Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ditching Telsey Modem/Router

• 08-07-2010 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am a magnet customer and am trying to use a dlink wireless N modem/router instead of the telsey thats provided.
    I am a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff but know the basics.
    When I access the admin page for the dlink I changed the DNS to point at magnets. I was unsure about the IP address of the router so tried leaving it 192.168.0.1 and also tried changing it to 87......
    I also changed the netmask to 255.255.252.0 which magnet uses.
    I can pick up the dlink wirless signal but am not getting an internet connection from it.
    I wanted to try getting it working with the telsey first before I get rid of it completely but can't even get that far.
    Apologies if this seems vague but as I said I am not great with networking.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I've signed up for magnet internet but I'm still waiting on my connection, so this is all just conjecture on my part.

From what I hear Magnet don't allow you to completely ditch the tesley modem and use your own equipment, probably cheaper for them to support if everyone is using the same stuff. However it does supply a publicly addressable IP to everything that connects to it so if your router is a standard ethernet router you should be able to use it as such, if it has an integrated modem the you're mostly out of luck. First thing you need to do is tell people what model DLink router you have and then people will be able to help you further.

On a more technical note, has anyone ever tried opening up those tesley modems and connecting a serial header to them. From their manufacturers website they seem to be running linux based firmware and they possibly have a header on the board. It may be possible to hook it up and get the settings that way, though God only knows how Magnet would react if you have your own equipment on their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Cheers for the reply.
    It does say cable modem in the description but it mentions in the manual that it works for ADSL aswell (I hope).
    I bought it as I was advised on an modem/router by another guy on here who has actually managed to ditch the telsey completely.
    I PM him but he hasnt got back.

Here is the model of the router http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=565

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

sham69 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply.
    It does say cable modem in the description but it mentions in the manual that it works for ADSL aswell (I hope).
    I bought it as I was advised on an modem/router by another guy on here who has actually managed to ditch the telsey completely.
    I PM him but he hasnt got back.

Here is the model of the router http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=565

There's no modem in that, it's just a router. You can connect it to the Telsey and have it do the routing between our PC's and the net at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Hi,
    I am a magnet customer and am trying to use a dlink wireless N modem/router instead of the telsey thats provided.
    I am a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff but know the basics.
    When I access the admin page for the dlink I changed the DNS to point at magnets. I was unsure about the IP address of the router so tried leaving it 192.168.0.1 and also tried changing it to 87......
    I also changed the netmask to 255.255.252.0 which magnet uses.
    I can pick up the dlink wirless signal but am not getting an internet connection from it.
    I wanted to try getting it working with the telsey first before I get rid of it completely but can't even get that far.
    Apologies if this seems vague but as I said I am not great with networking.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

There is a thread here about ditching the telsey and using your own.

You *may* need to have your router in bridge mode, and I'm pretty sure there are another couple of settings you have to change.

BTW - you can get the IP adress of your router by opening a CMD prompt, and typing:

ipconfig /all

The default gateway address should be the address to your router. Pop this in the browser and you should get to it from there. (you'll note the default gateway if blank on the telsey router, it is on mine anyway :rolleyes:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055879677&highlight=telsey

BTW you wont be able to use that router on its own, it has no built in modem. You need an ADSL2+ Modem/router to have any chance of dithing the telsey.

Cheers guys.
    I know how to get the IP but still couldnt get it to work.
    It seems I bought the wrong router, meant to get one with a modem in it :mad:

Anyway I would be happy enough if I can manage to get it working with the telsey. As I said I can get the wireless signal from the Dlink ok but its not connecting to the internet.
    I will have another mess aorund with it when I get home.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys.
    I know how to get the IP but still couldnt get it to work.
    It seems I bought the wrong router, meant to get one with a modem in it :mad:

Anyway I would be happy enough if I can manage to get it working with the telsey. As I said I can get the wireless signal from the Dlink ok but its not connecting to the internet.
    I will have another mess aorund with it when I get home.
    Thanks again.

Take the ethernet from the telsey into the WAN of the router. Bingo. Should be fairly straightforward.

Tried that and it didnt work?
    I will try again when I get home as I may have over complicated it due to the fact that I thought it was a modem router so did some messing with the settings on the Dlink.
    Will report back later.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tried that and it didnt work?
    I will try again when I get home as I may have over complicated it due to the fact that I thought it was a modem router so did some messing with the settings on the Dlink.
    Will report back later.

The Dlink should be connect to the Telsey by the WAN port as Gunner said. After that the Dlink should be set to get an address by DHCP as it's internet connection type. After that it'll get a public address through the Telsey and appear as the public interface for your network.

Thanks, I will reset the router and try again later.
    Cheers all for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Spear wrote: »
    The Dlink should be connect to the Telsey by the WAN port as Gunner said. After that the Dlink should be set to get an address by DHCP as it's internet connection type. After that it'll get a public address through the Telsey and appear as the public interface for your network.

Will this happen? I've not tried this before, so I don't know, but if the Telsey is not in Bridge mode, then will it not assign a local (192.168.x.x) address to the WAN of the Dlink router, and not a public IP which would be assigned to the WAN of the Telsey modem?

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    Will this happen? I've not tried this before, so I don't know, but if the Telsey is not in Bridge mode, then will it not assign a local (192.168.x.x) address to the WAN of the Dlink router, and not a public IP which would be assigned to the WAN of the Telsey modem?

But they are all in bridge mode are they not?

I think that's a question for Magnet to answer, as they won't allow anyone access to the Telsey settings grr......

I have seen people set their Magnet connection up as such before though, so while I cannot say it will 'definitely' work for the OP, it 'definitely' has worked in the past using the Telsey on Magnet.

Obviously, the best route would be to replace the Telsey with an ADSL2+ modem/router of your own - but good luck getting the settings.

There is a post in the thread I linked to above suggesting that a different modem/router can indeed be used, and the poster suggested they found the settings on the Magnet site - but I certainly cannot.

I did PM that poster about their settings, but they have not reverted to me as yet.

Magnet won't let you put the modem into bridge mode, so its still preforming the PPPoA decapsulation. However the router by default does not have a firewall and provides publicly addressable IPs to everybody who connects, so one of those is what you get when you plug in your router.

OP if the reason you are trying this is due to a problem with the Telsey router, then unless the problem is on the wireless end its possible that this won't help all that much as the Telsey is still doing most of the grunt work.

Knasher wrote: »
    Magnet won't let you put the modem into bridge mode, so its still preforming the PPPoA decapsulation. However the router by default does not have a firewall and provides publicly addressable IPs to everybody who connects, so one of those is what you get when you plug in your router.

OP if the reason you are trying this is due to a problem with the Telsey router, then unless the problem is on the wireless end its possible that this won't help all that much as the Telsey is still doing most of the grunt work.

I was under the impression that the modem was performing in bridge mode when supplied?

One of my main gripes with the Telsey isthe complete lack of even basic security settings.

Anyone can log onto your signal without you knowing, and steal your connection, or in a worst case scenario, perform illegal activities using public IP's assigned to you by Magnet.

AFAIK when you are talking about DSL bridging refers to passing through the encapsulated PPP connection and then decapsulating on the router itself, which means that the modem is doing as little as possible such that if it is crap you really don't notice as much.

right , not really getting anywhere with this.
    I left the telsey plugged in as normal, i.e ADSL in, Ethernet from PC to telsey (like to have a hired wired connection aswell) and plugged a cable from the telsey Lan port to a lan port on the dlink.
    I cannot get an internet connection.
    There are 4 lan ports on the dlink and one internet port (which I presume is for the cable aspect)
    So do I need to have the ethernet from the pc going to the dlink aswell as the other ethernet to the lan port?
    I hope this all makes sense.
    Thanks.

The way I would set it up is by plugging in the Telsey as normal. Then a lan cable from the Telsey to the WAN (or Internet) port on the DLink from there ethernet to your PC and wireless to your laptop or whatever. Provided you have the DLink set to DHCP it should get an public IP address and you should be good to go.

The advantages of this approach is that you are behind a firewall on your router, and if you need to set up file sharing on your PC it will be simpler if all your devices are on a LAN together.

The problem with your current setup is you have a DHCP server running on your router handing out leases that have their gateway set as the router. However the router doesn't know how to actually route to the internet so you don't have an internet connection. If you want it wired that way you should disable the DHCP server on the DLink and it should then work by getting the IP lease from the Telsey router.

Hope I was clear enough and that it helps.

