Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap OEM software site, legit?

• 08-07-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

I guess this is perhaps a case of "If it sounds too good to be true, then it is too good to be true".

Anyway, http://idealprice-software.com has an awful lot of software at interesting prices. Their address appears to be in NY.

Interestingly they do have the adobe, microsoft logos temporarily on the page. Which I would assume that any legit site would have these as a permanent fixture.

They state their pricing is because you don't get a disk, box, manual etc! You simply download a zipped file! Also, they state there is "no need to register" the products as they have done so already!

Ok, am I answering my own question here?!? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

py2006 wrote: »
    I guess this is perhaps a case of "If it sounds too good to be true, then it is too good to be true".

Anyway, http://idealprice-software.com has an awful lot of software at interesting prices. Their address appears to be in NY.

Interestingly they do have the adobe, microsoft logos temporarily on the page. Which I would assume that any legit site would have these as a permanent fixture.

They state their pricing is because you don't get a disk, box, manual etc! You simply download a zipped file! Also, they state there is "no need to register" the products as they have done so already!

Ok, am I answering my own question here?!? :confused:

The site's only a week old. And no legit company sells pre-registered software as .zip's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

OEM software is supposed to be bundled with hardware. If it isn't, then something's up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

OEM software is supposed to be bundled with hardware. If it isn't, then something's up.

Not necessarily! You can purchase OEM Windows from legitimate dealers on its own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That site has warez written all over it. You'd be better off just downloading the software through torrents because I'd say thats what they would be selling you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FunkDrummer

yeah, a woman I used to work with was using a crack copy of Office 2003 because she didn't want to learn how to use Office 2007 at the time.

The crack she installed was causing all sorts of hassle with the machine so she went online one weekend and BOUGHT a copy of Microsoft Office 2003 that came in a .zip folder

The contents of the zip folder were identical to the contents of the cd she used initially to install the crack (including the text file with the licence in it)

Same crappy software, only now she was minus 70 bucks.

steer clear!

• Advertisement

Not necessarily! You can purchase OEM Windows from legitimate dealers on its own!
    You shouldn't be able to according to the licence agreement. OEM software is supposed to be tied to hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

You shouldn't be able to according to the licence agreement. OEM software is supposed to be tied to hardware.

Ah ok, I thought once you installed it that it was tied to that hardware.

Ah ok, I thought once you installed it that it was tied to that hardware.
    That would be valid perspective. The only problem is that the support for the OEM software is supposed to be provided by the hardware manufacturer.

I bought a Hitachi hard disk years ago with a copy of XP Pro. The etailer is a well known, UK based one. Imagine the fun if I'd called Hitachi looking for Windows support. :)

Advertisement