Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelancing

Options
  • 08-07-2010 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm just looking for some pointers here. I would like to start programming for money. I am a college graduate and have experience with Java, C++, Prolog, Perl,Eiffel, html and some javascript. I am just wondering how I would go about getting a job developing as I've no idea how to get myself out there. I would consider my programming ability high.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I am a college graduate. (snip) I would consider my programming ability high.

From your post, it sounds like you don't have much experience outside of college yet. There really is no substitute for real-word coding experience (outside of an academic environment). Try and get as much as possible: if you have a full-time job currently, do some open-source stuff in the evenings, and look for a full-time job for 6-12 months to build it up.

As to marketing yourself as a programmer, what I'd recommend is that you start blogging regularly about programming and interesting things you're working on. Interact with the freelancing community in your area, read FreelanceSwitch, etc. Network online and offline.

Do some research into what kind of companies might hire someone with your skills. If you see a niche you'd like to get into but don't have the skills, learn.

You're in a great position: the world is your oyster as the saying goes.

Advertisement