Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 Arrested In Carlow Drugs Raids

Options
  • 08-07-2010 3:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭

Shocking stuff but not at all surprised

Eleven people were being questioned by gardaí today after raids on several houses by drugs squad officers targeting heroin dealing.

More than 20 searches were carried out in the Carlow region by around 80 gardaí from the south eastern regional drugs unit, backed up by officers from the Garda national drugs squad.

Eight men and three women, ranging in age from mid-20s to mid-60s, were detained under Section 2 of the Drug Trafficking Act on suspicion of selling and supplying heroin.

They were being questioned at Carlow, Kilkenny, Thomastown and Athy garda stations.

Officers have been targeting the sale and supply of the drug in the south east region for several months.

Seizures have been made in previous searches but none took place today.

Wonder who they were :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Shocking stuff but not at all surprised

Wonder who they were :confused:

I know, i'd nearly say the name just to give boards mods something to freak out about, i think they're getting tired of locking threads for going off topic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

I know, i'd nearly say the name just to give boards mods something to freak out about, i think they're getting tired of locking threads for going off topic

PM perhaps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

There was a bit of a scatter when the law came. There is too much talk about the dealers and not enough about the idiots and G%%b sihts that are using the drugs. There is nobody forcing them to start using drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

"There was a bit of a scatter when the law came. There is too much talk about the dealers and not enough about the idiots and G%%b sihts that are using the drugs. There is nobody forcing them to start using drugs. "
    No surprises here so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    not enough about the idiots and G%%b sihts that are using the drugs. There is nobody forcing them to start using drugs.

disagree totally, if you read the article in the carlow people last week you'll see my opinions on it.

but you have to work with drug users to understand, ye that don't havent a clue and are naive to it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

sharky86 wrote: »
    "There was a bit of a scatter when the law came. There is too much talk about the dealers and not enough about the idiots and G%%b sihts that are using the drugs. There is nobody forcing them to start using drugs. "
    No surprises here so

thought that person was already locked up for an incident last year

Only one of the family was....their are out on bail until sept now I beleive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They got told "dont let the revolving door hit ya on the arse on the way out"

The penal system in Ireland is a joke! They should reintroduce penal servitude and get something back instead of pumping money into career criminals incarceration.

make them assist in realibitation clinics for drug addicts or tend to people dieing from HIV after drug use. Then send them out in orange jumpsuits to clean the hedges and roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    There was a bit of a scatter when the law came. There is too much talk about the dealers and not enough about the idiots and G%%b sihts that are using the drugs. There is nobody forcing them to start using drugs.

Yeah and lets name and shame all the alcoholics as well, gobsh*tes the lot of them. Oh and the people addicted to cigarettes, we never hear anything about them idiots. Sarcasm alert for those missing the sarcasm gene.

There are many factors affecting a persons decision making. Peer pressure, domestic situation,financial situation, or even boredom. In most cases these factors force the decision and at that point freely available drugs, drink, cigarettes etc make it a long and often never ending road to recovery.

Hence stories such as the above may reduce the number of idiots and gobsh*tes you meet in your day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

make them assist in realibitation clinics for drug addicts

Make the drug dealers work with those desperately craving drugs! :p:p

maybe not the clinics so but the HIV thingy or orange jump suits could be good :P

make them assist in realibitation clinics for drug addicts or tend to people dieing from HIV after drug use. Then send them out in orange jumpsuits to clean the hedges and roads
    maybe not the clinics so but the HIV thingy or orange jump suits could be good :P

nevermind the cushy indoor jobs there are plenty of streets that need sweeping and lots of rivers in the country that can be cleaned up by the convicts who will appreciate the feeling of worth they get from a hard days work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

There should be more help for people on drugs,,,, yeah people have a choice about taking drugs but its addictive so i hate when people judge addicts because until your an addict yourself, they have no idea how hard it is,

Then why make the choice to take them in the first place?

There is loads of reasons, Peer pressure is a big one,, tring to be cool or fit in, some people can even take them to feel good
    or doing it to spite parents is a common reason not heard of very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

those poor people, locked up for supply a demand, its only weed FFS,, while the rapists and paedo's and corrupt people enjoy the sun today...............

sorry my mistake.....heroin is filth those dealing it large scale should get severe sentences and im talking about the importers..

