Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick graffiti cover up mystery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Well maybe that could be the MP's plan.

The guys "art" got painted over because it was tagged, so maybe the artists will start to "police" the taggers and tell them to leave their stuff alone (or even better "to grow the f**k up")??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Liam Byrne wrote: »

So I would suggest that you maybe target your anger at those who defaced said art;

No anger here , don't know how that came through in any of my posts . The sooner someone invents internet protocol that can show emotion the better . Th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jonski wrote: »
    No anger here , don't know how that came through in any of my posts . The sooner someone invents internet protocol that can show emotion the better . Th

Wasn't having a direct go; maybe "anger" wasn't the right word, and now that I'm thinking about it "annoyance" or "objection" mightn't even fit......hope my point doesn't get lost due to the lack of a suitable word.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I mean, some of the other posters are in favour of vandalism and illegal activity.

Would you be as defensive of their right to a "different opinion" if the illegal activity involved was murder or stealing ?

From what I can gather, most people here are upset because two stunning spots have been destroyed. I haven't seen anyone defend the practice of tagging other property. I'll read through the thread again to make sure though.

Vandalism of private and/or Council property was not the aim of the artists who'd worked on the skate-park and The Spot. Material like that, as shown by Jackobyte above, can brighten up an area.

I wouldn't defend illegal actions. What some taggers have done to this city is disgraceful, ugly and wrong. There's nobody arguing that. I just think a little bit of White Spirits or paint-thinner would have been a much more pragmatic way of removing the bad while preserving the good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

jonski wrote: »
    Sorry , I just need to get this straight in my head .... you consider the photos in Jacobytes thread , mindless vandalism ? and not art ?

Yes i do, we are all entitled to our opinion. I don't want limerick turned into a graffiti dump. And thats the way its heading.

Some of those pics say it all really, bins, signs, side of paddy wagon, its all public property.

If its such art why are limerick people not queueing up to pay the 'artists' to decorate their building + houses, maybe the council will pay to have king johns castle brightened up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm a little worried about this observation, in all fairness.

I mean, some of the other posters are in favour of vandalism and illegal activity.

Would you be as defensive of their right to a "different opinion" if the illegal activity involved was murder or stealing ?

Not being argumentative, btw; I can see that that analogy would make the mystery painter a vigilante, which is indeed objectionable.

But while some posters are validly objecting to vigilantism, some are condoning the murder.

What the fcuk is the relevance of the bit in bold?

EDIT:

To sum this up, a bunch of mindless jerks have decided to cover up graffiti - a lot of which had clear artistic merit - with their own ugly, mindless, beige paint-based graffiti.

I'm embarrassed at the level of thinking displayed in planning this, it's mind-boggling.

Yes i do, we are all entitled to our opinion.

100% you are entitled to your own opinion , and to voice it also .

For me , I am driving around and seeing ' vandal loves vandalette ' or 'vandal woz ere ' and it annoys me , the bridge on my way to the crescent is a disaster for black marker and however bad the design of the actual bridge the tags make it look 100 times worse .

Then I drive down by the skate park or the spot and I think it looks good and exciting and brightens up a dull area , and it brings something out in the individual that did it .

I am all for cleaning up the town but for those two areas maybe a more positive approach could have been taken , The Indie/hippie/scene kids down there already feel they are losing their space to the scumbags , this to them was just another nail .

Maybe it's me trying to stop myself getting/feeling old , maybe it's the bohemian spirit trying to break out , maybe I am trying to be 'down with the kids' ( ha .. if anyone on here knows me could they call over and tell my kids that I really was young once )

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Yes the level of art is debatable sure, but WHERE the 'art' is shouldn't even be a hint of grey. That space by the Skate Park was intended for graffiti. The mystery painters are as bad (if not worse) as the people who defaced that artistic graffiti with their own selfish tagging. The skate park was a place for people who enjoy skating and that culture.

That was their canvas, given to them by the city after years of campaigning. They were the kids who rallied year after year, who got up off of their arses to get something into their city where they could enjoy what it is they enjoy legally. Do not for a single second equate them with the stupid people around limerick who tag anything and everything so our city has to clean up after them.

