Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Cycling computer etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Might get the glasses there anyway! Great price? OR are they pure useless.

I have a Cateye 5 (I think) and any time it rains heavy it seems to play up badly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

yop wrote: »
    Might get the glasses there anyway! Great price? OR are they pure useless.

I have a Cateye 5 (I think) and any time it rains heavy it seems to play up badly!

I got a couple of pairs of their glasses before and they are grand. I lose/break stuff all the time so its great having a few pairs around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 -Aviron-

Any opinions on the helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Cheers for that I'll take a look at the cycle computer. If anyone has it could they say if its reliable or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I have the foot pump, works a treat for mtb wheels, glasses are basic but I always pick up a pair or two, I could be wrong but the brake blocks look quite the bargain....
    I have two lidl computers, one still in the box as I'm waiting for the first one to fail, one year on still working away, loads of functions so give it a go but no tantrums if it breaks after a week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

-Aviron- wrote: »

its a helmet ?

(it has to have CE marks etc by law so if it fits - will be heavier than an expensive one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It says no tools needed for installation? I remember before getting a wireless one from argos and it was a disaster. How does this work then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I have the foot pump, works a treat for mtb wheels, glasses are basic but I always pick up a pair or two, I could be wrong but the brake blocks look quite the bargain....
    I have two lidl computers, one still in the box as I'm waiting for the first one to fail, one year on still working away, loads of functions so give it a go but no tantrums if it breaks after a week!

Sorry but did you mean Aldi or are the stock both the same. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

its a helmet ?

(it has to have CE marks etc by law so if it fits - will be heavier than an expensive one)

I would be surprised that lidl/aldi stuff didn't have the CE mark.

I got a foot pump like this from lidi a couple of years ago, and it didn't have a presta valve fitting (or I didn't get one).

Mmm, angle grinder and crappy lock on the same week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

There not, but they are. I think Aldi's gear is better quality though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

20 euro should get you a cateye computer with the same functions (possibly wired but I prefer wireless).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Would those break pads be ok on road bikes? Have generally found Aldi cycling gear to be quite good but also got a bike computer from Lidl's which has never given me a problem.

setanta159 wrote: »
    Would those break pads be ok on road bikes? Have generally found Aldi cycling gear to be quite good but also got a bike computer from Lidl's which has never given me a problem.

The ones in the picture look like v brake pads to me.They may have other ones in stock though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Cheers for that I'll take a look at the cycle computer. If anyone has it could they say if its reliable or not.

I've got the computer and it's grand - 20 quid for a bike computer with HRM and 3 year guarantee can't be sniffed at although many will ;)

the only grip I have with it is HRM strap needs to be well wetted to make good contact on my hairy chest but it does work

3 year guarantee

Lidl and Aldi 3 year guarantee usually involves you paying postage and packing both ways to some obscure foreign outpost.This of course costs more than the item so nobody bothers.

I have emailed the consumer affairs people about this as it really winds me up.

Their stuff is, of course , still covered by statutory minimum guarantees and its generally ok.

The 3 year warranty is a con though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

-Aviron- wrote: »

Rationally, there should be no problem with it. I'm sure it's more than properly CE marked and has passed all the required impact tests.

However, as I've said before, I'd never get a lid from Aldi or Lidl - simply because if I'm going down I don't want to be thinking "Wow, I'm so gald I saved xx euro on this helmet." I'd rather know my bonce was protected by the best bit of kit I could afford.*

*the writer acknowledges that the debate on the protective abilities of helmets is not settled and that wearing a helmet is a matter of choice**

**the writer further accepts that helmet wearing should not be made compulsory because of his aversion to nanny-statism - wearing a helmet should continue to be a matter of personal choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'd rather know my bonce was protected by the best bit of kit I could afford.*
    The more expensive helmets are generally lighter and more comfortable. Some of the very expensive light ones pass EU tests but not the US ones I believe. Arguably the heavier cheaper ones provide more protection.

I have never seen a helmet manufacturer sell their product on the basis of improved safety over other helmets, it is always comfort, lightness, ease of use of the retention system, aesthetics, what the Pros use, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

the pump any use? wanna get one with a pressure reading

Advertisement