Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tubes

• 08-07-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

like the large lad from soccer am, I've got one question, and one question only:
    i need to re-tube a marshall jtm30 1x12 and havent a clue about the pros and cons of different tube makes. can anyone recommend a make for:
    2 x 12ax7a
    2x el34
    1 x ecc83
    not too pushed about getting the sound to break up at a lower level than the stock tubes, also not pushed about spending a fortune.
    cheers lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

You have lots of choices. I re-tubed my Mesa using JJ tubes from Eurotubes in the US. Sounds fine to me.
    I also retubed my Marshall with cryo tubes from WatfordValves in the UK. The cryo's were more expensive but sound great too. I'm no audiophile but either sound fine to me.
    If you go to either of their websites you can order online and they will send out the next day.
    Both will most likely have sets for your amp on their site. Of course you will need someone to re-bias your amp when installing them. (I think you need this on your Marshall, I did, although the MESA is self biasing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

cheers Quattroste, i might get the valves from watford valves and just hand it in to somebody to fit them altogether, save me blowing myself up to bejaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Just to tell you , ecc83 is the same as 12ax7 , so technically you will need 3 12ax7 pre-amp tubes . As for el34s i would go with JJ or sovtek . For pre-amp possibly sovtek .

Make sure the tubes are also biased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

will do mate, thanks.
    just as an aside, i think i heard on here at some stage that the electrolytical capacitors can give hassle if the amp has been left idle for a while... the amp was made in mid 90's, gigged for a year or two, then left idle until a recently. i'm noticing that the volume can fluctuate a lot of the time when playing on a steady setting, plus once she just stopped. after turning it off for a while, it started up again as normal. any help in this regard would be appreciated also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Well I've had a Valve amp for just over a year now and have found that they are very tempermental about things . Bring it Jimi's music store in ballymount , he'll give it a check over , and re-valve . Wouldn't touch it if i was you , valve amps can kill !

• Advertisement
Advertisement