Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Prescription

Options
  • 08-07-2010 2:42pm

OK

So I was misdiagnosed by doctor last week, and given prescription for 48 euro of tablets that turned out to be inappropriate for me and have never been opened. :mad:

Rang pharmacy, they can't take tabs back, health and safety etc. Any ideas? Is it worth chasing the doctor on this? He's not my usual doc, and I won't be going back to him

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The chemist can take the tablets back to dispose of them safely but you won't get a refund afaik. Dunno about the doc. Was it a Locum or a new doctor for you. I guess a Locum as your doc was away?

A new doc in Dublin, my regular GP is based down the country

Yeah the pharmacy said exactly the same as you, it seems wrong to be stuck with the wrong tablets though, doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can you contact the Doctor and ask him for a refund?

He is probably the only one who can give you a definite answer.

Although, personally imo, I can't see the Dr or anyone else giving you a refund for the tablets, regardless of who is at fault.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sell them on eBay.

Of course I'm joking.

Sell them to me.

Sell them to me.

Actually, after the pharmacist told me over the phone that they wouldn't take them back, I signed off with a 'joke' about 'ah well, I'll sell them on the streets so'.

Bit of a fail really, there was an awkward silence and he just said 'no comment' :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Its a shame alright but there is nothing you can do realistically since the value of the meds are so low. The pharmacy have no liability here so its down to the doctor. You could book a follow up appointment (I think if it is regarding the same issue it is normally free) and ask him to explain himself. But really I suppose you can only just learn your lesson and find a different doc in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is not an isolated incident, I also have a packet of medication that was mis-prescribed recently - I ended up in hospital as they conflicted with my regular medication. But there does not seem to be anything you can do about it. You are out the cost of the consultation and the drugs. My fiasco cost me in excess of €200 just for the consultation and drugs, whatever about the time off work etc.

While you can make an issue of major lapses by medics, these small incidents of carelessness or lack of knowledge have no redress. It would not be practical or desirable to follow this to its logical conclusion as doctors have to be in a position of trust and not subject to mischievous lawsuits, but in my own situation it was simple carelessness that resulted in the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Same thing happened to me. I was told I had a bladder infection by D-Doc (the emergency doctors), despite having not a single symptom of it (I even said to them that I had no symptoms!). Spent about 30 quid on meds, ended up in hospital the next night with a completely different problem that had nothing to do with my bladder. Before I went back to the hospital, my mam rang the D-Doc (I was in too much pain to even speak at this point) and the woman I'd seen wasn't in so they asked me to come back in. Came back in, the new doctor diagnosed me correctly and I was sent straight into hospital. They wouldn't even hear of refunding for the tablets, but saw me for free on the second night, that was about all I got from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Google the details of wrong tablets,

They might do for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Run_to_da_hills - please do not advocate this idea.

Prescription drugs should only ever be used under the direction of a doctor. Self-medication is really not a good idea. You might even end up qualifying for a Darwin Award

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement