to much time on spying on people. :rolleyes:

I so wish I could, but I gotta look busy at work! Sorry, I won't give out to you anymore! :)

I so wish I could, but I gotta look busy at work! Sorry, I won't give out to you anymore! :)

-and thats how economy goes down.. ;) when people pretend they are busy at work!

-and thats how economy goes down.. ;) when people pretend they are busy at work!

Smartass! I'm just real good at my job!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    No not that high
    but it's only €1.60 for the regular bus to Mervue or Ballybane or Dougishka and walk the rest.

The shuttle fare is rather high, IMHO. They dropped it to €8 last year, but it's back at the pre-recessionary levels this year.

The regular #9 bus goes right to the back entrance to the course.

HOWEVER they've decided to end it at the Lynch RAB (which really means Dunnes Briar Hill) during "racing hours" - I've put more details in Galway Races bus services page, as I can't find them anywhere on Bus Éireann's own website. :( That makes it about a 20 minute walk from the bus-stop to the course.

I can understand it from a timetable delays perspective.

But it's a bit of a pain for the folks working in the five industrial estates out there. I don't know if the disabled people from Rehab get time off for the races, but am pretty certain that the foreign-language folks in SAP don't. Both groups are big bus users, but I guess not high in the consideration stakes (just like their stop is the one that didn't get a bus-shelter when they were dishing 'em out last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

if you live in galway
    it should not make much difference as to whether you like racing or not
    it brings money into the galway economy,
    now you might think what has my job got to do with that
    but the more money in a local economy
    the more jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭skullzxr

Can you buy a family ticket? which day is best for kids, maybe 1 august?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Nice to get back on topic! :rolleyes:

Anyway, for those who ARE interested in the races and are staying around, here's an old thread with plenty of tips on how to enjoy it best...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055112652

I particularly liked this post from Sponge Bob:
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Knocking Shops do not advertise in the Local Papers !

On ladys day, bring a pair of flip flopsor flat shoes in your handbags, its a long long walk up to the stands and down again and even worse in town later. High heels will kill you.

I now have an image of Sponge Bob in flipflops carrying his high heels... :D

• Advertisement

skullzxr wrote: »
    http://www.galwayraces.com/special-days
    Sunday is family day.
    I'd avoid Wednesday and Thursday if you are bringing children.

http://www.galwayraces.com/faq
    Is there a charge for children?

Children under 14 are admitted for €2 at the summer festival, except on Sunday (Family Day) when they are admitted free. Children are free for the Autumn and October Festival Meetings. (I.D. will be required at the turnstiles for proof of age).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Anyone brave the sh1te weather yesterday to go to the races?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

How much is entry for a student ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

3fullback wrote: »
    How much is entry for a student ?

Depends on the day.

http://www.galwayraces.com/summer-festival-meeting

General rule of thumb, if your a student its €10 off

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Columc wrote: »
    Depends on the day.

http://www.galwayraces.com/summer-festival-meeting

General rule of thumb, if your a student its €10 off

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

skullzxr wrote: »

Bringing kids to the races is a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

BESman wrote: »
    Bringing kids to the races is a terrible idea.

Why? Sunday is a great day for the kids, much smaller crowds, loads if room etc. Head to the far side and in front of the stands, grab a picnic table and chill out. My kids love it.
    There is a world of difference between Sunday and the week days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Why? Sunday is a great day for the kids, much smaller crowds, loads if room etc. Head to the far side and in front of the stands, grab a picnic table and chill out. My kids love it.
    There is a world of difference between Sunday and the week days

Ah ya, Sunday should be fine. But the rest of the week is only a good idea if you want your kids to see human nature at its finest. Public drunkeness, gambling, debauchery, and half naked women.

Which is why I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Am I right in thinking that glass, cans & bottles are banned from the outdoor drinking areas in town? Wonder what they'd say to a cheeky ziploc plastic bag full of vodka?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

hoody wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that glass, cans & bottles are banned from the outdoor drinking areas in town? Wonder what they'd say to a cheeky ziploc plastic bag full of vodka?
    You could try this revolutionary new space age product called a plastic bottle. It looks like this and it should be easier for drinking outta :D. You could go to the army and navy store and get a hip flask also

plastic-bottle.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement