Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Query - Foreign Beers/Good for Yakkin

Options
  • 08-07-2010 4:42pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

I've a friend visiting from the US and I'm meeting them in Kilkenny tomorrow night.

It's their first time in Europe so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a pub with foreign brews on tap?

They are interested in tasting European beers and we will have a lot of catching up to do so would prefer somewhere with no booming music that we'd have to shout over.

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 325_coupe

left bank on parade should do the trick for you
    good selection of european beers in there

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

325_coupe wrote: »
    left bank on parade should do the trick for you
    good selection of european beers in there
    Super. Much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Cleere's on Parliament Street also do a strong selection of foreign beers and have an extensive whiskey menu too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Not on tap, surely?

The beer selection in this country is abysmal. Any time I go to England I get a nice cask ale at 12 degrees C with my meal in the airport but end up getting sh!tfaced because I can't get enough of the stuff; you can't get it at all over here.

Mr Eskimo, your American friend can choose from P!sswater and P!sswater served below zero degrees Celcius (this actually means you can't taste it, which is a distinct advantage, believe me). Bur I suppose, being an eskimo, he is used to that.

The only thing you can give him here which they don't have there is a decent pint of Guinness. He's probably puke his ringhole up if you gave him a Smithers because in America they have delicious local brews that actually DON'T taste like something you would use to de-grease an engine block.

Having said that, Smithwicks is my draught tipple of choice, but I am hardened to it now. I thought we were supposed to be a bloody nation of alcoholics!

Not discerning ones evidently.

Here in Dundalk we have two or three pubs that serve (albeit mainstream) European beers such as Erdinger, Warsteiner, Hoegaarden, Budvar, Staropramen et al. With much more in bottles behind the bar.

Very similar to the Porterhouse outfits in Dublin kind of.

This is kind of what I'm after. We met travelling in NZ where a lot of the local brews are immitations of german or czech beers such as pilsners and white beers. They have been looking to try the European versions since.

I'd sink upteen pints of Guinness myself and am partial to Smithwicks too. They will of course try Guinness but also want them to taste some of the European brews.

Edit - also, it's a She. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I am open to correction on this one of course but I think you're out of luck, bar you head to the marble City for a pint of Kilkenny.

I know The Widow's bar in Parliament street (beside Cleere's) used to have Hoegaarden on draft but that's well gone now and Hoegaarden tastes like someone drank it already anyway. I have never seen the sort of stuff you're after on draught in kilkenny. I'd LOVE if they had, believe me but I think you're stuck with bottles, which is extremely lame, and you'd probably pay over five quid each for a 330cl. Lame-tastic. You might as well stay at home and drink nice beer on your own, which is what I do.

It's not ideal, but at least I am guaranteed intelligent company.

Unfortunately staying at home isn't an option if I want to catch up with my friend.

We'll have to make do with the local stuff or the bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

The Grapevine, on Rose Inn St, has a big selection of world beers, but all in bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think the Hiberian has Paulaner on draught.

Advertisement