Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended(long)suction cup/arm for Garmin Nuvi 300

Options
  • 08-07-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

Could anyone suggest where I could get an extended/modified(longer) suction cup arm for a Garmin Nuvi 300/310? I am not the tallest person(I am a wheelchair user), and would need this to be able to operate my GPS safely while in the car?

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

You could have a look at ram-mounts which offer a 3 component system.
    These comprise of
    1) A cradle which is specific for your device
    2) A mount arm
    3) A base ( eg suction, bolt-on, handle bar)

The system is very flexible as if you have multiple devices you only have to buy a cradle for each device and use the same mount and base in the car.

I have never used ram-mounts so ppl can correct me if my explaination is incorrect.

There is a bewildering array of mount/base options so I would be surprised if there isn't something there to fit your use-case.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/GPSMounts/tabid/135/Default.aspx

Good Luck!

After digging through the site I've noticed

1) They have mounts to fit a wheel chair

2) They even have a mount that would fit into a cup-holder in your car

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065080045050057057045050085/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I use a Garmin bean bag mount, which just plops on the dash. Depending on the design of your dash, it might suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

IrlJidel wrote: »

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065080045050057057045050085/Default.aspx

Cheers. Now I'm looking for a site where I can download maps(free) for my Garmin Nuvi 300. Garmin are expensive.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I use a Garmin bean bag mount, which just plops on the dash. Depending on the design of your dash, it might suit.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Cheers. Now I'm looking for a site where I can download maps(free) for my Garmin Nuvi 300. Garmin are expensive.

You can get Openstreetmap maps from http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

koolkid wrote: »

How does that stick to the dashboard? :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its just by weight. Had one on one of the old Garmin Street Pilots & it worked very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Have a look on ebay for car mounts.

I have one of these, and it's quite a bit longer than the original one,

LINK

... or this one looks a bit longer:

LINK

I noticed a few holders that can clip onto the air vents of a car, which may be closer again.

As for the maps, you can buy a Garmin Lifetime Update, from Amazon.co.uk, for £90stg.
    This will get you every Garmin map update that ever comes out, for so long as you use the unit, or until the unit ceases to work. If you only use it once, it's expensive, but if you use it for 3 years, it's very cheap! The updates are done by downloading the map from the Garmin web-site, and putting them onto the GPS. Can be a bit awkward, but still easier than using Openstreetmap etc.

• Advertisement

Its just by weight. Had one on one of the old Garmin Street Pilots & it worked very well.

Is there any adhesive on it?

Is there any adhesive on it?
    No. Not on the beanbag mount.

No. Not on the beanbag mount.

Then wouldn't it slide off/around the dash?

I never had that problem with them . Unless I'm rally driving.:D

I never had that problem with them . Unless I'm rally driving.:D

LOL. To me it looks like it wouldn't be very grippy?? Unless of course, the contents of the beanbag are used as an adhesive/weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

LOL. To me it looks like it wouldn't be very grippy?? Unless of course, the contents of the beanbag are used as an adhesive/weight?

I bought one on Anan1's recommendation but was a bit dubious until I actually tried it out. It does actually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's another option here ... http://www.brodit.com/?lang=E Again it's a modular system, you buy a vehicle mount to suit your car, and the other holders affix to this. If you change your car all you have to change is the vehicle mount.

IrlJidel wrote: »

Am looking at the RAM Mount Holster item - http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045071065050049085/Default.aspx#. Are there any extended arms that would be compatible with this model? I currently drive a VW Golf and I think the dashboard would be too deep for me to reach the device if I had it attached to an ordinary mount on the windscreen?

Any more advice would be welcome.

PS: Apologies for resurrecting this thread after so long!!!!

EDIT #2: How about this mount? Would it be long enough? Would it be stable enough on a dashboard?

mrmac wrote: »
    Have a look on ebay for car mounts.

I have one of these, and it's quite a bit longer than the original one,

LINK

... or this one looks a bit longer:

LINK

I noticed a few holders that can clip onto the air vents of a car, which may be closer again.

As for the maps, you can buy a Garmin Lifetime Update, from Amazon.co.uk, for £90stg.
    This will get you every Garmin map update that ever comes out, for so long as you use the unit, or until the unit ceases to work. If you only use it once, it's expensive, but if you use it for 3 years, it's very cheap! The updates are done by downloading the map from the Garmin web-site, and putting them onto the GPS. Can be a bit awkward, but still easier than using Openstreetmap etc.

RE: the first one you suggested: Can you buy this one in the shops? Or is it only available online?

RE: the first one you suggested: Can you buy this one in the shops? Or is it only available online?

Anyone? :confused:

• Advertisement

Ok - deep breath - I have narrowed it down to 3 choices and I have two parts to my question:

1. Can someone tell me which of these would be the best to buy:
    TomTom XL2 IQ Sat Nav UK & ROI
    TomTom XL IQ Sat Nav UK & ROI & Europe
    TomTom XL IQ Sat Nav UK & ROI

Also, what about a Goose Neck Mount? Are these useful/advisable for someone who cannot reach the windscreen of their car?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: What the hell does Live Plus mean?

2nd Edit: I've now narrowed it down to 2 choices: TomTom XL IQ Uk & Ireland version, and the XL2 UK & Ireland version. Which one is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Track42

Ok - deep breath - I have narrowed it down to 3 choices and I have two parts to my question:

1. Can someone tell me which of these would be the best to buy:
    TomTom XL2 IQ Sat Nav UK & ROI
    TomTom XL IQ Sat Nav UK & ROI & Europe
    TomTom XL IQ Sat Nav UK & ROI

Also, what about a Goose Neck Mount? Are these useful/advisable for someone who cannot reach the windscreen of their car?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: What the hell does Live Plus mean?

2nd Edit: I've now narrowed it down to 2 choices: TomTom XL IQ Uk & Ireland version, and the XL2 UK & Ireland version. Which one is best?

Perhaps this query should be in the “Recommend a Sat Nav” thread but, for what it’s worth, here’s my contribution.

The main differences between the XLIQ Routes Edition and the current XLIQ Routes Edition 2 seem to be (1) a simplified, reduced menu (the “dumbed down” menu according to those who owned and liked the first version and thought that they were upgrading!), and (2) the addition of text-to-speech spoken directions as well as the standard recorded voice options. Re the menu changes, a lot of options seem to have been lost, including the ability to navigate to co-ordinates instead of to an address.
    The “2” version seems to be well liked by first-time GPS users, but not by those who had the earlier model. I bought the earlier XLIQ Routes Edition Europe last year and wouldn’t consider changing it for the current version.
    The choice is really down to the amount of options you wish to have and whether you want a text-to-speech option. The earlier version is rapidly becoming scarce, though. If you have the stamina, you might find it worthwhile to go through some of the customer feedback on Amazon.

The TomTom goose neck mount can be very useful, though at times the GPS unit may shake a lot unless it’s also touching the dashboard.

I’ve no idea what service Live Plus is, but it’s not available with either of the above models.

Track42 wrote: »
    Perhaps this query should be in the “Recommend a Sat Nav” thread but, for what it’s worth, here’s my contribution.

The main differences between the XLIQ Routes Edition and the current XLIQ Routes Edition 2 seem to be (1) a simplified, reduced menu (the “dumbed down” menu according to those who owned and liked the first version and thought that they were upgrading!), and (2) the addition of text-to-speech spoken directions as well as the standard recorded voice options. Re the menu changes, a lot of options seem to have been lost, including the ability to navigate to co-ordinates instead of to an address.
    The “2” version seems to be well liked by first-time GPS users, but not by those who had the earlier model. I bought the earlier XLIQ Routes Edition Europe last year and wouldn’t consider changing it for the current version.
    The choice is really down to the amount of options you wish to have and whether you want a text-to-speech option. The earlier version is rapidly becoming scarce, though. If you have the stamina, you might find it worthwhile to go through some of the customer feedback on Amazon.

The TomTom goose neck mount can be very useful, though at times the GPS unit may shake a lot unless it’s also touching the dashboard.

I’ve no idea what service Live Plus is, but it’s not available with either of the above models.

Thanks. I prefer the text to speech rather than co-ordinates. Also, I only want a UK/ROI model. Also, if the product hasn't got Live Services, how do you update the maps? Finally, re the gooseneck, I need to have the product within easy reach for ease of use as I'm not the tallest person, which is the reason why I mentioned this product. Also, Live Services is to do with traffic updates.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd

These are the two options I'm looking at.

Thanks. I prefer the text to speech rather than co-ordinates. Also, I only want a UK/ROI model. Also, if the product hasn't got Live Services, how do you update the maps? Finally, re the gooseneck, I need to have the product within easy reach for ease of use as I'm not the tallest person, which is the reason why I mentioned this product. Also, Live Services is to do with traffic updates.

Apologies in advance if the following is too long and convoluted!
    Map and other software updates for TomTom devices are downloaded on line via TomTom Home or, for the top-of the-range 1000 series via My TomTom.
    Re traffic updates, only the 1000 series provides “live”, reasonably comprehensive traffic updates in the Republic (through a SIM card in the device). This is updated every two minutes or so, but there’s a yearly subscription for the service. It seems to be very good – KoolKid has commented on this in some of his posts. The two XLIQ devices that you are interested can only provide traffic data for major routes in most European countries (including Britain and Northern Ireland) if you use TomTom’s TMC-RDS receiver. This uses data carried in code by FM radio stations, but it is restricted to motorways and other major routes and may be out of date by the time it reaches the device. The service is free but the TMC-RDS service that went live in the Republic last November is not available at present on TomTom devices. TomTom recently indicated to Koolkid (in another thread) that it has no plans at the moment to provide the software to allow its units to access it. At the moment, only Garmin units (with their relevant receivers) can access it here, as far as I know.
    The options seem to be (1) if you require the most up to date and accurate traffic data for Ireland (both jurisdictions) and Britain - the Go Live Regional (but at a premium price and yearly subscriptions) or (2) if you are happy with more limited and possibly less up to date traffic information covering here and the UK via TMC-RDS (without a yearly subscription) - one of the Garmins with Ireland and UK maps and a receiver. If you check through the various threads in this forum, you should pick up some useful information on these.

As far as the goose neck mount is concerned, it brings the unit much closer to the driver, but TomTom doesn’t specify its length. I used to have one, but I found the device easier to reach with a bean bag mount on the dashboard.

The Halford’s link in your latest post doesn’t seem to work.

Apologies in advance if the following is too long and convoluted!
    Map and other software updates for TomTom devices are downloaded on line via TomTom Home or, for the top-of the-range 1000 series via My TomTom.
    Re traffic updates, only the 1000 series provides “live”, reasonably comprehensive traffic updates in the Republic (through a SIM card in the device). This is updated every two minutes or so, but there’s a yearly subscription for the service. It seems to be very good – KoolKid has commented on this in some of his posts. The two XLIQ devices that you are interested can only provide traffic data for major routes in most European countries (including Britain and Northern Ireland) if you use TomTom’s TMC-RDS receiver. This uses data carried in code by FM radio stations, but it is restricted to motorways and other major routes and may be out of date by the time it reaches the device. The service is free but the TMC-RDS service that went live in the Republic last November is not available at present on TomTom devices. TomTom recently indicated to Koolkid (in another thread) that it has no plans at the moment to provide the software to allow its units to access it. At the moment, only Garmin units (with their relevant receivers) can access it here, as far as I know.
    The options seem to be (1) if you require the most up to date and accurate traffic data for Ireland (both jurisdictions) and Britain - the Go Live Regional (but at a premium price and yearly subscriptions) or (2) if you are happy with more limited and possibly less up to date traffic information covering here and the UK via TMC-RDS (without a yearly subscription) - one of the Garmins with Ireland and UK maps and a receiver. If you check through the various threads in this forum, you should pick up some useful information on these.

As far as the goose neck mount is concerned, it brings the unit much closer to the driver, but TomTom doesn’t specify its length. I used to have one, but I found the device easier to reach with a bean bag mount on the dashboard.

The Halford’s link in your latest post doesn’t seem to work

Sorry about that. Try this one: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd.

EDIT: S**t, you're right. Don't know why it won't work?

EDIT #2: One of the units was priced at €149.99, and the other was €114.99. They were both TomTom's and both had UK/ROI mapping.

Sorry about that. Try this one: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd.

EDIT: S**t, you're right. Don't know why it won't work?

EDIT #2: One of the units was priced at €149.99, and the other was €114.99. They were both TomTom's and both had UK/ROI mapping.

If the €149-99 unit you’re referring to is the “XL Live Plus”, it looks like very good value as set out on the Halfords site. I didn’t think that HD Traffic (presumably through a SIM card in the device) was available for the XL IQ here – TomTom’s Irish web page offers it only for the higher end models. On the face of it, that device seems to meet your requirements except that it might not have the text to speech facility (there’s no “2” in its name, so it might be the earlier model), and you would need a clear assurance from Halfords that the traffic service does include the Republic as well as the UK. If it does, it would be a very tempting item, particularly with the inclusion of 12 months’ free subscription to HD Traffic and map updates. It would be useful to find out the cost of renewing the yearly subscriptions when the year runs out, though!

If the €149-99 unit you’re referring to is the “XL Live Plus”, it looks like very good value as set out on the Halfords site. I didn’t think that HD Traffic (presumably through a SIM card in the device) was available for the XL IQ here – TomTom’s Irish web page offers it only for the higher end models. On the face of it, that device seems to meet your requirements except that it might not have the text to speech facility (there’s no “2” in its name, so it might be the earlier model), and you would need a clear assurance from Halfords that the traffic service does include the Republic as well as the UK. If it does, it would be a very tempting item, particularly with the inclusion of 12 months’ free subscription to HD Traffic and map updates. It would be useful to find out the cost of renewing the yearly subscriptions when the year runs out, though!

I think you're right about that!?

The two I'm torn between are priced €114.90, and €149.90.

• Advertisement

The two I'm torn between are priced €114.90, and €149.90.

If that's any help?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement