Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was you're best moment on a bike?

• 08-07-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭

I've been reading Arthurdaly's 'I'm amazing' post and I'm not sure he get's it. It's always encouraging to read posts from cyclists of every level and ability who have a sense of achievement and mental wellbeing, be it from not falling off and crippling themselves the first time they've ridden a bike in 20 years; to challenging themselves to cycling to work, losing weight, sticking with it and maybe moving on to considering sprotives; participating in and usually finishing sportives; or racing against other commuters, themselves or comptetively.

It's not bragging to post your achievements. It's sharing an experience which people understand and may give them something to aspire to, perhaps achieve, and be mentally and physically fitter for the effort.

I think it would be really interesting and maybe inspirational if people posted their best moment(s) ever on a bike (it's not bragging).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hmmm, still waiting for a "best" moment, but I've had lots of great ones. In fact, nearly every time I get out on the bike is a great moment, I don't think many things come close to that level of simple and pure enjoyment.

Of course, I don't always look happy on a bike, but inside I'm laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I keep setting challenges for myself to do longer distances as a way to build stamina and loose weight. Only started cycling in April. Challenge for last weekend was to cycle Dublin to Drogheda and back and got it done. Was sore after but well chuffed with myself. Next challenge this Sat a 70km cycle round Wicklow mountains. And have lost over half a stone in last 2 weeks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Descending in the Nurburgring at 90kph at night time was kinda thrilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SamB64

Reaching the top of Alp D'Heuz

Being on a mountain bike holiday, and realising L'Alp was only three miles away.

2.25 Panaracer Cinders with slime tubes made it hardwork, but gliding into the Ski Station at the top was awesome.

Sam. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The time I crushed all my opponents into the dirt.

Muwahhhaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

blorg wrote: »
    The time I crushed all my opponents into the dirt.

I'd imagine the lamentations of their women get a bit old when you just want a stretch and some cake afterward :D

Mine is probably when I saw Alpe d'Huez for the first time in the marmotte just coming into Huez village - was suffering badly and to suddenly see the end was a glorious moment. Still a good 5km away but just seeing it did wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I haven't done anything spectacular that stands out. My favourite times on the bike are when there's no traffic around, sun shining, no wind and just enjoying the cycle.

My favourite time off the bike is after cycling home from work on a warm sunny evening and enjoying a nice pint....aah there's nothing better:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Doing a 10ft long jump on my Grifter. I was 9 or 10 I think. Doesn't get much better than that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I haven't done anything spectacular either but I did Slieve Mann and the Shay Elliott for the first time last Saturday, as part of an 85k spin that also took in the Wicklow Gap. Reading the "toughest climbs in Wicklow" thread, I felt I had to tick them off the list and, to be honest, it wasn't too bad. Even though I think I did them from the easy side, I got a nice sense of achievement. Not exactly the Marmotte but there you go...

I shall be taking on the Hill of Howth TT course for the second time this evening. If I break 9 minutes (highly unlikely), I will regard it as my finest hour on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If I break 9 minutes (highly unlikely), I will regard it as my finest hour on a bike.

:confused:

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Climbed Mont Ventoux last summer, killed me & was in bits at the top, so did it again the next day and was able to enjoy the top that time, great feeling to have made it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My Best moment was getting OFF the bike last night after the race. Totally B*****ix'd, but Happy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Cycling over 70km in the snow and ice last year - I felt like a real hard b$5tard after that - even though it was pure stubborness that kept me out because I didn't want to go home and admit to everyone it was too cold, icy and snowy for cycling.

I just came back loaded up the data from the GPS and displayed it on the TV!!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

cycling the l'etape and having the fans cheering me on at the side of the road as if i was a pro!! and meeting Eddie Merckx at the end. awesome experience.
    and a close second is cycling next to Sean Kelly (childhood hero) and he going "nice bike!!!" i coulda died and gone to heaven there and then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

el tel wrote: »
    :confused:

:)

I was using the same time stretching algorithim I employ when discussing my prowess in the sack.

Anyway, it will feel like an hour.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm pretty sure my finest moment on the bike is still to come.

There have been some pretty amazing ones so far though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

As I have to put up with Galways traffic everyday as part of my job I have to give being lead by 2 Garda Motor Bikes with sirens blazing from Carnmore Cross all the way to the UCG on the Sat of TOI 08 as bing something special. Especially as the group left me infront from Headford roundabout. And this was the 4th group a few hours after the fastlads had come in.
    I lived a dream on what was the nearest thing to a home stage as I was riding my own race:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Doing just under 100k there last week. Biggest cycle so far, faded at the 40k mark due to my inability to manage my calorie intake properly. Caloried up and the other 50k were grand.

Doing a 135k spin next saturday :)

Esroh wrote: »
    As I have to put up with Galways traffic everyday as part of my job I have to give being lead by 2 Garda Motor Bikes with sirens blazing from Carnmore Cross all the way to the UCG on the Sat of TOI 08 as bing something special. Especially as the group left me infront from Headford roundabout. And this was the 4th group a few hours after the fastlads had come in.
    I lived a dream on what was the nearest thing to a home stage as I was riding my own race:D

Do you remember arriving into Galway on the Friday? There were no marshals or outriders anywhere when my group got in. Lads were racing in the traffic... nutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

Cycling up the hill in pouring rain and a forty kph wind at Malin Head at about 19:15 on a Sunday having set off from Mizen head at 19:30 on the Tuesday is probably second. The feeling was pretty good. The best was cycling up the same hill, again in pouring rain, after taking about ten days to do the same cycle as that time we didn't have any support and were carrying our own gear, one of us on a really ****ty mountain bike. The feeling of accomplishment is hard to describe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

those 'no chain' days, they are kind of rare, but when they come they are stunningly good, what bike riding is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Jawgap wrote: »
    Cycling over 70km in the snow and ice last year - I felt like a real hard b$5tard after that - even though it was pure stubborness that kept me out because I didn't want to go home and admit to everyone it was too cold, icy and snowy for cycling.

I just came back loaded up the data from the GPS and displayed it on the TV!!!!:)
    Same sort of experience. It was last winter going through floods and ice when no one was about. As I came out of the valley, the look of the tourists faces as I emerged soaking wet, pulling off my shoes to pour out water and settling down to a nice cup of tea still is priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Attempting a doomed solo breakaway in my first race.

It didn't work (of course) but I briefly felt like a proper cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lumen wrote: »
    Attempting a doomed solo breakaway in my first race.

It didn't work (of course) but I briefly felt like a proper cyclist.

Wait, wait, I've got one:

Dooming that attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

finishing my first proper club race last night. i hadnt even done a sportive beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Finishing first 400 on the marmotte and EARNING a spot in the 1st group the next year, not buying my way into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

I'd a notable one the other week while out on the saturday spin.

Was cycling through Celbridge, and passed the kerb that I'd pushed off, sans-stabilisers, ahead of my Jonathan Livingstone Seagull moment at the age of 4!

Made me smile, although I expect my 4 year old self would have pointed and laughed at the man in the tights and funny helmet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Raam wrote: »
    Do you remember arriving into Galway on the Friday? There were no marshals or outriders anywhere when my group got in. Lads were racing in the traffic... nutters.

Raam it was a Saturday in 08( I worked sats those days and I knew what the traffic would be like) and it was because you guys went so fast and got there before the guards were ready that we got all the bells and whistles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

My girlfriend noticing my calf muscle recently and going "holy f**k!!"

Cycling: unforseen benefits.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Race out west. Sligo maybe.

Break left us early, 2 big loops followed by 5 small loops outside the town.

Just A's and B's those days, and there were a few B's up in the break and with no chase being organised it seemed the goose was cooked after a long drive up there.

Anyway, in the final miles preceeding hitting the town loop I noticed a few B's being reeled back in and arrived at the conclusion that the balance of them were probably struggling with the miles. None of my club mates had made the break (A's) and because I'd had a few placings over the previous weeks they elected to work for me. So there I was, sat in behind 6 lads working flat out for me, reeling in the remaining B's before leaving me to my own devices for the up hill bunch sprint.

Felt like a pro, stringing out a bunch in tandem with 6 lads all in the same gear.

Esroh wrote: »
    Raam it was a Saturday in 08( I worked sats those days and I knew what the traffic would be like) and it was because you guys went so fast and got there before the guards were ready that we got all the bells and whistles

Ah yes, I remember now. T'was Saturday indeed. I was hanging on for dear life all day and I lost the main group when the pace picked up about 10 or 15km out. The guys that were dropped still hammered it though. That wasn't a "best moment" but it was certainly a "scary moment".

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

In my best dreams I can wheelie and bunny hop.

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Best moment has to be when I was given a mars that got me through the last 20k of the wicklow200 and finishing to see my family at the end stood in the rain cheering us in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Mine usually it involves tail win or a downhill ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Think I'm gonna be sick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Gorey Three day race 26 years ago was pretty memorable and Peter Crinnions reaction to our team (Team Rentakill) result.

Best day in more recent times?
    Finishing this years Wicklow 200 was nice.
    Always feels pretty special to finish W200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Cycling home after a 168k epic, the weather changed very quickly and for the worst.
    Driving wind and rain took over where there had previously been sunshine and calm.
    Temp must have dropped 5 or 6 degrees quickly.

Drenched to the skin, tired to the bone, dehydrated and hungry I was about to put my head down in shame and seek refuse under a nearby tree canopy.

Then, on the crest of a hill up the road was a lone cyclist dressed all in white. A mane of auburn hair blew in the wind.
    As I cycled up she motioned that I should take her wheel.

It was my saviour, ASSOS girl. Dressed in rain soaked white she ploughed thru the rain and cleared thru wind with such panache. I clung onto that wheel as if my life depended on it.

She guided me home.

(this did happen, but maybe not in actual reality)

ROK ON wrote: »
    I was about to put my head down in shame and seek refuse under a nearby tree

homeless-polar-bear-garbage-can-washington-dc-cty-paper-greenpeace-global-warming-awareness-art-journalist-james-oliphant-the-swamp-blog-columbia-heights-school-bomb-scare-photo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Blackberry predictive text and stubby little fingers. Nearly choked on a mandarin LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

some of the few -

taking off the stablizers

negotiating london traffic

110km in p!ssing rain

learning to do wheelys, stoppies, and bunny hops

decending at 75kph

also getting to the top of the alpe d heuz

actully that last one was by bus and cable car but kudos and 100% respect to those who cycled all those hair pin turns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

One of my best was doing a solo 60km spin in the Wicklow mountains in the snow last winter, thereby banishing any fears that I might actually be a fred too... Turning back into the estate was a great feeling.

Unfortunately, it was quickly followed by one of the worst. Managed the whole route fine, but hit a bit of ice not 600m from my house, crashed and fractured my scaphoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna be sick!

You're right Arthur, this sickly sweet "ain't I great" thread is turning my stomach. So, especially for you Arthur, you miserable get, instead of giving you my best, here's my worst.

When I was 6, I was cycling to the shop for sweets near my grannies. I was on my Grifter. As I was going down a steep hill, I turned around to see where my cousins were and came off. Fell right on my face, Jens Voight-like.

I split my lip open on the brake lever and ripped a finger on my right hand right down to the bone. I can still remember the copper coins that I had been tightly holding in my hand rolling down the hill as blood flowed past my prone head. I can still remember getting my cuts washed in a nearby house and bleeding all over their bathroom. I can still remember getting 10 stitches inside my lip and 12 outside, and 8 stitches in my finger. I can still remember my mam fainting. I can still remember my dad (a guard) fainting! 28 years on, I still have the scars to remind me.

Good times.

So Arthur, give us your top 1 10 100 "worst times ever on a bike" so we can set the world to rights and put the smug bastards posting on this thread back in their box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

On the bike Community Games National Final 1973 gold medal

Off the bike getting a job as a driver on Sean Kelly's retirement race event in 93. Drove most of the "gods" that came over. Even had to rescue Hinault from a group of autograph hunters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I split my lip open on the brake lever and ripped a finger on my right hand right down to the bone. I can still remember the copper coins that I had been tightly holding in my hand rolling down the hill as blood flowed past my prone head. I can still remember getting my cuts washed in a nearby house and bleeding all over their bathroom. I can still remember getting 10 stitches inside my lip and 12 outside, and 8 stitches in my finger. I can still remember my mam fainting. I can still remember my dad (a guard) fainting! 28 years on, I still have the scars to remind me.
    My father managed similar as a child; I think he was going down a hill with no hands. From the description I got his bone ended up protruding out of his elbow. He still has a very prominent -|-|-|-|- scar from the stitching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

November 1993.Cycled round to my sisters flat in Cork to drop off a book. Came out 5 mins later and my bike was robbed. (Peugeot Galiber with Shimano 600 gear and Mavic tubs-Robert Miller replica--I loved that bike.)

I had been training hard and on the wagon for months but decided fcuk it I'm going on the piss.Long story short-met a girl in the pub and we are still together 17 years and two kids later.

Thanks Mr Bike Thief you scumbag fcukerr.:)

papac wrote: »
    I had been training hard and on the wagon for months but decided fcuk it I'm going on the piss.Long story short-met a girl in the pub and we are still together 17 years and two kids later.

Have you considered the possibility that Mrs Papac stole your bike as part of an elaborate stalking plot?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

papac wrote: »
    November 1993.Cycled round to my sisters flat in Cork to drop off a book. Came out 5 mins later and my bike was robbed. (Peugeot Galiber with Shimano 600 gear and Mavic tubs-Robert Miller replica--I loved that bike.)

Thanks Mr Bike Thief you scumbag fcukerr.:)
    I can't work out if this is your best or worst moment:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I must admit there have been times when I would have swopped her for my Peugeot back.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Last week I was tailing this girl with a lovely bum. Makes all the training worth it
    for moments like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

going off topic ever so slightly if i may, in relation to the alpe d'huez stories. interesting article in this months 'red bullletin' with todays 'indo' on an annual mountain biking event, where they desend from the very top of the alpe d'huez (pic blanc) at 3,550m, through the town/resort of alpe d'huez at 1,800m with the finish in allemond at 625m.

now thats one i'd like to add to the list

avalanchecup.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement