Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Gately sculpture to be erected at train station

• 08-07-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

http://www.dublinpeople.com/content/view/3458/57/
    SHERIFF Street’s singing star Stephen Gately will be forever remembered with a sculpture, which is due to be erected at the Docklands railway station next year.
    Northside People can exclusively reveal that a commemorative statue is due to be erected at the station on foot of requests from the Mr Gately’s former Boyzone bandmates - Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch.
    Born and bred in Sheriff Street close to the Docklands station, Stephen Gately’s death while on holiday in Majorca on October 10, 2009, came as a major blow to the area that had watched his rise to stardom after he first auditioned for the boy band in 1993.
    Stephen Gately’s fellow band members will commission the statue, which will celebrate the life of the Northside singer and it’s thought that the statue will be erected and unveiled on March 17 to mark what would have been the star’s 35th birthday.
    Iarnród Éireann has agreed to facilitate the request, which was made by a politician on behalf of the Boyzone members.
    Coincidentally, the request was lodged at almost the same time as members of the city council issued a request for the Docklands station to be renamed the ‘Stephen Gately Station’.
    North inner city councillor Christy Burke (Ind) tabled the motion at the April meeting of the central area committee which his city council colleagues supported.
    However, the renaming request was denied on the basis that Iarnród Éireann now restricts the naming of stations to their geographical location, a policy which was developed on the back of repeated requests to rename stations after celebrities and other well-known figures.
    A spokesperson for Iarnród Éireann confirmed that they had received correspondence from the Boyzone members through a political representative.
    “We have said that we are willing to facilitate this request but ultimately it is a matter for the parties who have requested permission to commission the statue,” he told Northside People.
    “We will work with the parties involved to identify the best possible site for the statue within the station.”
    Cllr Burke welcomed Iarnród Éireann’s agreement to facilitate a memorial of “any shape” in the station in memory of Stephen Gately.
    “I respect the fact that they cannot call the station after Stephen,” he told Northside People.
    “But I’m very glad that they are allowing a sculpture to be put there.
    “It’s will come as great news for Stephen’s parents and his local community.
    “I think the plan is to have a small ceremony on St Patrick’s Day next year which would have been his birthday.”

What are your thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hehehehe, "erected"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

purpur1 wrote: »

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

That is fcuking ridiculous.

Who's paying for this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What time is opening time?

...Seriously though, it could be worse. It could be a statue of Bertie! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I get that they want to commemorate him, but a sculpture is overdoing it. A plaque would have done imo, they're just opening themselves up to criticism with a sculpture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

And where's Luke Kelly's statue that was proposed years ago? Another Sheriff Street resident who had a huge impact on music.

What exactly did Stephen Gately to qualify him for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

brummytom wrote: »

He was in the background while Ronan Keating sang bad music averagely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

FFS at least they are not naming the station after him though. Its also another great opportunity for Boyzone to milk his death some more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Hehehehe, "erected"

:D

I know lots of people liked him and all, but a statue? Really? I didn't realise he was considered this important..... or was he really considered that important and is this just a case of money talks... Nice for his family and fans i guess. Just still a bit baffled tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Should put one of Robert Boyle up instead.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    That is fcuking ridiculous.

Who's paying for this?

Ronan, Keith, Mikey and Shane.

Seriously, I'm surprised this was approved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Why? What a waste of money. Obviously his death was sad but to commemorate him through a statue is a disgrace. A clear waste of money, he doesn't deserve a statue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

:D

I know lots of people liked him and all, but a statue? Really? I didn't realise he was considered this important..... or was he really considered that important and is this just a case of money talks... Nice for his family and fans i guess. Just still a bit baffled tho.

Important? He was a midget that couldn't sing, couldn't dance & happened to make a living out of it.
    And the fact that the other 'Boyz' had to request his statue to be put up just hammers home how attention seeking & stupid they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

One word...tacky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If he wasn't gay he would be getting a statue.. it's just a pretentious effort to show that Ireland respects people's freedoms.. when in fact all it really is is the same old singling out of people that the gay community has been fighting for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm very excited about this ;)

Osu wrote: »
    Why? What a waste of money. Obviously his death was sad but to commemorate him through a statue is a disgrace. A clear waste of money, he doesn't deserve a statue.

At least it's not being funded with public money, now that would be a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wouldn't it make more sense to name a tunnel after him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

And where's Luke Kelly's statue that was proposed years ago? Another Sheriff Street resident who had a huge impact on music.

I second this motion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Another example of the championing of the mediocre that has become so commonplace in this country. I suppose he is the greatest Irish person of all time though, so maybe he deserves a statue... Maybe we should demolish the O'Connell monument and erect a sculpture celebrating Irish boy bands. Rename James Joyce bridge the Nicky Byrne bridge and have a few attachments so the young 'uns can attach their knickers to it.

Seriously, these kind of stories depress me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What are your thoughts??
    It usually prudent to offer your own opinion before asking for others.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wouldn't it make more sense to name a tunnel after him ?

The Port Tunnel perhaps?

Also works on two levels seen as he grew up in a hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Live4Ever wrote: »
    I second this motion.
    Just found this on Facebook:
    There was supposed to be a statue of Luke Kelly done a few years back , it cost 100,000 to make it the Docks fund gave 50,000 as it was to go on the docks . Ive been in contact with the Corpo and many times they have said due to the
    recession no money is available to complete the works.

Yet there's money for a statue of this talentless 'singer'?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Why can they not just let the poor guy RIP.

The other members of Boyzone ought to be ashamed of themselves for the way they have literally milked this poor fellas passing.

Stephen was a great guy and a great ambassador for young people especially for young gay guys who have struggled with their identity but erecting a sculpture is a nice thought but just let him be.

Those media whores would do anything for attention even on the back of a dead guy.

RIP Stephen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wouldn't it make more sense to name a tunnel after him ?

Only if it had a dead end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

TBH it's sad we are building statues for him based on his sexuality. Look at Oscar Wilde, fantastic writer and poet, his sexuality will never be questioned upon as to why a statue of him was built. Stephen Gately, average singer made it famous in a failed boyband, I just don't agree with it at all. In fact I think it's a disgrace.

He got statue because he was gay. What a load of shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jennyfer wrote: »
    One word...tacky
    No, a statue.

When putting up a statue such as this, does public planning permission have to be granted? (I'm thinking obviously not because Boyzone said they'll pay for it so there's probably no problems then..? Just curious?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

*blinks*
    There were six guys in Boyzone?

I thought there were only five.

*blinks*

Dickie Rocks young lad was in it at the start but then he started taking heroin or something.
    Would you blame the fcuker hanging around with that lot?

Dilynnio wrote: »
    Why can they not just let the poor guy RIP.

The other members of Boyzone ought to be ashamed of themselves for the way they have literally milked this poor fellas passing.

Stephen was a great guy and a great ambassador for young people especially for young gay guys who have struggled with their identity but erecting a sculpture is a nice thought but just let him be.

Those media whores would do anything for attention even on the back of a dead guy.

RIP Stephen.

:rolleyes:

Either you're misusing that word or the rest of Boyzone have to be immediately arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

*blinks*

There was almost a seventh with Colin Farrell.

• Advertisement

Dickie Rocks young lad was in it at the start but then he started taking heroin or something.
    Would you blame the fcuker hanging around with that lot?

The funny thing is, when you click on his link on the Boyzone wiki, you get redirected to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

With a statue being built at least it gives Boyzone another documentary on how Steo affected their life and how his statue will be a constant reminder of how great he was.

I'm all for naming the lads toilets in the station after him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

mathie wrote: »
    Good work Councillor.
    Country falling to pieces and you waste your time on this 5hite.

No Stephen Gately was in boyzone, not 5. Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

*blinks*

Yeah, Gay Byrne was kicked out when Loius Walsh caught him snorting cocaine off a groupie's tits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

How many people from Sheriff St have died tragically over the last 30 yrs, and the one they choose to honour is Stephen Gatley? Its a disgrace

Dublin has statues of a prostitute (Molly Malone), a drug addict (Phil Lynott) and I dunno how many murderers (for the cause obviously) but this is taking the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

We can all have statutes of ourselves when we're dead... honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

taking it up the jacksy:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

If they put up this stephen gately erection outside the male bathrooms that would be kinda funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Who's paying for this?

You are of course:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

No Stephen Gately was in boyzone

I heard that rumour too. Apparently he was gentler with Ronan than the other three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

of "any shape"
    Hehe, does this mean that they are taking requests?
    I can think of a few:D

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Hehe, does this mean that they are taking requests?
    I can think of a few:D

dont think too "hard" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

First the train station, now this. There has to be a gate somewhere they could name after him, that would be puntastically AWESOME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ok...if a community feels a former resident deserves a memorial then so be it, who are we to complain, however my blood boiled when i read that this is being pushed by his former manufactured boy band colleagues. It is my understanding also that the people of sherrif st wanted Luke kelly remembered in the same fashion, but it was turned down due to cost issues.
    So surely considering STEO hasn't fully decomposed yet, and Luke Kelly is immortalized in the history of Irish culture, the fairest thing to do is to build the promised Luke kelly statue now, and see how STEO's legacy is in a few years and then immortalize STEO if warrented.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement