Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproofing Spray

Options
  • 08-07-2010 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Is it possible to waterproof a tent with a spray?

If so does any one know where I could purchase one around Dublin?

I have a tent that I've been told wont last a shower never mind rain due at weekend,

Cheers for help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I have a tent that I've been told wont last a shower never mind rain due at weekend,

Cheers for help!

It is possible. You can use stuff called Nikwax Tent and Gear, which you can pick up in most decent outdoor shops. It's not particularly cheap, about €15 for a bottle that will do most 3-man tents. Any bigger and you'll need more.

If you have a decent but old tent, it'll do the job, but if you have a cheap single wall tent, it would probably be cheaper (and better) to get a new one in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

Donny5 wrote: »
    It is possible. You can use stuff called Nikwax Tent and Gear, which you can pick up in most decent outdoor shops. It's not particularly cheap, about €15 for a bottle that will do most 3-man tents. Any bigger and you'll need more.

If you have a decent but old tent, it'll do the job, but if you have a cheap single wall tent, it would probably be cheaper (and better) to get a new one in the long run.

I thought as it has a layer that goes over the netting it would be alright
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3401606/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSport+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419152%7CCamping%7C14419397.htm

I dont plan on camping again in the near future thought it was the best value?

I thought as it has a layer that goes over the netting it would be alright
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3401606/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSport+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419152%7CCamping%7C14419397.htm

I dont plan on camping again in the near future thought it was the best value?

That tent will probably be okay. It is a double-walled tent, and, unless it's been abused or used a lot in the past, it probably won't benefit from being waterproofed. If the tent is new, it's factory waterproofing will still be good.

Just make sure you or your kit isn't touching the walls of the tent when it's raining. Tents are like umbrellas, the use tension in the fabric to keep water out, so touching the inner wall against the rain fly means leakage.

If it's for Oxegen, I hope the weather's better for you than the forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

Thanks so much for your help!

Its brand new so hope all is well yeah will be carefull about touching it

a friend suggested taping black bags on the outside of the inner tent as then even if we did touch of the walls water will fall on to black bags do you think this is any good? if worse came to worse?

Yeah heading down tomorrow I hope its not raining in the morning as im putting it put fingers crossed!! :)

a friend suggested taping black bags on the outside of the inner tent as then even if we did touch of the walls water will fall on to black bags do you think this is any good? if worse came to worse?

You could try it, but it sounds like a load of hassle, plus it'll probably mean a load of condensation at night from your breath. Maybe ring a roll of black bags, or one of those €5 rain ponchos you get in tourist shops in town as a back up if it starts letting water in. As it is, I'd say you'll be fine.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

if your useing nick wax... make sure you cleen the tray in the washing machine as it cloggs as access washing up powder will compamise the breathability of the item...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

Cheers for help!

NikWax is fantastic stuff, I first got to hear about it when I was riding motocross. It works great on all outdoor gear, any material too. Go get some, you'll be glad you did.

Advertisement