Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seitan

Options
  • 08-07-2010 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

I have a few recipes for making my own seitan, I was just wondering what the hell "vital wheat gluten" is and where to get it in Dublin. Is it just wheat flour?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Oh I should have searched, came across Tar's post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055566524

Tar did you ever make the seitan? Anyone found any in Ireland yet? Surely an asian supermarket MUST have some? It's insane you have to order it online...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yup, I searched and searched and you don't seem to be able to buy it in Ireland. I've seen a few American recipes with it alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

It's very easy to make just using ordinary bread flour - just mix 250g flour with 125g water and knead into a dough. Let it rest for 1n hour (wrapped in cling film), and then put the dough in a colander and place the colander in a large bowl of cold water, pressing/squeezing the dough til the water turns white, empty and rinse and refill the bowl and repeat the process, until the water stops turning white. At this stage you have wheat gluten in your hands. You can now flavour it with salt/herbs etc, and then tear it into bite sized chunks. Finally poach the chunks in water or vegetable stock until they float. Now you have seitan. Who needs shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

WOW! Thanks for sharing your secrets :D

Brilliant!! THANK YOOOOOU! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Forgot to mention get yourselves a good pair of rubber gloves as the rinsing takes its toll on your hands - last time I made seitan was during the big freeze and the paws were blue afterwards. Don't make it anymore as the Mrs. is wheat intolerant

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Yeah I have made the seitan of greatness from the PPK site a few times and just used strong bread flour. It worked fine and you can adjust your own spices and things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks henry! I never ordered that stuff in the end GetWellSoon. Let me know how yours turns out! I've craved it ever since I had imitation steak in Paris, mmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I did make seitan by washing the starch from flour a few times, but it's incredibly laborious. I ended up ordering from here http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/search?filter0=gluten. Pruduct's cheap, delivery's relatively expensive. I ordered about 5-6kgs at the time to make it worth my while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

I saw jars of seitan in the Dublin Food Co Op recently!

• Advertisement

I saw jars of seitan in the Dublin Food Co Op recently!

JARS of it?? Was it preserved somehow? Slices or chunks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

JARS of it?? Was it preserved somehow? Slices or chunks?

Slices preserved in water! Like those jars of tofu you can get. It was on one of the bottom shelves under the tofu etc. I can't for the life of me remember the brand name though, sorry.

thanks! I might check it out, although the Dublin Food Co-Op can be a bit pricey! However, I don't think I'd be making seitan on a regular basis, so it's probably handier for me just to buy some.

My mate tried to make some over the weekend with some strong plain bakers flour. Haven't heard yet how it went so I'll ask her!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah ye, i have one of those jars sitting at home for a year now. Might go in and have a look at what the co op has in there! Been ages since I was there.

What's the seitan like, Tar? Is it baked/fried/boiled? What's it taste like? Only seitan I've ever tried is that mock duck meat from the asian market, I really like it but I'm guessing fried gluten ain't too healthy!

No idea, it's in a jar!

The Seitan i had in France is the best fake meat I have ever had, stuff was like steak, I adored it. They also sold it by weight like meat, heh.

Will have to pick some of this up and let you know :p
    I've bought the duck...and my sister ate it :mad:

well open the flippin jar and try it!!! :p

Never. Co op or nuthin loike

Advertisement