Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races!!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Last two nights there has been more taxis around town then people!

And i Thought you could only be a taxi driver in your own locality!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Was talkin to a fella tonight , he's going to put 15,000 each way on a horse tomorrow/today. Needless to say he's quite well off but a very nice fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Was talkin to a fella tonight , he's going to put 15,000 each way on a horse tomorrow/today. Needless to say he's quite well off but a very nice fella!

And the name of the horse is......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

hoody wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that glass, cans & bottles are banned from the outdoor drinking areas in town? Wonder what they'd say to a cheeky ziploc plastic bag full of vodka?

You're not allowed, we own the patent for this one. Oficially called the "naggin bag", this ingenious idea has been around for a few years. Check us out on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

LakesKeane wrote: »

So that is my €15 white-knuckled adrenalin rush multiplied by 1000?!!
    :D Woah. I'd need an ambulance on standby.

I hope it worked out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

You could try this revolutionary new space age product called a plastic bottle. It looks like this and it should be easier for drinking outta :D. You could go to the army and navy store and get a hip flask also

So I've been over-complicating things with the ziploc bag? This "plastic bottle" as you call it, appears to be just the job! But would they not get a bit pissy if you're making no attempt to disguise the fact that you're carrying in your own alcohol? Thought that's why they banned the cans as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I was being a bit sarcastic with the post but you are allowed to drink minerals on the street, e.g if it's vodka and coke put it in a coke bottle. Brandy and red in a red lemonade bottle. Obviously 2 or 3 smaller bottles would be a better idea than glugging out of a 2 litre.

There are also those gold coloured coke bottles that you can't see through and would hide whatever is in them. It's not illegal to be a teetotaller

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You could try this revolutionary new space age product called a plastic bottle. It looks like this and it should be easier for drinking outta :D. You could go to the army and navy store and get a hip flask also
    hoody wrote: »
    So I've been over-complicating things with the ziploc bag? This "plastic bottle" as you call it, appears to be just the job! But would they not get a bit pissy if you're making no attempt to disguise the fact that you're carrying in your own alcohol? Thought that's why they banned the cans as well...

AFAIK they don't allow closed containers, plastic can or glass - to prevent what happened before where a can was thrown and hit someone on the head. So you can bring your plastic bottle but you'll be given a plastic glass to pour it into in order to access the cordoned off area.
    skelliser wrote: »
    Last two nights there has been more taxis around town then people!

And i Thought you could only be a taxi driver in your own locality!

Was out Sat night and got a taxi home, the taxi got stuck in a monster traffic jam of taxis, very few of which were from Galway. He was actually embarrassed and turned off the meter as we would have been charged a big fare for a short journey due to sitting in traffic. Fair play, if I had got his name I would definitely mention him.
    Heard on the radio that the taxi regulator is in town to check out the situation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Zzippy wrote: »
    AFAIK they don't allow closed containers, plastic can or glass - to prevent what happened before where a can was thrown and hit someone on the head. So you can bring your plastic bottle but you'll be given a plastic glass to pour it into in order to access the cordoned off area.

Was out Sat night and got a taxi home, the taxi got stuck in a monster traffic jam of taxis, very few of which were from Galway. He was actually embarrassed and turned off the meter as we would have been charged a big fare for a short journey due to sitting in traffic. Fair play, if I had got his name I would definitely mention him.
    Heard on the radio that the taxi regulator is in town to check out the situation :rolleyes:

Cheers for that, I haven't been out in Galway during Race week celebrations in the last few years, bottle of vodka and coke so for me and a hip flask of gin.

They can't police every single thing though, what about patio chairs, tables etc

Fair play on the taxi man, it's a demoralising business to be in though if I was one I would just quit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Any helicopters around this year at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

snubbleste wrote: »
    Any helicopters around this year at all?

I heard 4 or 5 yesterday, a couple today... very few during the week though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

spender.j wrote: »
    I heard 4 or 5 yesterday, a couple today... very few during the week though!

I heard none. Did you actually see them or is there a buzz in your ears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

snubbleste wrote: »
    I heard none. Did you actually see them or is there a buzz in your ears?

I didn't actually see them but I live close enough to the racetrack to hear the crowd, and the helicopters were passing very close to my house, I just didn't get up to look out of the window... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Yeah their was three or four of them, I was there yesterday. How much did they cost in the "boom"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

so how was the traffic this year? Better with the new routes? I always left Parkmore before the rush, and thought town was very quiet (made it from Parkmore to Salthill in 12 minutes at 5.40 pm on Tuesday - unheard of...made me wish every day was a race day;-))

They were saying on the news this morning that it was chaos yesterday, due to pedestrians?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

galah wrote: »
    so how was the traffic this year? Better with the new routes? I always left Parkmore before the rush, and thought town was very quiet (made it from Parkmore to Salthill in 12 minutes at 5.40 pm on Tuesday - unheard of...made me wish every day was a race day;-))

They were saying on the news this morning that it was chaos yesterday, due to pedestrians?

Someone in the office today said it took them 1.5 hours to get out of the carpark on Thursday after the last race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

whats the best car park to go to, if you where coming in from Oranmore side? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

The one in Oranmore. Take the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

The one in Oranmore. Take the bus

10 months late with that reply mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is last year's thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement