Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not going to college - taboo??

• 08-07-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi, starting 6th year in September - have always had good grades, and, fingers crossed it'll stay that way for when I need them most.

Have put a lot of thought into where I'm headed and, have decided that I don't really see myself committing to a course for another few years just yet.
    I'm feeling a need to live a little first, hopefully find myself a small job, save up, and possible travel.

Everyone I speak to though is saying I'm crazy for not heading straight in & getting a degree....

Second-level teaching is something I can see myself going into eventually, but, once I go into it - I know I won't get around to doing all of the other things I want to do. So, before I definitely decide that it's that I want to commit to, I want to just see where life takes me for a few years.

That will then possible lead to having to enter college as a mature student, but, is that really such a big deal?

I just seem to be getting a lot of tuts and suggestions of deferrals at the very least, but, the last thing I want is to start into a course & then decide that's not where my heart is.

Am I really that crazy, or, is it best to stick with what I really want to do?

x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

It's your life. Live it as you want to live it, not as others think you should. If you decide in a few years that college is for you, then there's nothing to stop you becoming a student. And as far as I know, the financial support available from the government is greater as a mature student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭LilMsss

It's entirely your decision, and one, it seems that you have spent a lot of time coming to. It's amazing how your experiences, attitudes and outlook on life change from the time you're a teenager, even until you're 25. I look back on myself in my early 20s and hardly recognise myself!

You need to do what feels right for you, and if travel and figuring out your options is what you want to spend a few years doing, then fantastic, just make sure you have a plan, or at the very least an outline of the sort of things you see yourself doing or even a direction you'd like to go in (which it def sounds like you do).

As a teacher, I see so many of my students, some with fantastic ability and an abundance of talent, but if they're on the wrong course, or if it's not the right time for them to be there (personal issues) then they are not going to achieve their full potential. I teach college level/further education BTW.

You don't have to live up to other people's expectations, cos if you spent your life doing that, you'd never be happy. I came to teaching later in life (over 25) and it was the best decision I ever made, cos if I'd gone into it straight after college, I wouldn't be half the teacher I am now.

And even if you do go ahead with your plan, and realise after a year it's not working, then you can try the college/work route. You're young and have options :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Why can't you get your degree and then travel before you work?

You idea is great in theory but life never works out the way we want it.It's a lot easier to get these things over and done with early, that way they're out of the way and you have something to your name. Plus there's nothing stopping you spending the summers away while you're in college.

Whatever suits you is fine OP, but it might make more sense to get your degree and head then. College is absolutely nothing like school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hi, starting 6th year in September - have always had good grades, and, fingers crossed it'll stay that way for when I need them most.

Have put a lot of thought into where I'm headed and, have decided that I don't really see myself committing to a course for another few years just yet.
    I'm feeling a need to live a little first, hopefully find myself a small job, save up, and possible travel.

Everyone I speak to though is saying I'm crazy for not heading straight in & getting a degree....

Second-level teaching is something I can see myself going into eventually, but, once I go into it - I know I won't get around to doing all of the other things I want to do. So, before I definitely decide that it's that I want to commit to, I want to just see where life takes me for a few years.

That will then possible lead to having to enter college as a mature student, but, is that really such a big deal?

I just seem to be getting a lot of tuts and suggestions of deferrals at the very least, but, the last thing I want is to start into a course & then decide that's not where my heart is.

Am I really that crazy, or, is it best to stick with what I really want to do?

x
    There's nothing crazy about what you're suggesting, but some people will always think that the "normal" thing to do is to go straight on to college, and that anyone who doesn't do that is strange.

The one thing a bit dicey about your plan is the bit I highlighted ... as I know you are aware yourself, getting any kind of half-decent job without qualifications (or even with!) is difficult at the moment, hence one reason for the upsurge in CAO applications over the last couple of years, as very few people are choosing to take a year or two out before college.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Choosing not going to college requires as much soul-searching as deciding what course you'll do in college.

First of all, being realistic, you need something far more solid about what you'll do rather than just vague ideas. Getting a "small job" and saving is grand, but will your parents be happy to accomodate you for another few years? If not, you're gonna have to spend money on your own maintenance, living expenses, transport...it'll all add up. In the end you might find your travel budget is getting chopped down. Also, unless you're extremely lucky or have seriously good connections, or something you're omitting you'll be starting small, like minimum wage.

Have you worked before, even part-time? What d'you reckon your chances of finding a job will be?

Taking a gap year is probably a good idea if you've no idea what you want to do - better than ending up in a course you don't like and dropping out.

If, having examined your circumstances, from talking to your parents and examining your likely situation when you leave school (considering mainly the current jobs market - which is seeking for mainly skilled workers), with a healthy dose of realism, you still think not going to college is a good idea - then by all means go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

dan_d wrote: »
    Why can't you get your degree and then travel before you work?

You idea is great in theory but life never works out the way we want it.It's a lot easier to get these things over and done with early, that way they're out of the way and you have something to your name. Plus there's nothing stopping you spending the summers away while you're in college.

Whatever suits you is fine OP, but it might make more sense to get your degree and head then. College is absolutely nothing like school.

Excellent advice if I knew teaching was definitely the area I was going into. So many people have said this to me, but, I already know a good few people that chose a course just for the sake of it, then, dropped out.
    Really don't want that to be me - I'd rather gain some experience first rather than spend a year starting a course that I'll end up dropping...

The one thing a bit dicey about your plan is the bit I highlighted ... as I know you are aware yourself, getting any kind of half-decent job without qualifications (or even with!) is difficult at the moment, hence one reason for the upsurge in CAO applications over the last couple of years, as very few people are choosing to take a year or two out before college.

^ Absolutely - it's a big issue. The way I'm looking at it though is, if I were to go straight into college (which the majority of my friends are doing), I'd want to be looking for a part-time job for weekends etc anyway. Basically, I'm lucky enough not to under a severe amount of pressure to find a job, I'm young, living at home and thankfully have had enough sense to keep my savings, for me though, it is something I need to do. Being in college though, I'd still want a job - anything I can get really.

So, I'm hoping something will come my way, even something part-time to start me off. If not, then I'll just have to make something for myself.

Certainly don't plan on letting the lack of job opportunities get me stuck in a rut - don't plan on wasting my savings on things like car insurance or a post LC trip to Santa Ponsa....if needs be, I can look into paid short courses and try that route.

I think the main thing is, I just don't want to immediately lock myself into something - I really just want to try things first, explore a bit.
    My list of interests is just endless & I know that having to settle into a degree that really doesn't suit me at this point in time will do my head in.

It's a risk I know, but, it's how I see myself moving forward for the time being :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Fair enough, if that's what you feel.I'll say one more thing, and then after that, it's honestly up to yourself!

You say you don't know what you want, and you want to experience stuff etc,etc. Absolutely understandable but please bear in mind that a lightbulb doesn't go on in your head one day....you probably never will know what you want to do, you'll always wonder what would have happened if you did something else. That's life. Also don't underestimate the jobs market - it's non-existent. You'd want to have a plan in place if you end up with no college course, no job (part time or otherwise) and sitting at home all day...I doubt you're entitled to any allowances (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's not a decision to make lightly, think long and hard before you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Personally, I think you would be well advised to take your arts degree, get your hdip and then go do whatever you want. Assuming you're 19 by the time you leave school, you mess around for 5 years and then your 24. First problem with this is you have very little guarantee that there will be free fees (especially for mature students) when you go back. You're also going to be way older than everyone else, and you'll be nearly 30 just starting your career, which therefore means you'll probably be at home till your 30 at least. Theres nothing to say you can't travel/ get a small job during your course. The holidays are huge.

Really, no-one is really one hundred per cent sure what they want to do at LC, you just have to dive in and find out, and you'll be doing the exact same thing when you're 25. See if you can find work experience within the areas you are interested, lots of places would be interested in free labour while everyone else is gone on holidays. What are you interested in?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It completely depends on what kind of person you are.

I went to college, hated it, dropped out after six weeks, got a job, worked for a year, went and did an arts course and then travelled during the summer. Lots of people said I was mad to drop out, that I would never go back. But that's bull, if you want to do it you will.

In Scandinavian countries it's very normal to start college at 23 - 26 after seeing the world. The big problem is getting a job.You're going to be working very long hours to try and save to travel on minimum wage.
    If I had my time again I would have spent that year after Leaving doing some kind of course, sailing instructor course, lifeguard, anything so I would have had an interesting job during college that pays a bit better than the usual (I made €25 a hour as a swimming teacher for example).

Best of luck with whatever you chose.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I changed my mind everyday in 6th year to wether I was gonna go to college or take a few years off. At the end of the day, if I didn't go to college I wouldn't have any money and all of my mates would be in college and I'd be sitting at home doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Fair play to you for making that decision, it's not an easy one and you will come under a lot of pressure over the course of the year to go to college; from friends, teachers and possibly your parents if they are not aware of your feelings on the matter. We have got into the mode of school - college - work/travel in this country in the last 10-15 years or so, particularly since free education came in which gave people more opportunities to attend college and less college expenses.

I would say take each day at a time. You may find in 6 months time that you still don't want to go to college and follow through with the plan you have outlined above and go as a mature student. You may also decide in 6 months time that yes you have suddenly found something you are interested in and want to pursue that interest at third level ASAP. You could also go through LC year and not want to go to college and work/travel for a year but find at the end of the year that one year was enough and decide to go to college a little earlier than planned.

All I'm really saying is it can be a bit of a relief to have any idea of what you want going into 6th year. My cousin has just done her LC and was changing courses right up until the deadline last week. Every single course on her CAO is completely different so I'm not really sure if she knows what she wants herself.

Do reserve the right to change your mind down the line if you want to though and don't feel you have to stick it out working/travelling if you want to finish it up sooner than you had imagined. Keep your options open.

Advertisement