Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences between browsers driving me crazy!

Options
  • 08-07-2010 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys...
    Im putting together a site using dreamweaver cs5.
    Basic CSS, xhtml etc.

Now the site looks ok in Chrome and firefox, but in internet explorer my masthead image has a horrible purple border on it, and my nav bar has its hover over image as black which obscures the text.

I've no idea where the code for this is coming from, and cant figure it out...

Any help on how to fix it?
    Thanks
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Maybe if you post a link we might be able to help you...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Is the code anywhere online we can take a look at?

The purple border sounds like a visited link. If your image is a link, try adding the following to your CSS:
    [html]a img{
    border:0
    }[/html]
    That should stop all images used as a link from having borders.

What way are you creating the rollover image in the nav bar? Make sure all paths are correct. Are the images PNG with transparency? IE6 had issues with PNG transparency, not sure about the later versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Is the code anywhere online we can take a look at?

The purple border sounds like a visited link. If your image is a link, try adding the following to your CSS:
    [html]a img{
    border:0
    }[/html]That should stop all images used as a link from having borders.

What way are you creating the rollover image in the nav bar? Make sure all paths are correct. Are the images PNG with transparency? IE6 had issues with PNG transparency, not sure about the later versions.

Thanks Robert! That fixed it :) Something else has gone wrong now with my nav bar :(:( Anyway, im trying to host it on godaddy.com but for some reason my domain name from letshost.ie is not showing up on a DNS search. Any idea how long it takes for a domain name to be registered? Thanks again John

Hi Guys, Im stuck trying to upload my site from CS5 to godaddy.com I bought a .ie domain from letshost.ie yeaterday. Then i bought 3 months linux hosting from godaddy.com I went through the setup process with godaddy.com online and i can log in using their web based client to see files on my part of their server. But i cant ftp to it using CS5 Nor can i use firefox to navigate to my domain 'live' I didnt do anything from the letshost.ie side of things, mainly as it wouldnt let me log in. Do i need to do something on that side? Id really appreciate some help here Thanks! John

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Im stuck trying to upload my site from CS5 to godaddy.com I bought a .ie domain from letshost.ie yeaterday. Then i bought 3 months linux hosting from godaddy.com I went through the setup process with godaddy.com online and i can log in using their web based client to see files on my part of their server. But i cant ftp to it using CS5 Nor can i use firefox to navigate to my domain 'live' I didnt do anything from the letshost.ie side of things, mainly as it wouldnt let me log in. Do i need to do something on that side? Id really appreciate some help here Thanks! John

The DNS may not have changed yet, you should be able to see them later today once a reload occurs on the servers. In the meantime there should be a temporary FTP you can use to connect to the server and later change it to ftp.domain.xxx

• Advertisement

Thanks!
    Very odd timing but letshost.ie just sent me a mail about more info i need to fax them etc. before they finish registration.
    So that was probably part of the problem!
    Now, where to find a fax machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Dr Nic wrote: »
    letshost.ie just sent me a mail about more info i need to fax them etc. before they finish registration.

Not uncommon with a .ie registration. Most categories of registration require supporting documentation.

Hi Guys,
    Im not up and running on godaddy.com
    Anyone care to check out my site.

Its very very early days yet...
    Any comments however critical are welcome!
    Thanks
    John

www.theirishhypnotist.com

:)

Advertisement