Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

America takes over as Britain pulls out

• 08-07-2010 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

The British Army has to withdraw from the Sangin district of northern Helmand province to be replaced by the USA. The British have suffered 100 fatalities in the area. I listened to BBC4 and was sickened by the delusional content of the broadcast. British generals and reporters queued up to describe the fantastic work the Brits had done in 'progressing' Sangin, how the arriving Americans had some good foundations to 'build on' and how the British Army would always have a sentimental attachment to Sangin, etc, etc
    Sounds like the " Dunkirk spirit " BS to me.

So they have to leave it to the real heavyweight to take over while the " most professional army in the world " has to abandon ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/10533771.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The British Army has to withdraw from the Sangin district of northern Helmand province to be replaced by the USA. The British have suffered 100 fatalities in the area. I listened to BBC4 and was sickened by the delusional content of the broadcast. British generals and reporters queued up to describe the fantastic work the Brits had done in 'progressing' Sangin, how the arriving Americans had some good foundations to 'build on' and how the British Army would always have a sentimental attachment to Sangin, etc, etc

So they have to leave it to the real heavyweight to take over while the " most professional army in the world " has to abandon ?

Have you some kind of beef against the british army? Because its quite normal for units to move due to changes in strategy and tactics. Seems like more is being made of this than is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Here's a good idea. if you're such a ****ing hero, why don't you piss off to Sangin and show us how to do it eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

supersportq R E A D the article again. Nicely put Fred, I'd have been banned by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

When I saw the thread title I actually thought it was going to be a serious discussion for a second . . .

So on a serious note I think it makes tactical sense to consolidate all British forces together. One of the biggest mistakes I think they made was to spread their forces so thinly across the platoon houses, a fact which has finally been acknowledged this year by politicians and senior military figures alike. The truth is it will seem like some sort of retreat outside of those who understand military strategy but it's more realignment. Still I'd imagine it will hurt all those who lost friends or limbs quite a bit having put so much into the place.

I think the bigger thing that needs to be realised is that the British only have 10,000 soldiers in Afghanistan in the first place. Given the type of war that ISAF is trying to fight there (counterinsurgency) that really isn't a huge force. When you think there are 20,000+ US troops in Helmand alone you have to recognise the limitations of your forces and I think that's what this finally is. The British don't have the manpower or the equipment that the Americans do and they at last seem to acknowledge that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 supersportq

Have you some kind of beef against the british army? Because its quite normal for units to move due to changes in strategy and tactics. Seems like more is being made of this than is necessary.

See piby's quote below. Once again the British have overestimated their ability. They go in claiming about their professionalism and experience etc and get invovled in a situation they do not have the hardware or manpower to cope with. And the US of A has to try and clean up the mess of course.
    piby wrote: »
    The British don't have the manpower or the equipment that the Americans do and they at last seem to acknowledge that!

• Advertisement

Here's a good idea. if you're such a ****ing hero, why don't you piss off to Sangin and show us how to do it eh?
    The Americans are already doing that, no need for me to go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

See piby's quote below. Once again the British have overestimated their ability. They go in claiming about their professionalism and experience etc and get invovled in a situation they do not have the hardware or manpower to cope with. And the US of A has to try and clean up the mess of course.

Seems like your man motivation seems to be jealousy, do you recon you could run around in 50degrees with 50kg of kit 10 hours a day on patrol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Bulls**t. Based on this and your comments on the SAS thread you seem to be a typical shinner who hates the british army. This is the military forum and most people tend to use objectivity here not bias and hatred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

Typical sinn fein/ira crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

IMHO, what is happening is the British forces are being relieved thanks to the huge influx of US troops. This just demonstrates once again how much europe depends on the US because in reality, the other members of ISAF/NATO should be stepping up to the mark and putting in more troops.

I'm looking at you Germany and France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

And you'll be waiting..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

what age are you?... 10?:rolleyes:

IMHO, what is happening is the British forces are being relieved thanks to the huge influx of US troops. This just demonstrates once again how much europe depends on the US because in reality, the other members of ISAF/NATO should be stepping up to the mark and putting in more troops.

I'm looking at you Germany and France.
    Oh yes, it's everyone's fault except Britain when they f**k up as usual :rolleyes: Appearently the British MOD is organising briefings for newspaper editors so they don't use 'irresponsible language'. Didn't they withdraw from there around 1879 as well ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

Oh yes, it's everyone's fault except Britain when they f**k up as usual :rolleyes: Appearently the British MOD is organising briefings for newspaper editors so they don't use 'irresponsible language'. Didn't they withdraw from there around 1879 as well ?

Dont keep making accusations and running away, in what way did the Brits "f*** up"?

Helmand is the most dangerous province of Afghanistan and Sangin its most dangerous district, the British have lost 100 dead in three yrs there.

On their last tour the 3 Rifles(around 550 men), lost around 28 men and 1 in 3 were wounded, its extremely annoying when big men like yourself come on slagging off those outhere.

The US Marines are now going to give it a crack, with more then double the numbers and alot more helos, good luck to them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1259964/If-think-3-Rifles-heroes-Afghanistan-brave-meet-families.html

One band of Riflemen - A Company's 2nd Platoon - arrived in Sangin with 27 men last October. Of that original number, just 11 are still there. In the first week of this month alone, six Riflemen gave their lives for Queen and country

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1259964/If-think-3-Rifles-heroes-Afghanistan-brave-meet-families.html#ixzz0tCQ2ZQ3L

oglaigh wrote: »
    Typical sinn fein/ira crap.

Do you think the Provos and their supporters are smirking and gloating when they read of stuff like this ?
    Dont keep making accusations and running away, in what way did the Brits "f*** up"?

Helmand is the most dangerous province of Afghanistan and Sangin its most dangerous district, the British have lost 100 dead in three yrs there.

On their last tour the 3 Rifles(around 550 men), lost around 28 men and 1 in 3 were wounded, its extremely annoying when big men like yourself come on slagging off those outhere.

The US Marines are now going to give it a crack, with more then double the numbers and alot more helos, good luck to them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1259964/If-think-3-Rifles-heroes-Afghanistan-brave-meet-families.html

One band of Riflemen - A Company's 2nd Platoon - arrived in Sangin with 27 men last October. Of that original number, just 11 are still there. In the first week of this month alone, six Riflemen gave their lives for Queen and country

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1259964/If-think-3-Rifles-heroes-Afghanistan-brave-meet-families.html#ixzz0tCQ2ZQ3L
    So what your saying is that the more dead the give the better their doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I think its more of a case that the MOD has had a look at the situation and decided a change would be better off. They have tried over the last couple of years to get some sort of a grip on the sangin district and it just hasn't worked out for them. So they have decided to give the american's a crack of the whip.
    Theres nothing wrong with this at the end of the day there fighting the same battle. The American'as have far more man power than the English will ever have. But as above think its time the French or Germans through a few hats into the ring..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You do realise it is the british government and not the armed forces that are at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Glenshane Pass

I think we'll leave that to the local resistance :)

Advertisement