Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 Increase Prices - What will the others do

Options
  • 08-07-2010 12:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

as we saw with the banks once one does it the others do it too.

How do you think the other operators will react to o2 raising prices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

godtabh wrote: »
    as we saw with the banks once one does it the others do it too.

How do you think the other operators will react to o2 raising prices?

They usually tend to stick together when it comes to upping prices like this but after some clever people bringing it to light on this forum and the Apple Media devices forum, O2 took a massive hit on people leaving their contracts early without penalty.

It backfired on O2 in a really big way and as a result I'd imagine the other networks have been forced to think again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I could only see others increase their prices on a deadline bases but letting existing contracts run their course.

Big own goal for 02 and a kick in the teeth for greed when every one else is lowering their prices because of the recession..

On the other hand they might have something uo their slieves with Iphone 4 and could be waiting with some kind of an amnesty on those that have left them.

No one is going to take out an new Iphone contract until the new one is released.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I though the price increase was only affecting Pre paid customers, anyone any more detail on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

80% increase in connection charge for prepay. 34% increase on bill pay.

irish1967 wrote: »
    80% increase in connection charge for prepay. 34% increase on bill pay.
    Meteor have just announced an 80% connection fee increase on prepay. no talk of them increasing bill pay (yet), just proves that they are all in cartel. It will only be a matter of time before VF and 3 follow.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0712/phone.html

• Advertisement

The cheeky feckers, I was unaware of that. Does this give a person grounds to get out of contract with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

jordainius wrote: »
    after some clever people bringing it to light on this forum and the Apple Media devices forum, O2 took a massive hit on people leaving their contracts early without penalty.

It backfired on O2 in a really big way and as a result I'd imagine the other networks have been forced to think again.

I think u overestimate the power of boards. Although it may seem like a lot those threads have practically zero effect on O2

I think I will try it though, fed up of bad coverage, poor customer service and over priced plans.

How the heck could you accept term and conditions if you were not informed of them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

TomTom wrote: »
    How the heck could you accept term and conditions if you were not informed of them?

O2 published them on their website, there were ad's in the papers and I think also placed on the radio. They did their part of the notification process. they don't have to actually text you or call you (though I think they should!), if you didn't ring and cancel the contract by the 12th, you were deemed to have accepted the new T&C.

I have just spoke to them and they are saying that. I was never informed of a change to my contract and now I am bound by the new rules, that is utter bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I have just spoke to them and they are saying that. I was never informed of a change to my contract and now I am bound by the new rules, that is utter bull****.

Thats why I keep an eye on this section of boards and the o2 forums because I would have missed it, if it wasn't for someone posting it on here :eek:

angel01 wrote: »
    Thats why I keep an eye on this section of boards and the o2 forums because I would have missed it, if it wasn't for someone posting it on here :eek:

You really should not have to. Them text me every daya about 02 treats and blueroom and this and that but they cannot send a simple message about a change in terms and conditions.

Why are they allowed to give such vague info to customers and it's accepted that it's perfectaly normal. I am writing a letter to them now as I am fed up with how poor that are as a network from both a coverage, service and customer realtion point of view. This is the last straw for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

RTE reported that O2 and Meteor had said that they had to increase their charges as people were making less calls due to the recession.

Some strange business model, sales are down so lets increase some prices by up to 80% to the remaining customers !!!

People are making less calls due to the price of the bloody calles, will this not just push it down further.

People are making less calls due to the price of the bloody calles, will this not just push it down further.

In basic economics this is called "the law of diminishing returns". The phone corporates seem to be ignorant of this.

People will scale back, teenagers with phones currently have less money to spare for credit now than before with their parents struggling for work with high mortgages and many currently out of work.

People are now making less calls and text messages and scrapping additional features such as mail box.

Hopefully more and more will learn how to use VOIP and make use of PC to PC communication. The next thing we will hear will be the charging or scrapping altogether of online webtexts. :mad:

Letter posted, will be interisted in hearing their reply.

I set the family up on Voip a few years ago, my parents, brothers and sisters house. The reduction in cost was massive. My Da had an eircom bill close to 200 euro every 2 months which fell to 12 euro. The basic rate was 9.99 and 2 euro extra in international calls. Funny thing is my brother never had an eircom line is complaining about the monthly charge so I suggest he move back to eircom for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Comreg should ban "call connection charges", it is a pure scam by O2. Who do I write to in Comreg?

• Advertisement
Advertisement