Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia vs Ati

Options
  • 08-07-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

I'm upgrading my PC to an AMD 6 core cpu and I was planning to upgrade my GPU as well.

I've always been a fan of nvidia and to be honest I never tried an ATI card.

Considering that:

my current card is a gainward gtx 260 1792MB and I am very happy with it.
    I am a gamer but not crazy about fps and extreme performance: I like to play games without major lags.

What model of ATI card could be matched to the above profile without spending a fortune?
    I've seen this "Vaporx" 1GB on adverts sold for 400 is that really worth that money?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

darconio wrote: »
    I'm upgrading my PC to an AMD 6 core cpu and I was planning to upgrade my GPU as well.

I've always been a fan of nvidia and to be honest I never tried an ATI card.

Considering that:

my current card is a gainward gtx 260 1792MB and I am very happy with it.
    I am a gamer but not crazy about fps and extreme performance: I like to play games without major lags.

What model of ATI card could be matched to the above profile without spending a fortune?
    I've seen this "Vaporx" 1GB on adverts sold for 400 is that really worth that money?
    Thanks
    That vapourx is a 5870 and much better than your card but not worth it if your not mad into the best fps/graphics you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Thanks deceit, which model would you reccomend capable of doing its job?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Dunno if it is worth your while upgrading to be honest. A 5770 would be pretty much a step sideways for you, and I would guess you may not be inclined to upgrade soley for Dx11 capability?

The 5830 is not a particularly impressive card for the money and a 5850 or 5870 sound like they would be overkill for what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Thanks marco_polo.
    In conclusion I see that probably it's better to hold on to my card and save over the next months to get a next generation GPU around xmas/next spring.
    Moving to a GDDR5 (let's say a 5770 1GB) will bring any general graphic improvement? Will I be able to see any difference, compared to my current card, for any game not designed/implemented for dx11?
    I've always heard that ATI cards have major issues with the stock/standard drivers: is it just a rumor?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

darconio wrote: »
    Thanks marco_polo.
    In conclusion I see that probably it's better to hold on to my card and save over the next months to get a next generation GPU around xmas/next spring.
    Moving to a GDDR5 (let's say a 5770 1GB) will bring any general graphic improvement? Will I be able to see any difference, compared to my current card, for any game not designed/implemented for dx11?
    I've always heard that ATI cards have major issues with the stock/standard drivers: is it just a rumor?

It would probably be slightly slower than the 260 in Dx10 mode in most games, at least it was upon release as I recall, although driver refinements may have brought it up to par or slightly beyond since then.

Rarely have any major problems with ATI drivers these day, things have improved over the past few years, mainly since AMD took over to my eyes.

Stick with what you have until next year I'd say, it is what I am doing with my HD4870.

• Advertisement
Advertisement