Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick graffiti cover up mystery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Who called you names?

I was called ignorant twice for having my opinion. Same as name calling i say.

When i mentioned 'mindless vandals' that is what i think about SOME of the pictures shown.

I did not call anyone ignorant for supporting graffiti. But because i'm not supporting it i'm ignorant. ;) limerick public property we can all have an opinion.

As for limerick graffiti festival wasn't that done on removable fixtures.

Anyway i'm going for a pint! Hope i don't get graffitied on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I think you've missed the meaning of the word ignorant. You could say that you are ignorant of the meaning of ignorant. oh the delicious irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

double-facepalm%5B1%5D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AgBaintTriail

Any support is appreciated and for more info face book

limerickagainstgraffiti

Hey is that fb page private? Not much on it like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

zuroph wrote: »
    I think you've missed the meaning of the word ignorant. You could say that you are ignorant of the meaning of ignorant. oh the delicious irony.

Ignorant = state of being uninformed.

Or the most overused word on the internet.

3 times now.

• Advertisement

uninformed on a specific issue. its not an insult, or name calling, its saying you don't know something specific. Like when you commented on iguana being a mod, he's not, he's a mod of a different forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 arpeggiator

I think this group, of which Mistery Painter is a part, are realizing that what they did was wrong... they have a facebook group where young artists whose work was destroyed have written to them, and their posts have become more defensive than the triumphalism that you see on this thread, although not nearly enough. What they did was not only illegal, they destroyed something that meant something in people's lives, something that they put their talent and energy and insight into. This is a kind of anti-culture, it's like book burning, usually part of the kinds of movements of people so angry and lonely and inarticulate that all they can do to feel heard is to destroy the creations of others.
    There are going to be legal consequences for them, and the mayor and the council have made complaints to the gardai (in the Post) but the art is destroyed, some of it art that was produced by internationally renowned artists, a lot of it by local people who had two small spaces to express themselves visually in an entire city of boring, uninspired billboards, advertisements, ****e tax break hotels and grey apartment blocks. I don't think Mistery Painter and his group are capable of understanding the damage they've done. All people can do in response now is go out and write, and try to create something new.. (even if it's just basic tagging, it would be a million times better than patchy, cheap magnolia.)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001159315012&ref=search#!/profile.php?id=100001159315012&v=wall&ref=search

I've worked out who it is..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Before anyone else says it:
    I don't think Mistery Painter and his group are capable of understanding the damage they've done. All people can do in response now is go out and write, and try to create something new.. (even if it's just basic tagging, it would be a million times better than patchy, cheap magnolia.)

Arpeggiator, please do not encourage illegal activity on this forum. If you have an issue with particular posts, use the report post function (this button: report.gif)

I truly wish you and all the other artists the best of luck in securing the justice your work deserves.

As I said last night, this forum is not for vigilantes to use for publicising ill-advised and illegal campaigns. As such, I have banned misterypainter for one month, or until the people behind that account can justify their being here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

jonski wrote: »
    But not all artists put their work on , or is suitable for , a traditional canvas .

I also don't think there is a tradition of telling artists to conform .

Don't get me wrong here , I see somethings that people call art and I think " money for old rope"

how about using their own canvas then...?

{as opposed to property that doesn't belong to them,be it public,private,personal,business}

• Advertisement

thebullkf wrote: »
    how about using their own canvas then...?

{as opposed to property that doesn't belong to them,be it public,private,personal,business}

the debate here is about the graffiti at the skatepark and at the spot where they were allowed paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

sorry,was talking in context to what munstergirl said,
    ie. maybe they should put their stuff on sellable material,make a few €€€'s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cp9a

It's only a matter of time that the mistery painter and his gang get followed home and get their house covered in Art.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So still no reply regarding when they are going up to Southill or Moyross to paint over the tagging. Typical really! They are picking on people who they assume wont fight back, they know full well that they would be spotted doing it in the places i mentioned and would go running back to mommy and daddys living room to rant about it on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

We would just like to clarify one point that the owner of the spot on the dock rd has never givin permission for anyone to graffiti or paint on the spot.

You do realise that includes yourself right? The colour of the paint used matters not. You painted an area without permission and defaced both public and private property.
    The Rugby mural on the wall of the dock road had no tagging whatsoever on it before it was painted.

Also you have to realise, a tag takes seconds. Murals take hours.
    Most city councils and equivalents around the world use vandal proof paint to cover up heavily tagged areas. While you think using the dark grey paint will prevent taggers, it will not, they will simply use white. Believe me, that will stand out on your covered walls far more than before.

Unless you intend to invest in said vandal resistant paint and gain the permission of the council then I would recommend halting your work immediately. Now that you have made it clear that you are a vigilante group and that the council themselves have spoken against you, then all it would take from one person spotting you is a call to the Gardai.

Take a step back, offer your services to the council, let them direct you where to cover and where to leave alone. If they refuse then protest outside the office at the graffiti in the city, but you have absolutely no right whatsoever to be taking the action that you currently are.

cp9a wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time that the mistery painter and his gang get followed home and get their house covered in Art.

This doesnt help, the people doing the work appear to be contractors. This is another dangerous area that the anti-graffiti crowd are entering. They have made a good few people angry and yet hire others to do their work. Can you vouch for the safety of your hired employees if some of the kids take offense and act physically?

I am willing to bet none of this was actually thought of when you started misterypainter, while it probably seemed like a good idea at the time and maybe after some discussion it might seem like the public would back you, this may very well come back to bite you and your group very hard in the ass.

I applaud your rubbish collecting, but I really dont like the above the law attitude.
    Limerick is in its situation because of lax attention to law, bringing yourself down to that same level is not ok.

Also in regards to this photo 33416_113066672075309_100001159315012_78887_874678_n.jpg

I would suggest finding out the details of the owner and using some of those funds you have to have it remuraled by the Skate park kids - maybe hold an art competition to see who gets to do it. This would both gain you public support and brighten up that incredibly drab paint.

Ha! I just noticed something. Flannerys Bar is a friend of the Limerick against Graffiti crowd.

Guess he really was unhappy that his face wasnt up there :D

I kid, I kiiiid.

its not hard to work out who it is from the facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

its not hard to work out who it is from the facebook page.

any hints, please?

• Advertisement

ah i better not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I don't agree with what misterypainter has done, they have no right to cover over this art. Howeever, I do need to correct some of you. The murals of the rugby players outside the spot was tagged before it was painted over.

31639_105246939523949_100001159315012_45191_1524683_n.jpg

It must have been done only just before the cover. I never saw those additions.

I withdraw my statement.

ah i better not ;)

It is fairly obvious. He even says his name in a reply and there is only one friend with the same name. Plus another friend with the same last name posts a lot in defense.
    I dont think secrecy is their intent to be fair.

Even so, I am redirecting my annoyance to whoever defaced that rugby mural. While it isnt as bad as beige paint, its pretty ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 arpeggiator

Before anyone else says it:

Arpeggiator, please do not encourage illegal activity on this forum.
    --
    I truly wish you and all the other artists the best of luck in securing the justice your work deserves.
    --
    Oh no I'm sorry IO that's really not what I meant, and I'm not a graffiti artist so i wouldn't like people to think I'm speaking for them. I was under the impression that the skate park (including the outside walls?) and spot are now legal graffiti zones, and so covering paint with new art wouldn't be illegal. But the real point I was trying to make was that when someone destroys or denigrates art and culture, that rather than engaging with them or getting lost in anger or hatred you have to just keep re-creating and making it new.
    Anyway.. I'd agree with you in hoping the artists get justice for what's happened, which has saddened many people living in the city to whom the art meant something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    I don't agree with what misterypainter has done, they have no right to cover over this art. Howeever, I do need to correct some of you. The murals of the rugby players outside the spot was tagged before it was painted over.

Thanks for the above.

I find it very, very hard to get upset over the painting over of painted over surfaces which had originally been done mainly for kicks by Kids - The main "kick" and stimulus being that it was a forbidden practice and thus edgy and "cool"......

- How many Graffiti sites Nationwide or further afield are protected and defended by the public at large in the event of being routinely painted over?

Its not the fcuking Tate Gallery, its Kids with cans of Dutch Gold and Cans of spray Paint - Lets keep some perspective here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Raiser wrote: »
    - How many Graffiti sites Nationwide or further afield are protected and defended by the public at large in the event of being routinely painted over?

Its not the fcuking Tate Gallery, its Kids with cans of Dutch Gold and Cans of spray Paint - Lets keep some perspective here.

Plenty. It's very highly regarded in London. Large areas of London are set aside by councils for genuine street art. There are even council run street art festivals in many boroughs.

And interesting that you should mention the Tate as they do in fact celebrate street art and hold festivals in it's honour. Two years ago they invited a number of street artists to do large graffiti murals on the outside of the gallery building. Held an exhibition of photos of street art in the gallery and ran guided walking tours of popular street art sites around London.

4800334114_4bb50a271b_b.jpg

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/streetart/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I was called ignorant twice for having my opinion.
    Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (wiki)

You are denying that thought is put into the pieces I have linked to. Therefore, you are uninformed. These could not be done without thought. Therefore, calling you ignorant is a denotation and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Azphyxi8 wrote: »

31639_105246939523949_100001159315012_45191_1524683_n.jpg

Now lets see how many people condemn the idiots that did THAT defacing......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Now lets see how many people condemn the idiots that did THAT defacing......

I would hope most people would .

I just think that if the Mystery painter had approached someone in the art college or Pat Shorts brother and said " heh listen , we want to cover up the rubbish the was put over the rugby mural , any chance ye would come down and do something there , or even re do the 2 lads "

I think they would have atleast kept most of the people onside .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement