Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ditching Telsey Modem/Router

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi jamesk_irl,
    Thats what I ended up doing.
    I put the adsl line into the new router (tenda), ethernet plugged into pc then another ethernet from tenda to telsey (using telsey as secondary router) and then using the phone out from the telsey.
    Had this working last night , hard wired internet worked via ethernet cable and wirless worked fine, could connect my iphone , ipad to the tenda wireless and it is much faster (for streaming etc).
    Only problem being , the phone is not working properly.
    I can get a ring tone but can't make calls in or out.
    I need to do a bit more messing around , think I am close.
    Cheers for the reply.
    I will post instructions once I have it all working.

Well I gave up on this.
    I can get the new router working as far as getting the internet , wireless etc.
    I cannot get the phone line working and this is when leaving the phone out connected to the telsey.
    I got an adsl filter just in case it was something to do with that but I can't get it to work.
    I can get a dial tone but can't dial in or out.
    It works fine when adsl line is put back in to the telsey.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Is there some sort of voip filter that I might need?
    Really clutching at straws now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Having a dial tone from VoIP (which is what the tesley does) isn't really as indicative as it is using regular old dial up because all it indicates is that your phone is connected as far as the PSTN which in this case is just your tesley router, from there normally the tesley would do the connecting to Magnets VoIP server and everything would work. However in your case the tesley can't figure out how to actually get to Magnets network and therefore your phone doesn't work.

Unfortunately I doubt there is much of a way around this, you can't change the routing settings on the tesley so you can't use that hardware. You also don't have your VoIP settings so you can't use their VoIP service with different hardware (unless they are willing to give you the settings). About all you can do is buy different VoIP hardware and then use a different VoIP service.

Thanks Knasher,
    wasted money on the wireless N router so.
    Adverts.ie I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jamesk_irl

Sham - I don't think you have wasted money.

Connect your phone line to your Telsey
    Connect your phone to the Telsey
    Connect your Wireless N Router to Telsey using WAN

Connect all machines to the Wireless N Router

Volia

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply
    I have the telsey hard wired to my pc as no wireless card on pc and like having it hard wired for speed
    When I plug the tend a in to the telsey wan I lose my hard wired connection on my telsey?
    I think it has a problem resolving the dns?
    I am not sure if I messed up the settings on the tenda
    I have it in bridged mode I think, there are a few settings , mer, bridged, pppoa etc?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Azion

Hey all,
    I have Magnet 24Mb with the standard Telsey router/modem.
    I'd like to configure my Netgear DG834N to either work in conjunction with the Telsey or standalone. My reason for doing this, is so that I can have a local network, instead of externally accessing devices that are in my home. I've tried briefly to connect the DG834N to the Telsey, using a bog standard network cable, connected to the ethernet port on the Telsey and going into the ethernet port on the DG834N (It's an ADSL router). I've read from above that people are connecting their routers by WAN, however I'm not sure if this is possible using the Netgear as it's only got a RJ11?/Telephone socket input. When I had the setup running, internet would work over the Netgear's wireless, but I couldn't access the admin page for the Netgear. On the Telsey, I could access the Netgear's admin page but there was no internet connection (google wouldn't show up etc.) Bit confused as to why it's working like this. Can anyone offer some advice or help to get this to work as I want?

Thanks

*Update*
    Decided to try the Netgear DG834N on its own, and it's working perfectly. Took the phone line out of the Telsey modem and plugged it into the Netgear, and powered on. At first no connection was made, but I changed the ADSL settings to the one's posted earlier i.e.

Multiplexing Method : LLC-BASED
    VPI : 0
    VCI : 35

Everythings working perfect now!

glad you got it working azion.
    I assume you don't have the voip phone with magnet aswell and just the broadband?
    I am desperately trying to get rid of the telsey but can't get the phone working through the new modem router I got.
    Sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 snyperkyller

Hi, I'm a Magnet subscriber. I've been reading lots of posts etc on how to sort out my problem and I came across this one, which has been helpful, so just posting this for future reference.

The Telsey modem is a pain because I want internet access AND to set up a home network. Support at Magnet told me Telsey uses a public address system, which means they conflict with each other. They turned off the wireless capability on the Telsey, the idea being I'd hook up a router to it, but I couldn't get internet access that way, or my networking. My router is a Canyon.

So I rooted around upstairs (no pun) and found an older Belkin ADSL modem-router which I forgot about. I plugged out the connection from the Telsey, put it in my Belkin, plugged the ethernet connection from my Belkin to my laptop so I'd be sure to get the configuration panel.

In 'Connection Type', where it says PPPoe, PPPoA, Dynamic IP etc...I clicked Dynamic IP.

In VPI/ VCI, I put 0 35, and encapsulation as LLC.

That's all I changed in the modem-router settings, and the internet is working wirelessly on all my laptops, with Telsey sitting unplugged in the corner.

Haven't tried the Home network yet, but hopefully it won't be too hard!

C

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

I know this thread is a little old, but I tried using the settings in the screenshot to know avail. The router is a Cisco Linksys x2000
    Router%20Settings.png

Aside from the QoS, which we weren't given any value for, these settings are I think the same as what everyone is suggesting and also what were supplied to us by Magnet, but we consistently get no internet through our new router.

The Telsey has just been awful to us, not being able to handle many devices and generally having poor reliability when it comes to connectivity.

Thanks in advance to anyone with advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement