Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do snails have a head for heights? (or chives?)

Options
  • 08-07-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

With all the wet weather of the last week, I've followed the advice here and started slug-hunting at dusk. Obviously when it's wet they're out in force.

I've a small front garden patch which is planted with some lillies, lavender, violas, rosemary, thyme and a clump of chives.

When I went out the other night, I plucked about 9 snails off the chives. Now, I'd don't know if it's because
    1. snails love chives
    2. the chives are quite high up(?)
    3. the withered chive heads look rather snail-shell like (maybe they thought they'd get lucky)
    4. it was just a coincidence.

any thoughts?

Oh and should I dead head my chives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrs. Delany

I deadheaded (aka picked) my chives a couple of weeks back, stuck them in a waterless vase as they still looked fairly pretty and have now collected an envelope of chive seeds.
    Not much sign of new growth on the chive clump yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrs. Delany

But I've noticed a good few snails in there too though so am guessing they're reasonably appealing to them. Were the smallish cream/black striped shell ones if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Yes, I'm not unconvinced that it's to get to the tall lilly flowers which seem to be very appealing to them.

Advertisement