Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick graffiti cover up mystery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Now lets see how many people condemn the idiots that did THAT defacing......

I did the second I saw it. still doesnt explain the need to paint over the inside of the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    I don't agree with what misterypainter has done, they have no right to cover over this art. Howeever, I do need to correct some of you. The murals of the rugby players outside the spot was tagged before it was painted over.

31639_105246939523949_100001159315012_45191_1524683_n.jpg

They only got tagged after the grafitti in the yard behind it was covered, not before it, and if anyone passes that way today, take a look at the yard, it is now a total eyesore as the paint was badly put on and everything it was put over is starting to show through the paint, and it looks far worse than before the paint job.

Hi IO,

We painted over some of th C-IRA graffiti that you have mentioned in the above in Garryowen, there is some larger letters that have almost faded so we will try to futher remove with the sandblaster when we have it up and running, the smaller C-IRA stuff we painted over, we also painted over some of the tagging in Garryowen. We are not hell bent on strictly the dock rd. as per the lsit previously posted.

We are trying to stop the continous tagging of the city which is causing most problems inb the city and is much worse than political spraying.

I think we have as much authority as those who are graffiti-ing and tagging in the first place so puts us on an even keal.

We would just like to clarify one point that the owner of the spot on the dock rd has never givin permission for anyone to graffiti or paint on the spot.
    The spot is currently for lease or sale, is 0.85 acres in size and is available for approx €15k annual rent. There is a pad lock on the gate and there is no insurance for any unauthorised use of the yard.

If someone would like to provide some evidence on this point that permission was given before for the graffiti festival and permission is still there, it would be insteresting to see.

With regards colms point of the people seeing what were doing as a negative effect to them I accept but how about all the negative effect that the tagging and graffiti has in the city. Why did the city centre, new business and the suburbs have to be tagged and defaced??

There has been clean up inititatives spear headed by the council and business groups previous to this, all have which failed in tackling the contastant graffiti and tagging which would eventually have a huge negative effect on the look of the city for people visiting and even locals coming to town.

Edit; just reading few more of the many posts, no genuine grafitti art is going to be painted over, only that of which has been tagged as vandalism.

Best Regards

Mp

Best of luck with that one, seeing as the painters broke the law by entering that yard and now it seems that the Mayor of the city has become vocal against the illegal actions of the painters and the people funding them. The city council have also now spoken out against the paining of that yard and the illegal painting of the skatepark and the painting open of the plaque in that area. And there is also the small matter of the painters who pretended they worked for the City Council when asked by members of the public about what they were doing, seems it is illegal to impersonate a local authority in order to do illegal works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

There was a murial of Paul O'Connell & Peter Stringer where we painted, we didn't paint over it, it was destroyed by tagging and graffiti.

Didn't Hilda Ogden have one of these in her kitchen ?:)
    Misterypainter, If you really want to be taken seriously by the "pedantic minority" (3 new members in the past 5 years !!! ), turn on your spell-checker.

Then go back and edit every post you made on this thread.:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

iguana wrote: »
    Plenty. It's very highly regarded in London. Large areas of London are set aside by councils for genuine street art. There are even council run street art festivals in many boroughs.

And interesting that you should mention the Tate as they do in fact celebrate street art and hold festivals in it's honour. Two years ago they invited a number of street artists to do large graffiti murals on the outside of the gallery building. Held an exhibition of photos of street art in the gallery and ran guided walking tours of popular street art sites around London.

4800334114_4bb50a271b_b.jpg

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/streetart/

eh...Limerick ain't London....

and that rubbish Graffiti ain't Banksy..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

thebullkf wrote: »

Why shouldn't we as a city aspire to emulate the positive qualities of London? I know there's plenty of things wrong with London too, but being negative about Limerick just because it's a smaller city is silly.

Also, just to remind you all, misterypainter has been banned for a month. As such, they cannot respond to your questions and comments.

Why shouldn't we as a city aspire to emulate the positive qualities of London? I know there's plenty of things wrong with London too, but being negative about Limerick just because it's a smaller city is silly.

Also, just to remind you all, misterypainter has been banned for a month. As such, they cannot respond to your questions and comments.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Why London???
    Because it has some nice graffiti???
    Why not New york???Sydney???Toronto???Baghdad??Seoul???
    Nonsense post.
    2 incomparable cities for far too many reasons to say.

If a mod has banned him for a month (??????) why not close the thread??
    It has turned into a mysterypainter bashing thread anyway.

gihj wrote: »
    Why London???
    Nonsense post.

If a mod has banned him for a month (??????) why not close the thread??
    It has turned into a mysterypainter bashing thread anyway.

no it hasnt, people are still discussing whether graffiti should be removed or not.

zuroph wrote: »
    no it hasnt, people are still discussing whether graffiti should be removed or not.

Ah it's going nowhere.
    A quick read over the last few pages gives it a bit of perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why London???

Because:
    Raiser wrote: »
    Its not the fcuking Tate Gallery, its Kids with cans of Dutch Gold and Cans of spray Paint - Lets keep some perspective here.

Plenty. It's very highly regarded in London. Large areas of London are set aside by councils for genuine street art. There are even council run street art festivals in many boroughs.

And interesting that you should mention the Tate as they do in fact celebrate street art and hold festivals in it's honour. Two years ago they invited a number of street artists to do large graffiti murals on the outside of the gallery building. Held an exhibition of photos of street art in the gallery and ran guided walking tours of popular street art sites around London.

4800334114_4bb50a271b_b.jpg

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/streetart/

Did you even bother to read the thread? The moderators will decide when threads need to be locked, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Why London???
    Nonsense post.

But lots of cities celebrate street art.
    Blu from Bologna, Italy; the artist collective Faile from New York, USA; JR from Paris, France; Nunca and Os Gêmeos, both from São Paulo, Brazil and Sixeart from Barcelona, Spain.

You can also take the Street Art Walking Tour: an urban tour of site-specific art from a group of five Madrid-based street artists: 3TTMan, Spok, Nano 4814, El Tono and Nuria – a map is available online and in the gallery.

Various events will take place during the exhibition, including an interactive evening with experimental New York artists Graffiti Research Lab, refacing Tate Modern with graffiti light projections.

Because:

Did you even bother to read the thread? The moderators will decide when threads need to be locked, thanks.

So you think this city should try to emulate the positive qualities of London??
    That's a ridiculous statement to make on the strength of some graffiti on the outside of a building.

Have you bothered to research either city??????

Congratulations on becoming a mod once again.
    Nice to see you've settled in so fast.

But lots of cities celebrate street art.

True and i'm all for it if it's tasteful.
    However the majority of that "art" pictured on this thread (and particularly the walls of the shop) is disgusting and looks filthy.

The paint job is a little drab yes (suits the cities weather) but gives the city a better image than the previous rubbish that was on it.

However the majority of that "art" pictured on this thread (and particularly the walls of the shop) is disgusting and looks filthy.

The paint job is a little drab yes (suits the cities weather) but gives the city a better image than the previous rubbish that was on it.

not one person on this thread has defended the taggers, and thats not in debate, its the pieces that were done by international artists being painted over.

not one person on this thread has defended the taggers, and thats not in debate, its the pieces that were done by international artists being painted over.

Graffiti,tagging, call it what you like but anyone with a reasonable amount of pride in their city will have to agree that shop looks much better with the drab paint job than the random filth that covered it previously.

Morons should be lynched for covering over the murals in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I started this thread to say well done to mystery painter.

No other reason. :)

Graffiti,tagging, call it what you like but anyone with a reasonable amount of pride in their city will have to agree that shop looks much better with the drab paint job than the random filth that covered it previously.

Morons should be lynched for covering over the murals in the first place.

The graffiti over the rugby players seems to have been done in response to the painters going into the yard first and destroying the stuff on the walls in there first.

Look back at the pic where the graffiti is over the rugby art and you will see the hash of a job inside the yard with the cream paint already over the stuff in there.

First move was by the painters, not those who destroyed the rugby art.

In my eyes both sides are in the wrong in the case of the rugby art. The fools who did the painting over the inside walls, plus the money behind them, and the fools who decided to hit back by ruining the rugby stuff with crap.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The graffiti over the rugby players seems to have been done in response to the painters going into the yard first and destroying the stuff on the walls in there first.

Look back at the pic where the graffiti is over the rugby art and you will see the hash of a job inside the yard with the cream paint already over the stuff in there.

First move was by the painters, not those who destroyed the rugby art.

In my eyes both sides are in the wrong in the case of the rugby art. The fools who did the painting over the inside walls, plus the money behind them, and the fools who decided to hit back by ruining the rugby stuff with crap.

nope, I think the mural was tagged before the painters came along IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I think you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Brilliant statement, shows exactly the kind of small town mentality you're dealing with here.

You probably wouldn't know art if it fell on you.

+1

keane2097 wrote: »
    Brilliant statement, shows exactly the kind of small town mentality you're dealing with here.

You probably wouldn't know art if it fell on you.

a lot of presumptions there...

unless you'vea positive comment to add i suggest you STFU.

also you forgot to include my 'statement' in full

i dunno what your problem is but please don't make snide remarks.

it mars your point.

The photos taken of the area before and after the yard was painted says otherwise.

The walls of the yard were painted and the Limerick post had a picture of the yard painted with the Rugby faces on show outside with nothing on them.

Then in a picture in this thread there is a picture of the walls painted in the yard with the rugby faces tagged over.

The one thing both pics have in common is the walls with the art being covered with the beige paint. So the wall painting inside the yard had to have come first, otherwise the two pics could not have had any differences.

The photos taken of the area before and after the yard was painted says otherwise.

The walls of the yard were painted and the Limerick post had a picture of the yard painted with the Rugby faces on show outside with nothing on them.

Then in a picture in this thread there is a picture of the walls painted in the yard with the rugby faces tagged over.

The one thing both pics have in common is the walls with the art being covered with the beige paint. So the wall painting inside the yard had to have come first, otherwise the two pics could not have had any differences.

the photo was taken BY the painters AFAIK as a before and after for the painting OUTSIDE the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The work on the building site backing onto Henry Street has been covered in grey paint - I wonder did the persons responsible get permission to be on a site???

the photo was taken BY the painters AFAIK as a before and after for the painting OUTSIDE the spot.

I said the picture in the paper had a shot with the yard painted in the beige paint that showed the rugby pics perfect.

So if the paper was able to get a picture with the yard walls painted and the rugby picture ok, then the rugby pictures had to be defaced after the walls were done.

concussion wrote: »
    The work on the building site backing onto Henry Street has been covered in grey paint - I wonder did the persons responsible get permission to be on a site???

Sure why should they? They seem to think that painting illegally on walls only applies to kids tagging.

When are they coming back to clean up the mess they made of the underpasses on the motorway? It's ridiculous..

• Advertisement

Sure why should they? They seem to think that painting illegally on walls only applies to kids tagging.

they seem to have stopped posting on facebook also. given up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement