Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a hybrid suitable for light off roading?

• 08-07-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi

I was looking at purchasing a hybrid as I will will be doing some on road cycling for fitness but would like to do some light off roading too, like on forestery roads as opposed to tracks.
    I was advised that a hybrid like a Trek 7300 or a Giant Roam 2 with lockable front suspension would be sufficient but then I was advised by another that I would need hydraulic disk brakes for off roading which you don't get on a hybrid and so would be better off with a mountain bike and put road wheels on it and change the TYRES for off roading?

What would you recommend, Thanks in advance

Kenpokicks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I reckon you probably could. You don't need disc brakes for light off roading, that's salesman talk. Obviously discs are better but I used a mountain bike with v brakes (I think) on my first trip out and aside from the odd bit of mud collection they were strong enough for my slow speed.

Just don't go taking it off any jumps and maybe buy some more MTB tyres for it, if anything it might save your wheels.

The MTB experts will be able to better advise you, but as long as you are talking about fire roads then I can't see it being too bad.

How tall are you? What size bike you looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can certainly cycle a hybrid on fireroads, will not be a problem. If you want to do singletrack (which is the fun bit) then realistically you do need a mountain bike.

For your intended use primarily on road I think a hybrid with lockable front shocks like the ones you mention would be a good choice.

You don't need disc brakes. Yes they are better off road but for fireroads not really necessary. Mountain bikers actually survived for years without the things and up until very recently you still found V brakes in use at high level cross country for the weight savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Anyway, you can get Hybrids with disc brakes. Ive got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Kenpokicks – your style of cycling is like mine. I tested out a Giant Roam, it’s a nice bike. I don’t know how I survived without remote suspension lock out. Changing tyres is easy. Both the wheels pop off and you can change the tyres pretty quickly. If you are just doing trails and not off roading you can go for a larger size that you would normally would with a mountain bike that does off-roading. This size will allow you do long distances on the road.
    You don’t need disc breaks. They are nice to have, but not essential. I’d go for the remote lock out suspension before I’d get disc breaks. That said in the lashing rain, disc brakes are the business on the road.
    The Giant Roam would be a great all rounder. I saw a Specialized with a similar spec/price. I think it was the Rock Shox suspension that I was drawn to, but the Suntour (I think it was Suntour) suspension on the Giant is fine. I’m happy with it. You can always upgrade bit and pieces in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Difficult though it may be to believe in this age of softness, mountain bikes once had no suspension at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Lumen wrote: »
    Difficult though it may be to believe in this age of softness, mountain bikes once had no suspension at all.

I was on my 15 year old moutain bike the other day. It brought back sweet memories, but they were shuddered away when I decided to bounce off the kerb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Lumen wrote: »
    It's a reasonable consideration, I think you could do without suspension entirely for your intended use. Suspension is a big negative on the road even with lockout (lockout is not 100% compared to a rigid fork, and it adds a lot of weight.) I would certainly do fireroads and rougher with my cross bike which has a rigid fork. Depends on how much you think you would be using it on fireroads; suspension is certainly nice to have off road but if you are going to be 90% on the road I would do without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kenpokicks

Thanks for all the advice guys.
    DirkVoodoo- I'm just shy of 6ft so a I think a size large frame, can't remember what that equates to in inches?
    Madrabui- Glad to hear about the Giant as that is the one I was most drawn to with it's chunky frame but the Trek I was looking at for similar money had a higher spec gear set up. Choices, choices.
    Blorg- I think for the moment anyway I'll be mostly on fire roads so as you said the hybrid should do the trick.

Indeed Mountain Bikes once had no suspension and v brakes as standard. I biked down the "Worlds most dangerous road" in Bolivia a few years ago. Was packpacking at the time and didn't have much money so I went for a low spec bike as mentioned above and I managed ( didn't die anyway ).

Thanks again
    Kenpokicks

Advertisement