Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom broadband modulation? which one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

g.dmt is standard adsl broadband (8mb max) most dsl connections use this
    If you are not on an adsl2+ package and you set the modem to use adsl2+ then it may not sync but it could depend on the modem.

If there is a mixed mode option should select that as it will auto detect the signal type, incase you ever change packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Baneblade wrote: »
    g.dmt is standard adsl broadband (8mb max) most dsl connections use this
    If you are not on an adsl2+ package and you set the modem to use adsl2+ then it may not sync but it could depend on the modem.

If there is a mixed mode option should select that as it will auto detect the signal type, incase you ever change packages.

according to the attached graph, if i am on an adsl 2+ package, then i can get a faster speed than i am currently on.... is this correct... ?

my exchange is adsl2+ enabled. my line can handle 5mb on standard ADSL,, but it may take 6mb on adsl2+?

depending on the line stats possibly 10-12mb
    adsl2+ only really starts at 9mb anything lower and it tends to fall back to adsl and trys to resync

depending on the line stats possibly 10-12mb
    adsl2+ only really starts at 9mb anything lower and it tends to fall back to adsl and trys to resync

my current line attenuation is 50db..

also im on the new NGB package Broadband advanced. syncing at 5120/512 with G.DMT modulation.

my exchange is adsl 2+ enabled a long time now..

so if i get adsl2+ can i squeeze more speed out?

at 50db not likely, your lucky your able to get 5mb

• Advertisement

at 50db not likely, your lucky your able to get 5mb

from the eircom site...

2 - What is adsl2+?

Adsl2+ is the next generation of broadband technology for the provision of broadband services over a copper phone line. Compared to adsl, adsl2+ offers higher speeds over the same phone line enabling you to receive faster connectivity both download and upload, which is ideal for broadband based services such as video conferencing, VoIP, hosted software and backing up data.

according to the above graph i could get a faster speed? if i had an adsl2+ broadband package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

ingen wrote: »
    from the eircom site...

2 - What is adsl2+?

Adsl2+ is the next generation of broadband technology for the provision of broadband services over a copper phone line. Compared to adsl, adsl2+ offers higher speeds over the same phone line enabling you to receive faster connectivity both download and upload, which is ideal for broadband based services such as video conferencing, VoIP, hosted software and backing up data.

according to the above graph i could get a faster speed? if i had an adsl2+ broadband package?

It really depends on the line, distance form the exchange etc.

Even according to that graph, you are lucky you're getting 5mb.

If you had a lower attenuation, and/or lived closer to the exchange, you could indeed have a high possibility of getting faster speeds on ADSL2+ in comparison to ADSL.

It really depends on the line, distance form the exchange etc.

Even according to that graph, you are lucky you're getting 5mb.

If you had a lower attenuation, and/or lived closer to the exchange, you could indeed have a high possibility of getting faster speeds on ADSL2+ in comparison to ADSL.

ok this is what i have now

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

im getting 578 KB/sec in a download at the moment with no drop outs....

this speed is over standard ADSL G.DMT

Downstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5536

Upstream Max Allowed Speed (Kbps) 512

SN Margin down (dB) 6.00 up 19.00

Line Attenuation down (dB) 52.00 up 31.50

CRC Errors down 19 up 0

profile currently set at 6mb on eircom end

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/873240869.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]873240869.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Put 50dB in this calculator
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
    and you'll see the difference is about 200kbps between ADSL and ADSL2+. Since that's a theoretical calculator, you may not even get that. As already said, you're lucky to be getting 5Mbps at all. ADSL2+ will do nothing for you.

Your exchange may be enabled for ADSL2+, but I don't think eircom sell that on any of their commercial packages anyway. You already have the most you'll ever get out of your line.

Your line attenuation is quite high, and SNR extremely low - low enough to experience intermittent drops in connection I'd imagine (does your connection drop frequently?).

These are most likely the reasons you're not getting faster speeds.

SNR generally decreases as your bandwidth increases - and you're really on the lower limit. Its unlikely you will get any more speed out of your line, hence you cannot even get the 6Mbit/s that you're set to.

I'd say you're either quite a distance from the nearest exchange, or your physical line is not in good condition.

• Advertisement

Your line attenuation is quite high, and SNR extremely low - low enough to experience intermittent drops in connection I'd imagine (does your connection drop frequently?).

These are most likely the reasons you're not getting faster speeds.

SNR generally decreases as your bandwidth increases - and you're really on the lower limit. Its unlikely you will get any more speed out of your line, hence you cannot even get the 6Mbit/s that you're set to.

I'd say you're either quite a distance from the nearest exchange, or your physical line is not in good condition.

at 5 never any drops and always rock solid.
    im about 4km from exchange, loop length is 11,000feet ( got this from netopia)

just off the phone with eircom , who tell me that they can move my line to ADSL2+ equipment, done on a per case basis.. i never heard of that..

jor el wrote: »
    Put 50dB in this calculator
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
    and you'll see the difference is about 200kbps between ADSL and ADSL2+. Since that's a theoretical calculator, you may not even get that. As already said, you're lucky to be getting 5Mbps at all. ADSL2+ will do nothing for you.

Your exchange may be enabled for ADSL2+, but I don't think eircom sell that on any of their commercial packages anyway. You already have the most you'll ever get out of your line.

hi yes i was testing my numbers on that calculator, but it seems a bit out, in terms of real world experience.. as i have 5mb rock solid connection.

i suppose i should be happy with my 5mb speed in 2010 :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, but you're doing better than a lot of people... Interesting about moving you to ADSL2+, hadn't heard of them doing this before. I assumed this was for trials or business use. It's not very widespread.

hi yes i was testing my numbers on that calculator, but it seems a bit out, in terms of real world experience.. as i have 5mb rock solid connection.

Well its not an exact science I suppose, but you're doing very well to get that speed, on that line.

I wonder how accurate the Netopia's readings are?

11,000ft = 3.35km - not far off that calculators estimation of 3.8km from the 52dB attenuation.

Also, if your attenuation fluctuates a bit, this could have an effect, as ~49dB will give you the speeds you're getting, using that calculator.

the attenuation is solid and doesent change. however when i plug in the new zyxel modem that modem shows the attenuation as 7db higher than the netopia.

the whole info around the upgrade of exchanges to ADSL2 / ADSL 2+ I was lead to believe that once an exchange was upgraded, users would be given the option of going to ADSL2+ , as its provided by different equipment, and to change over to it involves being moved off the ADSL and patched into the ADSL2+ equipment.

down under in OZ ADSL2+ you can get it as low as 256k speeds.

i was under the impression that eircom would provide ADSL2+ for packages under 10mb.. but it looks like you have to be on one of their top packages to get it..

by the way, the zyxel modem is fantastic... great features....

also eircom told me this evening, on the phone, that my line can support 8mb, i said really? rep said yes we can get an engineer out to have a look at the line, it was then that he mentioned the ADSL2+ patching, I dont think that ADSL2+ could jump 5mb to 8? definately not.. i think.. he gave me a ticket number and all...

attached image of my sn margin rx, monitored it for about an hour.. drops low.

**edit

Sorry, its the SNR Margin you posted, not the SNR.

Even still, you're really riunning on the boundaries of an acceptable SNR margin - and below as it drops to 0 at times, which can result in an inability to surf at all.

This explains the CRC errors you posted in your log earlier.

Are you sure you haven't experienced disconnects?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dub45 wrote: »

yeah read that ages ago.. am always trying for faster speed!

yeah read that ages ago.. am always trying for faster speed!

You could try painting 2 go-faster stripes down your router? :p j/k :D

• Advertisement

You could try painting 2 go-faster stripes down your router? :p j/k :D

done that already :D:D

dropped the speed now to 4mb snr increased nicely.

see graph

done that already :D:D

dropped the speed now to 4mb snr increased nicely.

see graph

The speed dropped though your SNR margin has increased? Hmm.. Whats the line attenuation at the moment? Wondering if weather could be having an effect.

The speed dropped though your SNR margin has increased? Hmm.. Whats the line attenuation at the moment? Wondering if weather could be having an effect.

no i had eircom drop the speed to bring the snr up.
    i am going to double check cabling this evening, to rule out noise on the line...caused by other sources...

attenuation is 51db

Advertisement