Yeah but its a sad reason cuz drugs are a killer and its not till u hit rock bottom that you reliase how bad it is
    indeed! and i was always told that it is only the person addicted that can seek help for themselves and anything done for them before this "turning point" in their life is wasted as it will have little/no effect

There is loads of reasons, Peer pressure is a big one,, tring to be cool or fit in, some people can even take them to feel good
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    or doing it to spite parents is a common reason not heard of very much.

This has to be the wrost statement I have heard all week, No offence intended. I would agree with this if it was directed to some of the more wide spead "social drugs" like coke, weed and pills (not that I would avocate these ) but the situation in question if related to smack. There is a massive jump from taken a line of coke to burning smack on a spoon and injecting yourself and yes I know that people dont go straigh to injecting
    charlemont wrote: »
    those poor people, locked up for supply a demand, its only weed FFS,, while the rapists and paedo's and corrupt people enjoy the sun today...............

I would hold rapists and smack dealers in the same class of each other, both ruin lifes from which I am yet to see a person fully recover

sorry my mistake.....heroin is filth those dealing it large scale should get severe sentences and im talking about the importers..

Small scale dealers are just as bad, all dealers in the same boat. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

For the sake of argument I'll entertain the idea that addicts need help and quitting is not a possiblilty until they are given the proper treatment etc...
    With that said, I'd genuinely love to know what percentage of users in Carlow fall into the category of "addict" and what percentage are just ignorant clowns who don't care about where their money goes or what damage they do as long as they get their kicks. These are the people I have a problem with, there will always be dealers as long as there is a demand.

I'm aware the OP relates to heroine specifically (which when compared to cocaine, weed, ecstacy etc is a whole other level) but I doubt these people are too picky about what they sell or who they sell it to, so I'm just gona go ahead and lump them all into the one category.

Essien wrote: »
    With that said, I'd genuinely love to know what percentage of users in Carlow fall into the category of "addict" and what percentage are just ignorant clowns who don't care about where their money goes or what damage they do as long as they get their kicks. These are the people I have a problem with, there will always be dealers as long as there is a demand.

I'm aware the OP relates to heroine specifically (which when compared to cocaine, weed, ecstacy etc is a whole other level) but I doubt these people are too picky about what they sell or who they sell it to, so I'm just gona go ahead and lump them all into the one category.

Ashamed to say I prob know more of these people than people that actually don't do drugs...

Moral of the story: drop out of school, grap a trade and migrate to Australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Ashamed to say I prob know more of these people than people that actually don't do drugs...

Its a depressing sign of the times alright.

FTR I don't actually have that much of a problem with people doing drugs because they are doing drugs, people can put heroine on their cornflakes for all I care, thats their problem. My (and everybody else's) problem is the fact that they don't seem to mind pumping money into an unregulated, vicious, violent, competitive illegal industry, this can only lead to bad things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the drug issue isnt going to be sorted unless its properly looked at. the fact of closing the head shops has just driven many people back into the hands of dealers, alcohol STILL doesnt seem to be classified right for the damage it does and as for treatment - I know a guy who has a very very bad drink problem and he's been waiting 3 years to date on st dympnas to get back to him with an appointment, after his doctor requested treatment for him. He's actually done a decent job himself, on his own of combatting the addiction.

So, not only are the government making sure people who normally would only take a smoke are now having to deal with those who deal all sorts of crap, but the government cant even treat alcohol addiction, nevermind any other kind. Cant see it boding well.

Also, how people get onto heroin is usually much more complicated than the reasons many people in this thread have put forward.

The head shops are all opening up again! Nirvana is doing a roaring trade as are the others!

If an addict is lying in the street sick or otherwise then it is down to choices they have made again and again! Nobody has held a knife to their threat and demanded they get high! Spare us the sob stories as the help is there if addicts want it but only if they are serious about quitting their life of drugs!
    ah yeah i totally agree with you, but im a recovering Drug Addict and i got into a treatment centre within 2 weeks of looking, but the HSE wouldnt help me with the grant, so what do dey expect??? im not even gonna go into Guards subject cause i have a stronbg opinion about them but if an addict is on the streets " stoned", people look at him like he is scum when actually he could be really sick....

Advertisement