Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment for Inferno 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yep good call. That looks the Business for 99 bob.
    My Hdtv will unfortunately not be going to this inferno due to my bro pulling out as he was lift and im fecked if im lugging a 40 " around.

So how do you purpose we buy this equipment and monitors etc in the future.Is there money in a kitty already from previous Infernos squirelled away? Is there to be a certain amount of $$$ taken from each future inferno to get this gear
    Sorry for the ignorance if I've missed the ins and outs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

There's a kitty from previous events that we've been building up over the last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Ahh good stuff Dan..I didnt realise our well earned bucks went elsewhere other than coblecogs pocket.I'd say go with that badboy.
    Not much of an AV man but the specs look good and the price is right.
    How much is in the kitty out of interest?

Don't know offhand as I'm not looking after it but it's around 250 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah we're at €250, last few casuals have been losing a couple of euro at a time overall (not that that's a problem, it's only a few quid). I think this monitor looks like a good purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Really think we need to be 100% sure a monitor is lagless before we buy but yeah. How do we go about storing things when we start getting community gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Sisko wrote: »
    Really think we need to be 100% sure a monitor is lagless before we buy but yeah. How do we go about storing things when we start getting community gear?

Ppc posted a lagless monitor with speakers but it was 200 quid. Do they really need to be 100% lagless. Would people notice any problems on say 10 - 20 ms of lag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

18 inches is very small.

and ultimately who owns it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

18 inches is very small.

and ultimately who owns it?

And this is exactly why I wanted a committee, because sooner or later these questions get asked.

The community owns it, the committee take responsibility for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We can afford two of these at the moment and my parents work a few minutes away from Jaguar, so can collect from there easy enough.

We'd want to decide on this quickly if we want them before next Saturday. I can store them easy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

why dont we just get a crt thats bigger and cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Placebo wrote: »
    why dont we just get a crt thats bigger and cheaper

Because transporting bigger CRT tellies is a lot harder.

18 inches is very small.

Didnt notice that. It Is kind of small.

What about this one?

http://www.jaguarcompsys.ie/product_info.php?cPath=6_113&products_id=2679

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable playing on such a small screen tbh. Just my personal opinion. nothing smaller than 30 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

3O is too big to transport and too expensive.
    i have 22 at home and its fine, we play at a close range.

What size are the ones in xgc anyway? 26?

What's roogle's one? It's small and I found it perfectly fine to play one.

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable playing on such a small screen tbh. Just my personal opinion. nothing smaller than 30 inches.

Then you're not going to enjoy the next Inferno as we don't have any 30"+ tellies.

Also afaik XGC are all sub 30".

Is 18.5 really too small? I mean you're going to playing right beside them. As regards being lagless, as I said from what I can find this should be fine but that's why I'm only suggesting one for the moment so we can test it properly. In reality I reckon once we can get it under one frame then it's not too bad.

And yeah CRTs and anything too big just becomes a pain for getting them in.

Paid for by the community, owned by the community.

Am I the only one who thinks small screens are better as your eyes don't have to dart all over the place to watch meter/life/stun/guard break whatever?

I thought xgc were 30-32 inch widescreen.
    It's measured on the diagonal and a 32 inch widescreen seems a lot smaller than a 32 inch 4:3

Whatever xgc is, is a good size, I wouldn't particularly want to go much lower than that, and remember we have to have two people off centre on each telly.

• Advertisement

I thought xgc were 30-32 inch widescreen.
    It's measured on the diagonal and a 32 inch widescreen seems a lot smaller than a 32 inch 4:3

Whatever xgc is, is a good size, I wouldn't particularly want to go much lower than that, and remember we have to have two people off centre on each telly.

It would cost a fortune to even get 8 26 inch screens wouldnt it?
    21 - 22 inch seems like a happy medium to me.

I have a 32 inch in the sitting room. From looking at that I think the xgc are smaller.

Why would we buy 8?!?

That's a serious investment, what are we gonna do, run a gaming centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Why would we buy 8?!?

Could lead to interesting things that...

If had a means of transport id be able to bring my 32" that I gots in my room lagg'less too =] its basicaly one of the XGC tv's but bigger

Why would we buy 8?!?

Im not talking about buying them all straight off but Orim said he plans to have bought enough monitors to run an inferno which is about 8 setups by December. If we go buying 32 inch screens we wont have enough for ages.

Why would we buy 8?!?

The hope is to eventually have enough equipment to run tournaments with all community equipment rather having to get people to bring their own equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Just to clarify my monitor which i can bring is 18".

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭feckhead

Bush80 wrote: »
    What size are the ones in xgc anyway? 26?

26" For the Xboxes and 24" for PS3.

feckhead wrote: »

Thanks. As I thought then. 22 would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Are we not jumping the gun a little bit with buying monitors? Playing devil's advocate for a second, say it doesn't quite work out well in alternate venues and we end up staying in xgc for inferno's. Then we've spent community money on monitors with no real use. Maybe we should wait till after Inferno 11 to decide, surely someone else can provide one on the day.

• Advertisement

feckhead wrote: »

Cheers. Going down to a 22" isn't much of a drop then. EVO plays on 21.5 monitors fyi

If someone can do the research on the one Bush linked then I'm happy to go with it, if it looks fairly good for input delay. However it is a bit more and if we stuck with it we would be getting 2 for every 3 of the smaller.

Alternatively, there is the possibility of renting equipment? It just came to me and may be an option instead of buying. Personnaly I would prefer buying to renting as we would get something and we would have control over what we get, where we might be very hard pressed to find a rental company with decent set ups we could rent. Still something to look into I guess.

Advertisement