Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Wet July?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Pangea wrote: »
    The sun has set behind the mountains ,but the orange glow is still very prominent, and a huge rainbow on the other side of the sky, very nice to look at.

I have a rainbow too! Were are you at? Its a pinky colour here now though and the sun has just set here about a couple of minutes ago. Its purple now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The sun has set behind the mountains ,but the orange glow is still very prominent, and a huge rainbow on the other side of the sky, very nice to look at.

Senor pangea, this is out of season for you. to what do we owe the honour of this special appearance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

owenc wrote: »
    I have a rainbow too! Were are you at? Its a pinky colour here now though and the sun has just set here about a couple of minutes ago. Its purple now.
    Im in SW Donegal .
    Yes its turn more red pink here now also.
    Senor pangea, this is out of season for you. to what do we owe the honour of this special appearance :D
    Yes i have had a suprise stop over ,now stop asking questions and just be grateful for my presence here lol :P

Im in SW Donegal .
    Yes its turn more red pink here now also.

Yes i have had a suprise stop over ,now stop asking questions and just be grateful for my presence here lol :P

aw right now that couldn't be the same rainbow!:eek: You can still see the pink sky after its set like 15 minutes ago! Anyway, it has started spitting rain here which is very late as yous got it hours and hours ago and at the rate its going i'm sure it'll take to 11 until the actual rain gets here going by the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Went pink here too(Castlebar),gone grey now as light faids fast!

• Advertisement

Went pink here too(Castlebar),gone grey now as light faids fast!

Haha its still pink here!:P Yous could never beat me, its bright here at like 4 aswell!:P

1006188l.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Haha its still pink here!:P Yous could never beat me, its bright here at like 4 aswell!:P
    A poster from carndonagh or malin would beat ya :P

A poster from carndonagh or malin would beat ya :P

Not for sunrise or total daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Malin would the record holder for longest daylight in summer and shortest in winter because it is the most northerly point on this green island.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Wait, is the weather a competition now!? :pac:

Danno wrote: »
    Malin would the record holder for longest daylight in summer and shortest in winter because it is the most northerly point on this green island.
    Indeed it would , Co.Donegal is the most northerly county in All Ireland , more northely infact than "Northern Ireland". :)
    Wait, is the weather a competition now!?
    You must be new to the weather forum then :P

Danno wrote: »

yes but sun rises here far earlier and i am earliest on here and latest sunset.:P Its only like 10 degrees further north than me anyway.

yes but sun rises here far earlier and i am earliest on here and latest sunset.:P Its only like 10 degrees further north than me anyway.
    According to yrno coleraine is 1 minute ahead of malin in sunrise tomorrow is at 4:59, its 5:00 for malin head, i assume thats because you are further east, but malin head has 5 minutes later sunset.
    I find it Interesting

Coleraine
    • Sunrise 04:59
    • Sunset 22:03
    Malin head
    • Sunrise 05:00
    • Sunset 22:08
    I also have a sunset for 22:07 for tomorrow as i am further west than you. But you beat me with sunrise by 10 minutes.

By the way the sky is still a wee bit red to the west here, sometimes on a clear evening it never really gets dark to the west, you can see the light, the edge of ireland really.

According to yrno coleraine is 1 minute ahead of malin in sunrise tomorrow is at 4:59, its 5:00 for malin head, i assume thats because you are further east, but malin head has 5 minutes later sunset.
    I find it Interesting

Coleraine
    • Sunrise 04:59
    • Sunset 22:03
    Malin head
    • Sunrise 05:00
    • Sunset 22:08
    I also have a sunset for 22:07 for tomorrow as i am further west than you. But you beat me with sunrise by 10 minutes.

By the way the sky is still a wee bit red to the west here, sometimes on a clear evening it never really gets dark to the west, you can see the light, the edge of ireland really.

Yea so its basically only a few minutes difference, the sky about 2 weeks ago didn't get dark here but it was too the north were it was brightest in fact you could so the hills behind me and the sky if you looked up was still be blue but to the west it would be more darker would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

fryup wrote: »
    i remember when i was a kid early 80s we had great julys & augusts.
    You can leave out the summers of 81 and 85 as they were washouts.

