Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick Street Sinking?

Options
  • 08-07-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Was in Easons this morning and overheard the two women serving discussing road works just by the Father Mathew Statue, one woman was saying to the other that the reason for the excavations was that the street was sinking. A metaphor for our times methinks. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

What would two women working in easons know about subsidence?
    Hearsay me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Eh right. 2 women, at a newsagents have insight into civil engineering. Next up, Dancing Dave will be performing open heart surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Patrick Street did used to be a tributary of the Lee until the 18th century, could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Most of the tributaries are still there, but have culverts constructed over them. The boat houses on the South Mall are evidence enough of that, and the upturned cannon on the corner of Tuckey Street where people could tie up their boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Was on the no.8 there a while ago and the bus driver was shouting at people waiting at bus stops on the closed side. Over heard him saying that the easons side will be closed for 4 weeks. So if the place was sinking it would take quite a bit longer than that id say to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Dan Dare wrote: »
    ...the reason for the excavations was that the street was sinking.

It'll be the weight of all those horrible bricks they put on it a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I doubt they knew what they were on about but its true that the whole city center sinks a bit every year. There was a great pic i saw somewhere of the corporation doin road works at the top of grand parade, just outside centra, where they dug a deep enough hole and there was what i could describe as a river flowing underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

It wouldn't really surprise me if there was subsidence in the city. It is all basically constructed on filled in tributries. Cork in general has subsidence issues all around the place, hence some of the most expensive house insurance you can get in Ireland is for Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Figure_7_Culvert_Grand_Parade.jpg

culvert.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Those are the pics I was on about, thanks for that pal

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did that collapse? Is that its current state or was that taken ages ago. I was wondering why Pana was closed eastbound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

CHealy wrote: »
    Those are the pics I was on about, thanks for that pal

:cool:
    Hogzy wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did that collapse? Is that its current state or was that taken ages ago. I was wondering why Pana was closed eastbound.

That's Grand Parade/Daunts Square a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

brilliant photos them!

susidence does seem to be huge problem in cork, a lot of houses for sale will have something in the ad about subsidence

to say patrick steet is sinking may be a bit dramatic though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 The Barron

The city was built between two hills and on a flood plain. :eek:

The coal quay and out around Liberty St, and the Mercy hospital was always locally known as the Marsh

So even after 800 years we still have bad planners :mad: :o

The Barron wrote: »

So even after 800 years we still have bad planners :mad: :o

What do you expect them to do? Just put the entire city on the back of a truck and move it to a place that isnt a Marsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Being from Cork, any time I'm doing a description of Irish cities for overseas friends, I tend to reference Monty Python's Swamp Castle when referring to Cork's origin.

Advertisement