Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Bottles - How do you clean yours??*

• 08-07-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

was just wondering how other people clean out their Water-bottles?

Usually when I finish a training session i empty out my water bottles and simply fill them with warm water a few times - shaking them each time and then rinsing them out afterwards. This seems to work fine for the bottles I only use for water, but the bottles I put HI:5 or sports drink into seem to be alot harder to clean either acquiring a weird smell or horrible after-taste over time!
    I made the mistake of using washing liquid on some bottles once and the result was that everything I put into them tasted like soap!
    Generally I pick up new water bottles every once in a while but I was just wondering if anyone else happened to know a good way of cleaning them quickly?

Thanks a million!:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I like to pour boiling water into mine, they go soft and you get to smell the plasticizer. Alternatively I put them in the dishwasher. When I say 'I', I of course mean my deputy butler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I usually wait til the mould builds up to the point where the clear plastic indicator bit is fouled up then I scrub them and use Milton:)

Seriously, I rinse after every ride (ooooh-ah, missus!) and fill them occasionally with a solution of Milton and leave overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rinse after every ride, every couple of weks diswaher and or milton

unless picked up off the road at a race then all the above several times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Don't know how she cleans them..I'll ask the wife..(when she's finished the ironing that is!):p

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Dishwasher... never even thought of doing anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tel wrote: »
    deputy butler.

You have two?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

Jawgap wrote: »
    I usually wait til the mould builds up to the point where the clear plastic indicator bit is fouled up then I scrub them and use Milton:)

Seriously, I rinse after every ride (ooooh-ah, missus!) and fill them occasionally with a solution of Milton and leave overnight.

Milton or tesco's own brand sterilising solution are the most suitable for cleaning and sterlising drinking bottles. Try avoid using bleach as it sticks to the plastic and leaving a nasty taste. Sterlising solutions rinse out very easily and are much safer to use. Regular use prevents the build up of harmful bacteria and spores. Replacing old bottles every few months is also recommended. Old bottles are great for holding spare tubes & levers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I have only ever put water in mine so have never washed it....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

With the toilet brush and petrol.

Cleans it well out. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I steam mine. Little bit of water simmering in a big pot and put the bottle in a colander in the pot. Leave a few minutes.Its how my mother used to do baby bottles.

The odd top has buggered up on cheap ones but most are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Pop them into a basin of hot water with Milton after each use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Wet Cotton buds to clean out the gunk that builds up in the closing caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

A baby bottle brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Diswasher normally, soak them all in Milton about once a month if i think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

All this milton?! I'd have thought you'd all be on solids by now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

el tel wrote: »
    I like to pour boiling water into mine, they go soft and you get to smell the plasticizer. Alternatively I put them in the dishwasher. When I say 'I', I of course mean my deputy butler.

My "deputy" butler makes me clean hers
    Jawgap wrote: »

From my days behind the bar, a few hours soaked in Milton should do the job.

In my own opinion, boiling water, shaken, rinsed and then again. Cleaned out even an attempt at recreating Alexander Flemings famous discovery in my bikes coffee holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

the gunk inside is bad, the road grime on the outside is worse

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

onimpulse wrote: »
    Dishwasher... never even thought of doing anything else?

+1

Advertisement