Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media Accreditation For Dublin Horse show

• 08-07-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I don't think many photographers will agree to give away their images for free.

http://www.dublinhorseshow.com/index.jsp?p=427&n=469

Photographers
    - In signing and submitting this accreditation photographers agree to supply the organisers of the Dublin Horse, with a variety of high quality images taken at the Show by email or by CD-ROM by 30th September 2010. These images may be used copyright free with no moral rights asserted for the future promotion of Grandstand events.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well at least they're putting their rules out in the open before you apply, there's nothing sneaky about it.

If a photographer wants the gig, then he/she'll have to put up with it. If they're not happy, I'm sure they'll find work elsewhere :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

As Al says, its all up front.

I work for a couple of magazines at the Horse Show so I am paid already even before I get around to doing sponsor work. Not too much skin off my nose about the terms and conditions.

I am quite happy to see they are tightening up the application terms to make sure only those whom have good reason to be there are allowed accreditation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Borderfox wrote: »
    As Al says, its all up front.

Yeah, up front, not hiding it in small print.
    I work for a couple of magazines at the Horse Show so I am paid already even before I get around to doing sponsor work. Not too much skin off my nose about the terms and conditions.

I think the fact that you have to be commissioned at least means they know you are getting some payment from elsewhere. Just wonder though, does this cause an issue over you giving rights to use photos you took while under commission for another body? I have no problem with it at all, just wondering is all.

My Daughter is horse mad, spending her summer "helping" out at a stables, means she works like a dog but gets to ride in exchange - I think it's great as she gets experience and appreciates what hard work is. Reckon I'll probably be attending the horse show, would love to get into press area, but I'm not working and that area is for people making a living. So it is good that they have tight criteria for getting accreditation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it seems to leave the photographers to pick the images?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I guess it saves their PR staff searching through 10,000's of images to pick out to good ones - And it's likely photographers will put in their good ones, if your photos are going to be used for promotion of next years event, they may as well be good ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Things are up front - seems fair enough.
    it seems to leave the photographers to pick the images?
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    I guess it saves their PR staff searching through 10,000's of images to pick out to good ones - And it's likely photographers will put in their good ones, if your photos are going to be used for promotion of next years event, they may as well be good ones.

No biggie - If you wanted you could always send them high res pics of some grass!! (provided you don't want to get in the following year)

I have sold some pictures from last years event to the RDS, so this years just means sell them to somebody else.

I work at Equestrian sports amongst other things all year and the RDS is probably the best time for me to sell pictures, the Horse show ends up with a lot of people (imo having no business being there) who wouldnt know either end of a horse turning up to shoot, Pro's included on that list too. The Horse is the star of the show, nothing else

I have sold some pictures from last years event to the RDS, so this years just means sell them to somebody else.

I work at Equestrian sports amongst other things all year and the RDS is probably the best time for me to sell pictures, the Horse show ends up with a lot of people (imo having no business being there) who wouldnt know either end of a horse turning up to shoot, Pro's included on that list too. The Horse is the star of the show, nothing else

I totally understand where you come from Border and thats fair enough, as a horse man, but not everyone see it the way the you do. But papers seem to want a shot of the guy crossing the line waving his hand (or hers) with the horses head in view - horse not the star there.

If I remember correctly you said after last years show that the stuff in the papers wasn't great. But thats what the papers seem to want - or at least what the agencies that supply them give them - and they seem happy enough.

All I'm saying is that they have their niche and you have yours.

Its a fact of life that even when your shots are top notch they may not interest everyone or anyone.

You have to tip you hat to the RDS for chancing their arm though.
    They'll probably get a load of tripe submitted.

I remember last years coverage and it was about the worst I have seen, it was that bad I even commented to the guy who shot it and asked if he had seen any Horses that day. Agency boys are not much better with the generic 400mm shots of a close up of the rider with no idea of whether they are jumping a hay bale or fresh air...

Rant over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I think a bit of passion or at least decent knowledge of the sport would help! I'm no sport photographer but if it's a showjumping, I'd love to capture the horses jumping or riders falling! :P

• Advertisement

MartMax wrote: »
    I think a bit of passion or at least decent knowledge of the sport would help! I'm no sport photographer but if it's a showjumping, I'd love to capture the horses jumping or riders falling! :P

Heres one of both, spot the rider
    8BF7A7786CD04A37AEDBB55E9169BC10-800.jpg

MartMax wrote: »

Totally agree, that passion should shine through.

But its not wanted in a lot of sources, and that is wrong.

Generally I've had to stop worrying about what makes a good shot and concern myself with what is more likely to sell, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I'm fiddling with the idea of sending the media pass application - it is unlikely successful thou. I think I'd have more fun watching the show like last time I was around.

Advertisement