Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words/phrases that irritate you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

YIS ARE ALL SAD PPL GO GET A LIFE:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Glenshane Pass

The librarian in Ilac centre said one time;

"Yes Mary we have staples just check that there drawer... that drawer there, there that drawer, hahaha"

FOR **** SAKE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭chasm

Raedwald wrote: »
    I have been to lecture were highly intelligent students have attempted to answer questions and 70% of what they have said is just the word "like".

Was about to say i have been to lectures like that too, then realised that actually i had been watching Corin on Big Brother, "omg like omg like" Arghhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

"Let's call a spade a spade" - what else are you going to fcuking call it?

A person of African origin, you racist? :p

I've been told that that is the original meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

when people say cheers instead of thank you - i feel like banging their head off a wall repeatedly lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

tbh tbh tbh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

People that say sugar instead of sh*t really get my goat,
    especially when they draw out the sh "oh shhhhhhhugar":mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

People who say "he/she was sat" :mad:. The current fashion for saying "he/she does be", really grinds my gears; generally the verb "do" is being butchered mercilessly in everyday speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

"you are now leaving schipol airport" :(:(

You had to be told this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

YIS ARE ALL SAD PPL GO GET A LIFE:D:D:D

Although I agree with you, whinging is still therapeutic.

What drives me insane is the misuse of the word random.

Toss a coin in the air, that's random.

See a man with a pineapple on his head- that's strange, bizarre, odd, weird, unexpected, unusual, surprising, unprecedented, absurd, surreal, unexplaned etc.
    But not f**king random.

If there are many words that mean what you are trying to say, use one, don't use one that means something completely different and even unrelated.

Don't get me started on 'randomer'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

'The rain didn't/couldn't dampen their spirits as revellers blah blah blah..............'

It's raining and the Nations kids are at Oxegen, therefore we'lll have to hear and read this journalistic festival-weather-cliche several hundred times before Monday!

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/festivals/rain-cant-dampen-the-spirits-at-oxegen-2254210.html

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH !!!! :rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

people saying "irregardless" drives me crazy for some reason
    it's not a word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

"good stuff" "Happy days"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

****, ****in' used as adjectives in every sentence. There are other words, use it for its proper meaning, or in extreme cases if you must, but putting it into one sentence three or four times is just idleness.

'Its ironic but' meaning its a bit strange - 'Its ironic but xxx didn't do whatever' when there is nothing ironic about it.

'Right!' as a precursor to doing anything ... I'm the worst offender :D
    Right! I'd better get off this computer and go and do something useful'

Edit, I put in the first two words in full and the site cleaned them up for me! They both begin with F!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Without trawling through the previous 15 pages (too lazy and too old to be bothered!), the constant mispronunciation of the motor company ''Peugeot''. Ladies and gentlemen, it isn't ''Pew-geot''; it's ''Per-geot''. Ask any Frenchman!! Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for my daily lie down in the blacked out room at the back of the house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭chasm

blueser wrote: »
    the constant mispronunciation of the motor company ''Peugeot''. Ladies and gentlemen, it isn't ''Pew-geot''; it's ''Per-geot''. Ask any Frenchman!!

Audi is another one, It's not "Or-dee" it's "Ow-dee"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭jos28

Anyone using the phrase '110%' drives me mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

chasm wrote: »
    Audi is another one, It's not "Or-dee" it's "Ow-dee"
    And Mercedes. It's ''Mer-say-dees'', not ''Mer-see-days''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I'm afraid my pet hate is incorrect grammar. I wince when I see an apostrophe in the wrong place, or words like "there", "their" and "they're" mixed up.

But I'm trying to overcome my annoyance, I know it's petty of me.

Be at peace,

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

I seen/I done. Seriously, you sound dumb when you say this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 redstar6

Southern Ireland.

I live in England and it seriously pisses me off when people ask me am I from Northern or Southern Ireland.

Funny I don't see Southern Ireland on a feckin map!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Do you take this woman...?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

sasser wrote: »
    I seen/I done. Seriously, you sound dumb when you say this.

I started a thread on those two, it turned into a huge debate.

I hate the misuse of the word "epic". It's a word I used to use to describe themes from movies and movie scenes etc. Now people use it as a substitute for the word "good", which annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭bnt

bazza1 wrote: »
    Do you take this woman...?

Would you prefer "do you take this girl"? No? :eek:

I get annoyed when people pluralise things that should not be pluralised. I also prefer words to be properly capitalised. So you guess what I feel when I read something like "Legos".

No: there are LEGO pieces (note capitals), made by the LEGO Group in Denmark, but there is no such thing as "a Lego". So there's no singular "Lego" thing to pluralise, and thus no "Legos". I will accept "a (quantity) of LEGO" as borderline, since it can be taken as shorthand for "a (quantity) of LEGO pieces".

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

People who say what you are doing and put much at the end.

Happy MUCH?
    Sad MUCH?
    Drink MUCH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I've seen and heard the above words alot, and they are beginning to bug me a little. How many people actually use the words 'yous' and 'yizz' in every day converstaion and why not just use the word "you"?

So what words/phrases irritate you?

Where I work I get lots of letter from elderly people who actually write the word "yous" when talking about my organisation! They are mainly from the ageing Dublin population, although I have one or two the same from Northerners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

bnt wrote: »
    Would you prefer "do you take this girl"? No? :eek:

I get annoyed when people pluralise things that should not be pluralised. I also prefer words to be properly capitalised. So you guess what I feel when I read something like "Legos".

No: there are LEGO pieces (note capitals), made by the LEGO Group in Denmark, but there is no such thing as "a Lego". So there's no singular "Lego" thing to pluralise, and thus no "Legos". I will accept "a (quantity) of LEGO" as borderline, since it can be taken as shorthand for "a (quantity) of LEGO pieces".

Why not get annoyed over something more important then grammar? Far too many wannabe English teachers on AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Confab wrote: »
    Why not get annoyed over something more important then grammar?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Confab wrote: »
    Why not get annoyed over something more important then grammar? Far too many wannabe English teachers on AH.
    Ouch!

Remind me again, what's the title of this thread? What makes my post so different to* the 234 posts that preceded it? Get a life! :p

* yes, it's different to - not different than or from, which you see quite frequently. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

The word Muhammad, don't know why though.

Advertisement