Right got it working.
    I rebooted the router after doing what Knasher said and its working great.
    i am using it to try to extend my wireless signal around the house for watching neflix in bed on the iPad etc.
    Hopefully this will improve things.
    Thanks Knasher and everyone else for taking the time to help.
    Maybe in a few months I will be brave enough to try to get rid of the telsey with an ADSL router.
    Thanks Again.

The question of how to do this seems to come up quite often - maybe this should be stickied, or at least the information on how to use your own router with the Telsey on Magnet should be stickied.

Sorry for starting this up again but I decided to try to get rid of the telsey completely.
    This time I bought an adsl modem router, wireless N

http://www.tenda.cn/product/show.php?productid-343.html
    I followed what someone was saying on another thread about this and in the dsl setting I put 0 and 35 in.
    It was 8 and 35.
    There are other options for mode , bridge, ppoee, ppoaa and something else.
    There are then other options for adsl, adsl2, and annex l and annex m or something like that.
    Can anyone help me out with these settings please?
    I also tried to split the adsl line which is a disaster if I try to split it going into the modem as the antenna gets in the way of the splitter.
    I tried splitting it from the box on the wall but am getting static so I am guessing I need a filter.
    Any advice on this greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Sham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

The simplest place to get this info is from the Telsey (assuming you still have it and it's still working). Go to wherever the WAN/ADSL settings are in the Telsey and make a note of everything there. Then match these up on the equivalent page on the new router.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply.
    I don't think I can get the settings as its not your conventional router.
    Its a bridged modem router with all the admin done by magnet (as far as I know)
    I don't think you can access the settings at all.

It was 8 and 35.
    There are other options for mode , bridge, ppoee, ppoaa and something else.
    There are then other options for adsl, adsl2, and annex l and annex m or something like that.
    Can anyone help me out with these settings please?

The Telseys use bridge mode of ATM AAL5 LLC Snap on vpi=0 vci=35 according to Magnet, ideally you should be able to reproduce that in your new router.

bhickey wrote: »
    The simplest place to get this info is from the Telsey (assuming you still have it and it's still working). Go to wherever the WAN/ADSL settings are in the Telsey and make a note of everything there. Then match these up on the equivalent page on the new router.

There are no accessible settings on the Telsey.

Cheers.
    I put in the 0 and the 35 (35 was already set), it didnt work.
    This was in bridged mode.
    The other settings confused me so I didnt change anything else.
    Do I have to change anything with regard to the IP or subnet.
    Magnet seems to use 255.255.252.0 as opposed to the normal 255.
    Sorry I am a bit clueless on this.
    I do reckon that I need a filter to achieve the split on the line.
    There was supposed to be one in the rotuer I bought but it was missing from the box.
    Typical.
    I will try to post a picture of the settings page of the tenda to explain where I am getting confused.
    Thanks again for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Spear wrote: »
    There are no accessible settings on the Telsey.

So does the Telsey not even have any LAN or WAN IP that can be used to access it settings? Now that's just silly.

bhickey wrote: »
    So does the Telsey not even have any LAN or WAN IP that can be used to access it settings? Now that's just silly.

No, there's nothing, it's entirely transparent to the end-user.

Right,
    Here are a couple of screens,
    Any ideas welcome as I havent a clue what I am doing.

Cheers.

Last one,
    There are more but I don't think they are important.

Ok made a bit of progress as far as I have the phone working using the new router.
    On advice from Lebash a while back I used the new tend a as the primary plugging the adsl into this then using ethernet cable use the telsey as the secondary and the phone port out and works perfectly.
    I ran through the cd setup again, chose bridged , 0 and 35 as the vci etc and that's it.
    All seems to go ok but it's not getting an ip?
    Any ideas anyone, I think I am pretty close to getting it all working
    Cheers.

Got it working but now the phone doesnt work, so I know what i am doing now.
    Once I figure it all out I will post a guide, might be helpful for magnet users as knowledge of this seems to ba scarce.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jamesk_irl

Sham - quick question.

Why not keep the Telsey - use this for your phone.
    Connect the Telsey to your router WAN.
    Purely use the Router as a router to allocate IPs and maintain your internal network?

I agree there should be Magnet sticky with all of the common setups
    * Telsey only
    This meets most people's requirement - I found the wireless unstable.

* Telsey/ Router
    This is my current set-up and is pure plug and play if your router is only routing.

* Telsey / Router-Modem
    This was my old set-up but never got this right

Advertisement