Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words/phrases that irritate you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Blue sky thinking

In all and anyways :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

'In fairness..'

Although I've used it myself just to try to be 'fair'...go figure!

...and 'Go figure..'

Horrible horrible phrase...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

don't take this the wrong way but......

I don't mean to be nasty/mean but....

These always lead to some one being horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

I literally feel like chewing my arm off to belt whoever actually uses, like, actually in literally every sentence.

Literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Oh, and when people misuse 'no offence.'

'No offence but I dont really like <person>'

OMG IM SO OFFENDED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Someone I used to work with would start almost every thing he said with, "I'm not trying to be funny but......" and you just knew that the next words out of his mouth would be total horse****e and unfunny, so I suppose he got part of it right.

Also for some reason when I hear people asking someone to keep in contact by the written word and they say "write me", as opposed to "write to me". Now I do not know if the first way is indeed grammatically correct (someone please tell me), but it always grates on me.

When I hear people talking of "math" when referring to numerical problems, at school I always did "maths", again "math" may be correct but really gets to me.

As for "current economic climate" - sorry :( I put my hands up, I am guilty of that one.

"Eggs in a row" - I work with chickens so I think I am allowed that one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Oftentimes

Devastated (little johnny lost a penny and is reported to be "DEVASTATED")

Lightbulb moment (Jesus Christ!)

Quantum leap

Paradigm shift

Thinking outside the box

To do a "180"

Comfort zone (f**ks sake!)

My car was "totalled"

Hello?

Whatever

So yesterday

So (enter choice of epoch here)

Innit?

Well fit!

I'll pencil you in

Absolutely!

Going for the vomit bag now. (That's me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

"British Isles" (although I rarely hear people saying it in Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I seen, instead of I saw.

I done, instead of I did.

Banter. Because I hate the word.

Irish people calling one another Dude.

Yiz, or worse, yizzer.

Bud. I'm not your bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Yes, common for many tens of thousands of people all over the country
    No common as in low class!

You posted:
    and

Meaning you're pretty young or you don't know very many people or possibly both.

I'll tell you what's common.
    People in Dublin turning Steven into Stevo :p

So to go back to the OP, what's with people in cities called Liamo, Stevo, Anto, Deco and so on?

Sticking "O" at the end of a name has been part and parcel of how Dubs refer to each other for generations. As far back as I can remember I used to call my uncle Tommy, Tommo....when I was six and visiting his farm in Cork. It's a term of endearment. Stephen was never Stevo but Steo.

It's just the same as calling someone you like whose name is Joseph, "Joey", Robert "Robbie", "Robbo"....plus it's easier to shout a name that ends in "O" or "IE" when you're playing football or running from the garda, haha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

"Basically"
    "Literally"
    "Like"
    "Honestly"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Sticking "O" at the end of a name has been part and parcel of how Dubs refer to each other for generations. As far back as I can remember I used to call my uncle Tommy, Tommo....when I was six and visiting his farm in Cork. It's a term of endearment. Stephen was never Stevo but Steo.

It's just the same as calling someone you like whose name is Joseph, "Joey", Robert "Robbie", "Robbo"....plus it's easier to shout a name that ends in "O" or "IE" when you're playing football or running from the garda, haha!
    Since you like jumbling names so much try this one. Mary Hickey now swap the first letter of the first name and surname :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

My name is Stephen and always through primary school it was Steo - which I hated!

Then secondary and there was no real set name.

1st year of college was Stevo.

2nd year of college was then shortened to Ste.

God only knows what I'll be tagged with when 3rd year starts in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

Tasty. :mad:

If I hear someone using that word to describe food I want to ask them if they describe music as being soundy.

It irritates me more than is reasonable.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Use of the word "several" when referring to just any old amount drives me mental!!!! WTF.

single = one
    couple = 2
    few = 3
    half dozen = 6
    several = 7
    dozen = 12

and so on so fourth. forth.*

News reporters in particular love referring to anything above 3 as being several????!!!!! The hint is in the F***ING name dumbass. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

*FYP

Also, do yourself a favour and google "etymology of several".

Hanged. It should be hung.

If you're talking about the method of execution or suicide, then hanged is correct.

If you're talking about placing the Christmas stockings by the chimney with care, then hung is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

The word "uber" have noticed it creeping in over here.

John is uber rich and is going out with the uber famous model jenny who were seen at the uber chic restaurant bla bla bla

So pretentious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just touching base here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Emmsy

Irregardless.

Regardless, yep. Irrespective, sure. Irregardless is not a word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭chasm

People who say "For all intensive purposes", Jeez if you're going to use this annoying saying at least get it right!!!
    Its "For all intents and purposes"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

"Typical Irish Begrudgery"

Sausagefest

Footballers who say "he did ever so well"

Anyone who calls themselves a straight talker as if anyone who disagrees is too scared to tell the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 finalcuntpro

When people call people 'boss'. Especially when women say it to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I detest the Celtic Moggy words 'canny' and 'savvy'. Loser journalists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Thepones wrote: »
    Dont know if it has been mentioned already but...

When people say "do be" or "does be"

"When I am at work I do be posting on boards"

"He does be looking at the internet all day"

GRRRRRRRR iritates me so!

This came from when Irish people changed from speaking Irish to English. It is perfect grammer in Irish! While not the Queens English it is clear enough to me. It's similar to 'we be kickin' it cuz'.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 nehcola

It really annoys me when people don't/can't pronounce the th sound in words: dere for there, taught for thought, bodder for bother etc. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

BMF Plint wrote: »
    carlow people when they say laaaad really bugs me

should that not read cavan people? on the topic of cavan people many of them have an obsession adding the word "fact" at the end of sentences which are clearly opinions, not facts. very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

The words vagina/fanny/muff.
    Cant cope with them.
    If I personally feel the need to talk about that general area in a conversation (which usually doesnt happen) I'll sooner point down there than use any of those words:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

'The rain didn't/couldn't dampen their spirits as revellers blah blah blah..............'

It's raining and the Nations kids are at Oxegen, therefore we'lll have to hear and read this journalistic festival-weather-cliche several hundred times before Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

Great Aunt, Great Uncle, very Englishy, its Gran Aunt, Gran Uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

The word epic annoys me so much, in the sense of "come on lads it'll be epic!" Will it really be about mythological heroes? Great I'll be there! Or will it be one of those poetry nights where we read the work of Virgil or Homer? Or will it simply be impressive...None of these sound like what you probably intended, idiot.

Also the word 'buddy', I have only just met you, I don't even know your name I am not your buddy. This one just annoys me because I think it makes the person being called 'buddy' sound like they're a child:o.

Advertisement