Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat won't go to her kitten

Options
  • 08-07-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

OK, our pregnant cat gave birth to a kitten overnight. For a short while today, she has been with her kitten but for the past hour or so, she's not been with her kitten. We set up a box with blankets as it looks like she's still expecting more of a litter, but she's in the box and the kitten's outside the box.

Should we leave the kitten out of the box until the mother gets it? Or should we intervene and place the kitten in the box?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I'm no cat expert but is it a bit worrying that she hasn't had more of her litter already? Is she very distressed?

I'd imagine keep the kitten warm, maybe put it in a corner of the box if possible.She's probably not thinking about bringing it into the box, if she's giving birth to more.Keep a close eye - I presume it's not getting any milk, it might be hungry.

Sorry I'm not more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'd put the kitten in the box.

Did she feed the kitten when she was with it earlier?

It's ok for her to be away from it for an hour or two because she needs a break.

Are they indoors? The kitten will probably be warm enough on its own, as long as it's not a very cold/drafty room.

It is kinda worrying that she hasn't had the rest. I'd call the vet and ask if you should bring her in. She might need an injection to bring on contractions. If the other babies die inside her then she'd get very sick.

Advertisement