The graffiti that was applied by popular graffiti artists which attracted a lot of tourism into Limerick during that big skating competition is great.

The idiots who spray up the place with that tagging bull are a disgrace.

I strongly advise people who think we are 'endorsing' any kind of illegal behaviour because of this should take a step back and realise what's actually being said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

You said you wouldn't be painting over the spot, and then later admitted to having done so??
    How about you ask here about graffiti you're not sure about and we tell you whether we think it should be removed or not??

I'd be worried that you might get painted over yourself if they spot you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yes i do, we are all entitled to our opinion.

You didn't call it opinion though. You stated it categorically. That's very different. You also called it mindless when very little that Jackobyte posted was mindless. Mindless means without thought and you don't produce paintings like those without quite a lot of thought, and that is a fact.

You might think that they should not have been painted where they were, that's your opinion and I see your point. You mightn't like the pictures no matter where they were painted that's your opinion which you are entitled to. But you can't rationally deny that a lot of thought and effort went into a lot of them and many were painted by clearly talented artists.

I think a lot of things that other people like are awful but I won't deny talent or effort just because something's not to my taste. That's ignorance rather than a difference of opinion.

• Advertisement

I've said twice artists should put their art on canvas, sell it, make €.

I've already pointed out mindless vandalism in those pictures and if you as a moderator want to call it ignorance that is your opinion.

But at least i'm not defacing PUBLIC PROPERTY!

I've already pointed out mindless vandalism in those pictures and if you as a moderator want to call it ignorance that is your opinion.

But at least i'm not defacing PUBLIC PROPERTY!
    That was their canvas!!!

That was their only designated area in Limerick!!!

Show me where is says reserved for graffiti, those pictures posted are of all areas of limerick. Not just 1 spot :)

But not all artists put their work on , or is suitable for , a traditional canvas .

I also don't think there is a tradition of telling artists to conform .

Don't get me wrong here , I see somethings that people call art and I think " money for old rope"

Show me where is says reserved for graffiti, those pictures posted are of all areas of limerick. Not just 1 spot :)

And just incase anyone thinks i'm against skateboarders i'm not, nothing against 'artists' either.

Limerick is turning into a graffiti dump. And that is only my humble opinion.

Well "Just writing my name" was the name of the competition that was held here. It's an international event and they only use the walls as given to them by the local responsibilities which in this case would be the council right?

I only care about this one spot as it was the only spot allowed for it yet was almost the first to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

You can't call something mindless when it clearly hasn't been done mindlessly and try to qualify that as opinion. That's not what the word opinion means.

Opinion is a subjective interpretation of facts but not everything is open to subjection. Some things either are or aren't. A dog is a dog, it can't be a cat in your opinion. If you insist a dog is a cat and claim it's your opinion and that makes it valid then you are being wilfully ignorant, not voicing an opinion. You can say that the pictures Jackobyte posted are, in your opinion, vandalism. But you can't call them mindless, because mindless has a meaning and that meaning no circumstances correlates with the obvious thought that was put into many of those paintings.

You are also ignorant of what it means to be a moderator. The fact that I moderate the Weddings, Marriage & Civil Partnership forum has nothing to do with anything that happens on any other forum.

Sticks & stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Who called you names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well the Limerick Graffiti wall was a legal place for graffiti art. It is a private yard that was used for one of the graffitti competitions, has a wall/fencing around it and a locked gate, yet the painters who claim to be out to get rid of tagging went in there and covered up the majority of what was on the walls.

Was talking to someone who works with a local paper earlier and according to that person it seems the owner has been contacted with regards to the painters, and it would seem that they had no permission to be on the property and no permission to paint over the graffiti that was there with permission, so it looks like there may be action taking against the painters once they get found.

Below is it's location, it is right in front of Atlas aluminum.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=52.6553982&lon=-8.6510146&z=17&l=0&m=b

I am in total agreement about the scummy tagging and the like that is rife pretty much in every part of Limerick though. I would love to see either the guys caught for it out in oranage jumpsuits having to scrub down the tagging or for any convicted criminal who gets community service to be out scrubbing walls, hell instead of having suspended sentences, get the criminals who normally walk free that way out scrubbing the walls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jackobyte very clearly pointed out which parts of that video were pictures of the spot and the skate-park. Those were the images for which he wanted feedback. The pictures he linked to on Bebo were also from a legitimate, pre-defined graffiti-art location.

How you can continue to ignore this when it has been pointed put to you ad nauseum is beyond me. Nobody is defending the vandalism in other parts of the city. Why so? Because everyone else in this thread recognises the difference between the locations and the things being done.

No poster has called you names in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So has the mystery painter told us when he is going up to Southill, Moyross and Garryowen to paint over the tagging up there? Or is it just a case of this being a couple of pussies with a grudge painting over genuine art because they see the people who painted it as easy targets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just to give my 2cents worth- Its extremely childish IMO to go painting over this stuff. The areas concerned now look a whole lot worse I can tell you. "Wanting to make the city look better"...Bullshít. If you really want to do something useful go peel the chewing gum off Cruises street or pick up rubbish or scrub the footpaths. I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of Limerick's population has no issue with this graffiti except for busybodies like you.

whoever posts a pic of these guys in action wins the thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 misterypainter

Once again:

1: If you are not from the council, then what authority have you to paint over property that does not belong to you?

2: I wonder if misterypainter and his chums would be brave enough to paint over the "C-IRA" graffiti in places like Garryowen or Caledonians Park...

Why would ye bother when ye've destroyed those sites already?

I'm expecting straight answers to each of those three questions.

I would also advise you to reply directly to the posts above by jonski and by Colm! as soon as you get the chance.

I know we often joke about this city needing its own Dark Knight or Kick-Ass, but this forum is not intended to be a soap-box for vigilantes. If I'm not satisfied with your next contributions, don't expect to be allowed to remain active here.

Hi IO,

We painted over some of th C-IRA graffiti that you have mentioned in the above in Garryowen, there is some larger letters that have almost faded so we will try to futher remove with the sandblaster when we have it up and running, the smaller C-IRA stuff we painted over, we also painted over some of the tagging in Garryowen. We are not hell bent on strictly the dock rd. as per the lsit previously posted.

We are trying to stop the continous tagging of the city which is causing most problems inb the city and is much worse than political spraying.

I think we have as much authority as those who are graffiti-ing and tagging in the first place so puts us on an even keal.

We would just like to clarify one point that the owner of the spot on the dock rd has never givin permission for anyone to graffiti or paint on the spot.

The spot is currently for lease or sale, is 0.85 acres in size and is available for approx €15k annual rent. There is a pad lock on the gate and there is no insurance for any unauthorised use of the yard.

If someone would like to provide some evidence on this point that permission was given before for the graffiti festival and permission is still there, it would be insteresting to see.

With regards colms point of the people seeing what were doing as a negative effect to them I accept but how about all the negative effect that the tagging and graffiti has in the city. Why did the city centre, new business and the suburbs have to be tagged and defaced??

There has been clean up inititatives spear headed by the council and business groups previous to this, all have which failed in tackling the contastant graffiti and tagging which would eventually have a huge negative effect on the look of the city for people visiting and even locals coming to town.

Edit; just reading few more of the many posts, no genuine grafitti art is going to be painted over, only that of which has been tagged as vandalism.

Best Regards

Mp

c-IRA is NOT political spraying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think we have as much authority as those who are graffiti-ing and tagging in the first place so puts us on an even keal.
    But that means you have no authority to do it.
    no genuine grafitti art is going to be painted over, only that of which has been tagged as vandalism.
    And who will decide which is which? By the sounds of it, some of what you've painted over has clearly been viewed as 'genuine graffiti art' by other posters on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Why did the city centre, new business and the suburbs have to be tagged and defaced??
    The spot on the Dock Rd doesn't fit any of this criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Does anyone else find it completely creepy the way "mister y painter" :pac: posts: "we" this and "we" that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Does anyone else find it completely creepy the way "mister y painter" :pac: posts: "we" this and "we" that.

Whats your suspicion Daisy?

Communists?

- Hmmm, possibly it is so......

How many?

200,000 eh?

You sure?

Hmmmm.

What should we do?

Yes.

Ahem, ya.

Oh.

Really?

Oh.

I see.

Hmmmmmmm.

Ah.

Gack!

Woe!

Run, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement