Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoe Width or Cleat Position

• 08-07-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Sorry, if this has been covered already. I am cycling quite regularly and recently switched from pedals with the toe clips to clipless (shimano 105’s). Being a person who goes for brand names, I also went for the shimano 105 shoe, but recently I have noticed I am getting a pain in my toes of my left foot.
    So my questions are would this be caused by a wrong cleat position or could it be the shoe width of the shimano. I have tried moving the cleat but I find I can’t clip out of the pedal if the cleat is in a different position, which can be embarrassing!!
    When I start off the foot feels fine, but within 20km I am getting the numb feeling in my toes of my left foot. I can sometimes relieve the numbness by using the cleat to pull up the pedal rather than pushing forward.
    If its shoe related does anyone know of any wide fitting shoes? Or if its cleat related is it just trial and error and will I have to go through the trial and error every time I fit new cleats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Sounds like the shoe is at fault. (too tight). Try to loosen the shoe a bit. If its not possible to loosen it any further, then you could try streching it.

It could also be the cleat position. Try loosening the cleat bolts (not too much, just enough to allow the cleat to move if you apply sideways pressure with your foot) and ride the bike for a few miles. If this solves the problem, stop, take your foot out of the shoe (leave it on the pedal), then tighten the cleat and your sorted.

Finally if your worried about not being able to get your foot out of the cleat and falling over, make sure the cleat is set to the max. loose setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

hi,
    I agree with Lapierre on the width issue. I was using a pair of Vittoria Cycle shoes and after 50/70 KM on a spin I had to stop as the pain in my foot was killing me.

I did some research on who makes the widest fitting shoes and got a pair..that was a couple of months ago and I have been pain free ever since...
    Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jmdsk

Thanks for that. I have tried loosening off the shoes, but no joy that’s why I was hoping it might be the cleats.
    What type of shoes did you end up buying Moby. I have heard specialized or northwave but the local shops don’t do them. And I don’t really want to go down the road of ordering online and them not fitting again after a couple of spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

hi
    sorry jmdsk I meant to put this in the earlier post. I ended up buying
    sidis .. Ill check the exact type later for you. I bought them in Cyclesuperstore..they were a bit on the expensive side 195 yoyos but they are unbelievably comfortable and I haven't had any foot pain in 4 months and have been peddling 2-4 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

I have a lot of pain in my toes, due to nerves getting pinched between the bones in the ball of my foot, it's particularly bad in hot weather. Try moving your cleats back as far as they can go and see how that works. You may need to drop your saddle a touch. I've gone to the extreme of drilling additional holes in my shoes to place the cleat right back under the arch, which seems to be helping, although I haven't yet got them out for a long spin to be sure. Problems vary, but for more info on mine, google hot foot cycling, and/or arch cleat position.

Specialized BG (Body Geometry) Shoes have several features that might help. They are roomier/boxier around the toes than most shoes, and they have a metatarsal "button" on the insoles that's supposed to help relieve the pressure on the nerves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oheilis

Hey jmdsk, if it's any use to you, I have a pair of Sidi shoes I bought from CRC that are size 43 and are the Mega (wide) version of the shoe. If the size is right you're more than welcome to take them for a test spin if you'd be interested in buying them. They've only been worn twice and are as good as new. PM me if you've any interest and I can send on more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jmdsk

Thanks Oheilis I might take you up on that offer. Im going try a few shops locally tomorrow and see whats there. I'll Pm you after that. Iv'e tried everything with the shoes now. And i was supposed to be doing a 100km+ tomorrow, not going to take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oheilis

No worries, they're Sidi Genius 5.0 Pro shoes anyway. On sale on CRC at the moment for €173. I'll listen to reasonable offers!

Advertisement