Yea so its basically only a few minutes difference, the sky about 2 weeks ago didn't get dark here but it was too the north were it was brightest in fact you could so the hills behind me and the sky if you looked up was still be blue but to the west it would be more darker would it not?
    Well it would be a lot more west than north here where the light would be remaining , i guess north west would be about the best way to describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Wouldn't Belmullet/NW Mayo have a longer evening than Malin Head/Donegal at this time of year? (not that 1 minute here, 30s there would make much of difference anyway!)

Wouldn't Belmullet/NW Mayo have a longer evening than Malin Head/Donegal at this time of year? (not that 1 minute here, 30s there would make much of difference anyway!)

Correct , Belmullet
    • Sunrise 05:19
    • Sunset 22:10

Sunset 2 minutes later sunset than Malin (approx)
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Mayo/Belmullet/

Although Sunrise is significantly later than Malin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Interesting so that even Castlebar has a 'longer' evening than Coleraine:

Coleraine Sunset: 22.03
    Castlebar Sunset: 22.05

which would prove this comment by Owen to Oscar Bravo (Castlerbar)
    Owenc wrote:
    Yous could never beat me, its bright here at like 4 aswell!:p

to be completely and unconditionally flawed! :p

• Advertisement

Interesting so that even Castlebar has a 'longer' evening than Coleraine:

Coleraine Sunset: 22.03
    Castlebar Sunset: 22.05

which would prove this comment by Owen to Oscar Bravo (Castlerbar)

to be completely and unconditionally flawed! :p

Aye but its bright here like 30 minutes before some people. Sure they are 2 whole degrees further west.

Why do you think that we are far more northern than them but if it they weren't so far west we would have a longer night than them. i'm for checking day lengths.

Here are daylight hours.

Mainlin head: 17 hours and 6 minutes.

Coleraine: 17 hours and 4 minutes.

Most north west part of galway (or whatever you call it.) 16 hour and 52 minutes.

Told you they had no chance, plus our twilight lasts all night theirs dosen't.

On the longest day

Coleraine: 17 hours and 26 minutes.

Manlin head 17 hours and 28 minutes

Then on the shortest day:

Coleraine: 7 hours and 7 minutes.

Mainlin head: 7 hours and 5 minutes.

So much for the longest day (by 2 minutes.):rolleyes: If they weren't as far north as us they would be far shorter than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Ah who cares who has the longest days or night or shortest days or nights.

The important thing is Kilkenny is the hottest place in Ireland during the summer, current record holders at 33.3C.
    Last winter it was officially the coldest place -16.6C

Now what do win?

Heatstroke and frostbite?

Min wrote: »
    Ah who cares who has the longest days or night or shortest days or nights.

The important thing is Kilkenny is the hottest place in Ireland during the summer, current record holders at 33.3C.
    Last winter it was officially the coldest place -16.6C

Now what do win?

Heatstroke and frostbite?

I care! The warmest temperature this summer was in castlederg in ni at 27c.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I care! The warmest temperature this summer was in castlederg in ni at 27c.:P
    Well why don't you make a thread somewhere else about it then...

This is a thread about wet weather in July, dontcha know?

Yesterday consisted of constant "spitting rain" from about 10am until 4pm where it became more intense. So I could say it's been raining/drizzling for over a day now, but also only 8 hours of it has been in any way heavy. It's atrociously foggy here as well as very showery, it normally doesn't rain so heavily when there's low cloud around. Cloud tends to hang around a bit longer when you live higher up anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It does look like a wet pattern like last years, is starting to set up. It looks like low after low is queueing up in the Atlantic to hit us.
    I am glad I havent picked July for my wedding next year. The wet july pattern sure looks like its the norm now!

It does look like a wet pattern like last years, is starting to set up. It looks like low after low is queueing up in the Atlantic to hit us.
    I am glad I havent picked July for my wedding next year. The wet july pattern sure looks like its the norm now!

I hope this isn't for lasting into the winter or i won't get my arctic winter again.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Taking a look into fantasy land on wetternzentral it appears to settle down around 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

I hope this isn't for lasting into the winter or i won't get my arctic winter again.:(

i think we have had our summer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

mike65 wrote: »
    Taking a look into fantasy land on wetternzentral it appears to settle down around 22nd.
    Damn. The grass is going to love this soaking today. With showery weather on the cards for the next few days at least, cutting the lawn will be a disaster:(

It will be ironic if rainy weather lasts long enough to cause problems for cutting silage, having had a poor growing season from the lack of rain in many parts...

Advertisement