Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words/phrases that irritate you.

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

i hate when people from dublin say 'yous'. gets on my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    i hate when people from dublin say 'yous'. gets on my nerves.

And when country folk say 'ye'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

nomad15 wrote: »
    Don't like when people use the words "epic" or even "moist" to describe something...makes me cringe.

Her Vagina was so moist,that when his swollen member enter her time and time again,her orgasam was epic.

I like them words,they can be used in so many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mind44

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Sikth instead of sixth.

I'm hearing that a lot lately! Very annoying.

If anyone has seen the U.S. Apprentice you'll quickly notice how often they say "step up" - "she needs to step up", "I'm gonna step up" etc. It makes me feel physically sick when I hear it.

Oh oh and "punched the air" - I hate the look of it, the idea of it and the wording of it. American sales/motivation bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭carm

Fine, next time ill just call you "Tools"

What else do you want them to say as a matter of interest?

In a formal situation: Ladies and Gentlemen
    In an informal situation involved work colleagues, there isn't really a need to address.

It was used far too often where I used to work, to a point a couple of other staff members started using it unnecessarily, irritating other people and started sounding like the lick-a$$ employees they were.

The man who springs to mind who uses the word all too often is George Bush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

This one really p1sses me off.

Anytime i put on sky news i cant stand the way english people say the word "year"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

1) Awesome
    2) Epic
    3) Anything that isn't a question but is intonated like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

my da says 'twiced' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

31 pages and no one mentioned: back in the day - I hate that expression. I, now, also hate: I didn't read the thread or I didn't have time to read the thread or this has probably been mentioned already, etc - if you had bothered your arse it wouldn't be 31 pages long!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I am trying to popularise fetid as an exclamation of something that is really cool!

'I saw him on his fixie bike and he was fetid!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mind44

I am trying to popularise fetid as an exclamation of something that is really cool!

'I saw him on his fixie bike and he was fetid!'

No, sorry, it sounds like a tamer version of rabid. I saw him yesterday after he was bitten. He's fetid, he could even be rabid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

'Hipster'.

Gobshites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

West Brit, PC brigade, begrudger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

bungler wrote: »
    This one really p1sses me off.

Anytime i put on sky news i cant stand the way english people say the word "year"

Yeah tell me about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

"going forward" **** OFF YOU ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

happy dayz.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blackjack00801

Here are my pet peeves, in no particular order:

"of" in place of "have," e.g., "I could of done that."

"was like" to mean "said," e.g., "He was like, 'you must be joking.'"

"junk," when it doesn't mean "trash," e.g., "Don't touch my junk."

"they" referring to a singular person, e.g., "I asked my date to spend the night with me last night but they didn't want to" (if you don't want to reveal the gender of your date, phrase accordingly (say "my date turned down my request that we sleep together"; also, start dating someone else who appreciates you more; using "they," among other things, just raises suspicions that you're hiding something from me). Rather than use "they," please use "he" or "she" or, if you don't know which it is, rephrase the statement. Rather than say "Somebody called me last night but they didn't leave a message," say "Somebody called me last night but didn't leave a message" or, more awkwardly, "he or she didn't leave a message."

"begs the question" when the speaker means "raises the question" (that is not what "begs the question" means; this just sounds like a cool expression so folks want to use it without learning what it means)

"I" when it should be "me," e.g., "He mailed the package to my brother and I" instead of "my brother and me" (if you wouldn't say "mailed it to I," then don't say "mailed it to my brother and I.").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

tolosenc wrote: »

when im in a club and a girl goes 'ye fellas from the shmoke' in conversation....i'm out of there....... instantly....

other hates....

'paro' as a skang abbreviation for paranoid...its not a 20 letter word ffs
    'nekkid' : does'nt even shorten the word 'naked' and sounds like it came from some nu metal white trash mongo in america...
    'sick' : meaning awesome...doesnt work for me ....sick should describe f***ed up actions only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

'nekkid' : does'nt even shorten the word 'naked' and sounds like it came from some nu metal white trash mongo in america...

Oh dear, you wouldn't like me so, I used that in a post I made tonight. ;)

tolosenc wrote: »

When people say "country folk". :rolleyes::p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

The word Sneakers.. :mad:

I use sneakers. For sneaking!

Stand clear, luggage doors, operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 Logfire

People who use the words Feck, Feckers, Feckin, etc. - Makes them sound immature/childish. If you want to curse, then do it properly.

Also as someone already mentioned, using Sikth for Sixth.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

Exceptions don't prove rules, they invalidate them

I thought about this before so I looked it up online.
    The phrase can be interpreted as follows: A sign that says "parking prohibited on Sundays" (the exception) "proves" that parking is allowed on the other six days of the week (the rule).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

grown adults who call their parents Mammy and Daddy, women are the worst for this.

pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

I use "yous" to pluralise... ie., how are yous all doing? "Yizz" is for skangers.

A lot of people would consider you a skanger for using "yous".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_person
    Colloquial
    Youse Second person plural, dialect Scouse -
    Ye Second person plural, dialectal Hiberno-English -
    You guys Second person plural, dialectal American English -
    Y'all Second person plural, dialectal African American English and Southern American English

the proper word is
    You Second person singular / plural

krudler wrote: »
    grown adults who call their parents Mammy and Daddy, women are the worst for this.

pathetic.

I do that. Anything else sounds contrived. Am I pathetic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I hate the word cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

malkmoose wrote: »
    I thought about this before so I looked it up online.
    The phrase can be interpreted as follows: A sign that says "parking prohibited on Sundays" (the exception) "proves" that parking is allowed on the other six days of the week (the rule).

The rules are no "parking on sunday".

How does it prove that there is parking on the other six days and how does it invalidate it?

If you see a sign like that you can only "assume" that there is parking on the other 6 days unless there is a sign stating that explicitly states there is parking on the other 6 days. Therefore it neither invalidates or proves that there is parking on the other 6 days because you dont know for sure unless it is explicitly stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

orourkeda wrote: »
    The rules are no "parking on sunday".

How does it prove that there is parking on the other six days and how does it invalidate it?

If you see a sign like that you can only "assume" that there is parking on the other 6 days unless there is a sign stating that explicitly states there is parking on the other 6 days. Therefore it neither invalidates or proves that there is parking on the other 6 days because you dont know for sure unless it is explicitly stated.

But that is the point, no parking on Sundays implies that parking is allowed on the other days of the week, it doesn't need to be explicitly stated. The presence of an exception establishes that a general rule exists.

Advertisement